StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to say I am very disappointed. After almost a year of research, at the end of February I purchased my first ever new bike, and first one since the early 80’s. I have been renting and stealing rides for years on other bikes and decided I wanted to ride my own while I can still enjoy it.

This weekend it was time for my first oil change. Competed it and within minutes of running the bike after the change, the noise coming from the clutch was obviously noticeable compared to the little bit of rattle I had when releasing the clutch in neutral when I first got the bike.

i was hoping it was just me being paranoid so I geared up and hit the road this afternoon to test ride and play with a video camera to record the ride.

I wasn’t 15 minutes away from home when the clatter from the engine area was so bad it was vibrating the foot pegs and handlebars. I headed straight back to home base thinking there was something seriously wrong. Coming from the engine area I thought the worst.

I called my dealer service who ignored my call so had to call the sales guy and ask for a favor to get service to call me to see what they could do. I have a big ride coming up Friday and don’t want to cancel with a dead bike. Even that didn’t help so will have to try in the morning.

So now, time to do research. Longer story short, I find out this is a typical issue with the bike and you just have to deal with the noise. I probably could if it was just noise, but the rattle and associated vibration makes it almost impossible to ride. The 8 hour ride I have planned for 3 days from now won’t happen if they can’t fix it. Everything I see says I need a new clutch basket and a Suzuki model won’t help. Clutchwerks makes the one I need, but I still have close to 5 years of warranty. That’s not going to happen.

I wish I had known about this before as it would have weighed in on my purchase decision. What the dealer does to make this right (hopefully before my big ride) will determine my next rant :0

Rant 1/2 over. Stay tuned for the results... and be safe all!

·
Administrator
16,973 Posts
No vibration with idle hammer, just an annoying knocking sound. You getting vibration and rattling is something else entirely.....shouldn't have occurred from an oil change with everything done correctly, and in particular when everything was fine before the oil change. You don't magically have clutch chudder from an oil change, in particular the first oil change......it occurs over time and the newer 1000's don't suffer from it nearly as bad as the first gen 1000's. I'm sure Terry will see this thread, but hope your dealer figures something out........

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 2018 1000 XT. I have 900km on it. I will go for a ride and do my first service today. I will let you know what happens to me. My bike currently has the same clutch rattle at an idle with the clutch released but nothing serious.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I have a 2018 no clutch chudder, however it has idle hammer I was disappointed like you to have this on a new bike.:mad: But saying that I have put on 20,000 mi on it, runs great only hear the noise at idle, I don,t worry about it just ride it and have fun.:)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
No, I seriously don't think that is a bad clutch or idle hammer. I think it is either a coincidence (which I don't usually believe in) or something moved when you did the oil change. Depending on how well the dealer's assembly monkey (lots of dealers use untrained temps to assemble new bikes) did his job or even a hiccup on the assembly line, it may be something like a loose motor mount, for example. Something like that would be a quick and painless fix if the dealer cooperates.

Please let us know.

Glenn

·
Registered
455 Posts
Glenn, Lots of people complain of increased noise after the first oil change. It remains a mystery here. But no one ever says it's accompanied by any vibration. I suspect the open is so disappointed in noise that he now feels there is vibration as well. It is possible to increase the chatter they make after first oil change. unlikely to make any difference in performance however.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Glenn, Lots of people complain of increased noise after the first oil change. It remains a mystery here. But no one ever says it's accompanied by any vibration. I suspect the open is so disappointed in noise that he now feels there is vibration as well. It is possible to increase the chatter they make after first oil change. unlikely to make any difference in performance however.
Yeah, it was the comment about the vibration that got my attention, Dave. I thought I read somewhere before about a loose motor mount bolt and vibration. Yes, also about the different oil making more noise. There was even some question at one point if the factory put straight 30 weight in the engine. But, that usually relates to idle hammer, doesn't it?

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
153 Posts
I went for a 100km ride and then did my first service today. Then headed out for another 100km ride. I don’t notice any difference at all. In sound or performance. If anything, it might be a bit smoother at 5000rpm. I know oil threads are a big issue for some reason but I feel it may be relevant. I used a k&n filter and Motul 5100 10w 40. I am not about to start with this is the best talk. Just simply saying that’s what I used and those are the results I got. Seems like I just got the lucky bike. Checked my TPS position as well. It was also correct.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Idle hammer has been reported repeatedly after the first oil change. No clear reason why this is so. Idle hammer is NOT clutch shudder that is typically at 4k to 5k rpm.

Idle hammer often is reduced when you pull in the clutch. That puts a little load on the crank to clutch gears and dampens the crank from bouncing laterally. Some make a real racket others some and then others don't have the rattle at all. They run just fine regardless if they rattle or not.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,297 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your clutch. It isn't what is making the noise you now hear.

The vibrations you seem to feel are likely nothing that wasn't there already. You are looking for something now that the noise has started and you are likely simply thinking the vibrations are different. Due to the natural desire to look for something wrong.

You have Idle Hammer. The 2104+ DL 1000, and I assume the 1050 will be the same as it is the same engine, are more prone to this. Due to a different crankshaft and rotor. It is VERY common for this to start immediately after the first oil change. That is the only real mystery to it, and no one has a definitive answer for why that is.

It is caused by a side to side movement in the crankshaft. Two things cause this, in my opinion. First is the connecting rods sit side by side on the same crank throw. When one cylinder fires it pushes the crank to one side, when the other cylinder fires it pushes it back the other way. The crank hitting one side then the other is the noise. There is also another possible factor...which is the helical cut gears on the end of the crank. At certain rpm, these can tend to slide the crank from side to side during the firing cycles of the pistons. Working with the offset of the crank, these cause the crank to slap back and forth.

Usually worse when the engine is hot and temps are hot. Heavier viscosity oil can dampen it...slightly. Different oils seem to have no real effect.

While I understand an owners instinct is to think the bike is faulty, the fact is that this DOES NOT EVER CAUSE A FAILURE! There are bikes that have done this for well over 100,000 miles with no side effect from it. Suzuki knows about it. They do not consider it a problem....because it does not cause any problems. Most of the time when an owner understands what it is, they accept that it is simply the "character" of the engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks for your response. The dealer assured me it was normal but it has gotten so bad it is very distracting. Odd that I hadn’t read about his ‘feature’ of the bike when I researched for it for so long prior to buying it.
Ride safe!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Many thanks for your response. The dealer assured me it was normal but it has gotten so bad it is very distracting. Odd that I hadn’t read about his ‘feature’ of the bike when I researched for it for so long prior to buying it.
Ride safe!
Every bike I’ve ridden has one (annoying) “feature” or another like this. Ex. Brand new Ducati Multistrada 950. Could not get the damn thing into neutral at a light to save my life. Come to find out...that’s a “Ducati thing,” it supposedly gets better (though most seem to admit it still is annoying well after break-in), and is just part of the charm of riding one.

As the salesman put it...”it’s not a big deal if you don’t come to a stop too often.” :unsure: He says to the guy that rides and commutes in an area with some of the shittiest traffic in the country.:LOL:

So it is with that comparison that I don’t let this sound bug me too much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2018 1000XT has the idle hammer (1700 miles) does not bother me at all. No vibrations I’ve noticed however.

You would hate my Ducati 1198 with its open dry clutch and vented pressure plate. Oh the glorious chatter!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine had idle hammer too especially after the first oil change. Funny to see this same old bug bear cropping up over and over.

To the OP I would say just forget about it as most of us do and enjoy a very good motorcycle. If there is vibration then that is indeed unusual and needs follow up.

Just as well You didn't buy a Ducati with a dry clutch. You wouldn't even have taken that out of your drive. 😆😆

·
Registered
71 Posts
I threw in some mobil 1 V twin 20/50 it's better and I'm so used to the chatter now that I don't even notice it. Doesn't bother me at all.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2018XT, after the oil change the noise appeared, I thought it was the main bearing and figured I had lost oil. I too didn't know about this issue until after it happened to me. I feel confident the engine will last thanks to all those who reassured me. Yes it does suck that a new bike has a noise like this, but I wear earplugs when I ride anyway. As for a vibration, I am use to my DR650, the V is smooth compared to it. lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts