StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Need to hear more. ? What were you riding before? How do these ride?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice. :thumbup:

I pick up my black 2018 DL1000XT this Tuesday.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Finally took possession of our new bikes this week, first impressions, these bikes are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I am doing the deal tomorrow on a 2018 XT1000. Same colour! Cannot wait to see how this bike rides.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Finally took possession of our new bikes this week, first impressions, these bikes are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Nice pair of bikes! I've got the same one but non XT, didn't want the spoke wheels.

I'm really enjoying mine, after spending the last year on an ST1300 it feels so light!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pick me bike up on Saturday, or Friday if they can swing it. Supose to rain Saturday, which is not a good time to ride a new bike, with technologies on it that I have no familiarity with. Learning traction control, slipper style clutch and advanced abs system.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Holy cats, the '18 Stroms are popping up all over all of a sudden. And I thought I was one of the few...
Now start hoping the '19's aren't throttle by wire with cruise control. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
What grade fuel is being burned in these?
I understand Suzuki specifies Premium, but 90 octane, which is more mid-grade juice here in the USA.
I get me mine Monday and may just need to refuel IF enough rain has washed the most recent layer of salt off the roads.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What grade fuel is being burned in these?

I understand Suzuki specifies Premium, but 90 octane, which is more mid-grade juice here in the USA.

I get me mine Monday and may just need to refuel IF enough rain has washed the most recent layer of salt off the roads.

Not sure of the US, but in Canada the fuel grades are: 87(low grade), 89(mid grade), 91(premium grade). I generally only fill up at Shell, unless I am running into a fuel starvation issue. Shell, at least here in Canada, does not put any ethanol in their premium fuel. That is important to me, as ethanol lowers the octane rating of fuel, and therefore additives go into the fuel to bring the octane back into spec.

UPDATE: I originally had Octane 90 as premium. This is not the case. It is actually 91. My bad.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Not sure of the US, but in Canada the fuel grades are: 87(low grade), 89(mid grade), 90(premium grade). I generally only fill up at Shell, unless I am running into a fuel starvation issue. Shell, at least here in Canada, does not put any ethanol in their premium fuel. That is important to me, as ethanol lowers the octane rating of fuel, and therefore additives go into the fuel to bring the octane back into spec.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
So 90 then eh?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,256 Posts
Shell, at least here in Canada, does not put any ethanol in their premium fuel. That is important to me, as ethanol lowers the octane rating of fuel, and therefore additives go into the fuel to bring the octane back into spec.

I wish we had non ethanol fuel here in the Houston Texas area.

Ethanol is actually a high octane fuel. Comes in around 113 octane. Additives are added to force it to blend into the gasoline and not separate, other additives are anticorrosion. Most other additives are the same you will find in non-ethanol gasoline.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Everything around me is 87, 89, or 93. I never use 87 in my V2 but have used 89 with no ping/detonation. I normally use 93. I wonder if it is cheaper to use 87 and an octane booster? :) You can find non-ethanol premium here but it is more expensive than blend premium.

My current prices:
$2.13 87
$2.33 89
$2.53 93

·
Registered
468 Posts
Everybody makes a big deal about ethanol blended fuel, but I think modern fuel systems are built for it. The problems come in when you have an older carburated engine from the pre-ethanol era; some of their parts don't hold up well with it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Everybody makes a big deal about ethanol blended fuel, but I think modern fuel systems are built for it. The problems come in when you have an older carburated engine from the pre-ethanol era; some of their parts don't hold up well with it.

The problems I had with ethanol was with my POS Jeep. The fuel tank bladder ended up having issues. If I am paying premium prices, I want full fuel with no crappy ethanol to steal energy from the fuel. Which is what ethanol does.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Boy I hate the price of Premium 93 octane fuel.
Mid-grade is 90 octane, costs less.
And all I buy is Top Tier.
If the manual does in fact say 90, then no reason not to give it a try.
Bike arrives today. I guarantee you they didn't fill it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I wish we had non ethanol fuel here in the Houston Texas area.

Ethanol is actually a high octane fuel. Comes in around 113 octane. Additives are added to force it to blend into the gasoline and not separate, other additives are anticorrosion. Most other additives are the same you will find in non-ethanol gasoline.

Yes, ethanol does increase octane, but this is the caveat: Ethanol causes a loss of energy in gasoline by 39.64% by measured energy per equal part ( energy per gasoline is 44.4ml/kg, where as ethanol 26.8ml/kg). Which means you are getting better anti knock properties with ethanol fuels, ceteris parabis, but you are getting less energy per equal volumes of blended (ethanol) vs non blended ethanol gasoline. What does this mean: a loss in horsepower is a direct measurement of the loss you will experience with ethanol blended fuels.

Do not confuse octane with power. They are not the same thing. Octane is merely the ability to control ignition, while important in an overall power rating, is only a part of.

For those reasons I always source non ethanol fuels when I can as I get “more bang” per buck.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts