StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be unveiled in Cologne this October. Some have speculated on a shaft drive. Anyone else heard anything?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Same O Same O

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
My wish list

- 21 in front, 19 rear would get the ground clearance up
- Move the front fender up an inch or two
- Have an option for spokes for those that think it is needed
- A larger tank wouldn't hurt
- Move the oil filter someplace else
- Switchable ABS
- Quality paint
- Change the way the foot pegs mount so they don't break every time the bike tips over.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Let's not forget the reverse gear and the two full-size spare tires! :D

Reactions: Big B and notacop

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess we will know soon enough. My bet would be a new engine but no shaft drive. If there is a major change better get what after market items you need for your V2 because they will dry up fast. I can be happy with my V2 for a long time, it may be the last road bike I own.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My guess is if there are any real changes to the engine it will be the variable valve timing that Suzuki patented recently. That should add some torque and HP. One other obvious change would be to build a XT version like they did with the 650 and maybe add something like cruise control and throttle by wire. Anything more than will push the price up too much.
No shaft drive. That would require a major change to the engine design. Same for moving the oil filter location. They'd have to design a whole new engine for those changes. Not going to happen.
As for 21" front wheels and 18" rears I doubt that will happen either. I know some of you want this to be the case but you're in the minority in my opinion.
If buyers really wanted bikes like that the manufacturers would already be building them. For the most part a GS is just an RT for tall people.
They're too big, heavy and expensive for most people to even consider taking down some steep rock strewn ravine or goat track as they don't have the skill to do it and if they do a smaller lighter bike would be much better at it anyway.
I know some of you do that but the vast majority of any of these bikes will never see anything tougher than a dirt road and many won't even ever do that so you really don't need bigger wheels which will take away from the roadworthy nature of these machines.
I'm interested to see just how many Africa Twins Honda actually sells.

·
Registered
525 Posts
New spy pics of 2017 dl1000 :jawdrop::jawdrop::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:
now more off-road capable

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,816 Posts
Yeah I was pretty sure we went though the VVT patent here a few years ago. I thought it was further back than 2015.. perhaps a couple of years before the 2014 DL1000 was first shown.

VVT would be great.. I am surprised that Direct fuel injection hasn't worked it's way to bikes yet. It offers so many benefits without adding much in the way of mechanical complexity.

..Tom

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they will be available in a year or two heavily discounted, same as the DL1000 and Super Tenere.
There is a dealer in the Twin Cities that has had four of them for several months. It's not that there is anything wrong with any of these bikes, it's the diminishing economy. I bought my first big bike at 24. Was supporting myself. Now days, that age group has zero disposable income.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts