StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I know this topic has been discussed in great lengths on many threads and I hate to start a new one but i just wanted to give some of my observations and hopefully it could help someone else find a solution to their problem.

I decided to conduct 3 tests. Each test will have the exact same route and distance. I tried to the best of my abilities ride in 4th gear between 4500 and 6000 rpm. That's roughly 100km/hr which is the speed limit most hwys in Canada are at. (Unless you live in New Brunswick 120km/hr)

Bike details
2017 650x
8000km

Accessories installed
Givi 55l top case (came with the bike, personally I don't like it, but I felt the vibs with it on initially)
Givi engine guards.
Givi airflow windscreen.
(I guess the previous owner liked Givi)

Test 1.

Ride the bike with all accessories. While in 4th gear at 4500 rpm I can feel vibs in the frame directly below the seat and passenger grab handles. Crash bars buzzing alot. (I know its subjective)

Test 2.

Remove Givi top case. Again. Ride in 4th gear at 4500 rpm range. Not much noticable diff in vibs in frame below seat. But do notice without the top case the vibs in the passenger handles are much less. Still there but less.

Test 3.

Strap engine bars together in the front. Strap was done by hand no ratcheting. Off I went and this time notice a decrease in the frame below the seat vibs. also notice the engines bars vib less as well. Wish givi had put a brace bar up near the top along with the lower one.

The next steps are to remove the bars to truly see if they are the root cause of the vibration. However I am not sure I want to go that far, I've recently installed an air seat and that almost entirely eliminated the vibs coming from frame under the seat. It is a solution for now. I am off on holidays starting next week. Going to ride up to Sault Ste. Marie find some nice long drives. See how I feel at the end of my holidays as to if I should remove the crash bars.

Hope this give some insight and helps someone else find their vib issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For what is worth, I had vibrations that were bothering me in my '18 XT Adventure (comes with OEM crash bars and aluminum side cases).
Went to the dealer (bike had 3k km at the time) and asked them to have a look; they re-torqued a bunch of bolts, including thrust adjuster, crash bars and paniers mounting hardware and vibrations are now gone; I had to pay for 0.5 hours of work. I can finally (happily) cruise at 110-110 km/h. Since the bike hit the 5k km mark, I have a feeling there even less vibrations now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For what is worth, I had vibrations that were bothering me in my '18 XT Adventure (comes with OEM crash bars and aluminum side cases).
Went to the dealer (bike had 3k km at the time) and asked them to have a look; they re-torqued a bunch of bolts, including thrust adjuster, crash bars and paniers mounting hardware and vibrations are now gone; I had to pay for 0.5 hours of work. I can finally (happily) cruise at 110-110 km/h. Since the bike hit the 5k km mark, I have a feeling there even less vibrations now.
Thought about re-torquing the bolts and thrust adapter. Ordered the thrust socket from Amazon yesterday, should be arriving in the next day or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Let us know how it goes; I think you need to remove the engine mount bolt, and thus need to support the engine with a jack. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, thus preferred to have the dealer deal with it for all of 30 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts