StromTrooper banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
You should hear the Buell 1125 vtwin. It sounds like a sewing machine at idle.

I got hammer knock after about 1300 miles. I just keep the clutch pulled when it’s at idle if I’m on it. It’s far less noticeable. Just rolled over 16,000 today and I am starting to notice some clutch shudder. I was thinking about getting a new strom but if they have the same issues I reckon I’ll just keep my 14. I like it’s beak better anyway. Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Sounds exactly like the '18 xt I'm picking up today.

I'm going to go with ride and forget it.

Oh, and I'm dropping 20w50 in her as soon as she gets home. I bet that settles her down a bit :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the video of it. What do you think... Clutch or idle hammer?

Thanks corndog, I'll reach out to him.
FWIW, my 2019 that I bought brand new 3 weeks ago sounds exactly like that. I changed the oil @ 550 miles and she has 700 miles on the clock now. That sound is what drove me to this forum....glad to find out it's "normal".

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
How is the bike with 20w-50?
I love the 20w50 Valvoline in this bike. I have 3k miles on the oil and it shifts better now then when I first dropped it in.

And, I'm still riding it in freezing temps. To be fair the bike goes garage at home to garage at work. I'll be doing a change to 10w40 Valvoline for the winter, then back to 20w50 as soon as it goes above freezing again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love the 20w50 Valvoline in this bike. I have 3k miles on the oil and it shifts better now then when I first dropped it in.

And, I'm still riding it in freezing temps. To be fair the bike goes garage at home to garage at work. I'll be doing a change to 10w40 Valvoline for the winter, then back to 20w50 as soon as it goes above freezing again.
Thanks for the feedback. Are you referring to VR1 Valvoline?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Are you referring to VR1 Valvoline?
Good old conventional.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Sounds exactly like the '18 xt I'm picking up today.

I'm going to go with ride and forget it.

Oh, and I'm dropping 20w50 in her as soon as she gets home. I bet that settles her down a bit :grin2:
I have been running 20w50 Amsoil in my 18 dl 1000 made no diff. in the idle hammer, its been banging away for 17,000 mi but it did help the shifiting, sounds the same as it did new. Ear plugs are your friend if it bothers you. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
First 2 changes were 10-40. Since then 15-50 Mobil 1. Slightly quieter, but not much. My 650 was always making lots of noise(122K) just like the 1000. Nature of the beast.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts