StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing online at a local dealer a 2017 VStrom. No price listed. What would you consider a fair price would be for a 3 year old new one? At another local dealer they are advertising a 2019 VStrom 650 for $6499 and a 2019 VStrom 650 XT Touring for 7499. Those prices already include the Suzuki cashback plus dealer discount. What do you think?

·
Registered
468 Posts
What do you think?
I think the prices you're quoting likely don't include all the BS fees dealers tack on, and that used is always better, even if you have to buy from out of town and use U-Ship to bring it home.

In summer of 2018 I bought a pristine 2017 with 2,040 miles for $5,400 and paid less than $300 to ship it home (Pittsburgh to South Carolina). It had a few expensive add-ons too. The bike was only months old, from the previous model year, and I paid no surprise hidden fees. Search for a good used low-miles 3rd gen that someone else has already paid to farkle up. They're out there, and it's not hard to do your due diligence to make sure the seller is legit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A dealer can advertise any price they want, then once they get you in the door, they'll add all kinds of extra charges bumping the price up buy thousands. I always make a deal for the OTD price then subtract sales tax and state registration to get the real price I'm paying for the vehicle. Once the OTD price is agreed upon, the dealer can write up the deal any way they want and include whatever fee they want, but in the end it will end up being the same agreed OTD price.

Back in December I bought a new, not a scratch on it, 0 mile 2019 VStrom 650xt Touring with an advertised out the door price of $8940. After subtracting tax, $619, and registration, $206, the actual sales price of the bike was $8115. The dealer wrote up the deal how they wanted, with a low sales price of $7196 then added a freight charge, a handling charge and documentation fee, but in the end it all added up to the same OTD price of $8940. Now to find out if I got a good deal I look at the MSRP plus freight, which for this bike was $10394, then subtract the sales price I paid for the bike. So in the end I got a $2279/nearly 22% discount off the bike. Which I didn't think was all that bad considering the bike was the current model year when I bought it and the touring model comes with a lot of extras, (side cases, a center stand, and crash bars), which I would have had to buy for the bike anyway.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The biggest difference between the '17 and '19 is the 2019 has 4-way flashers, the 2017 does not. If saving money is a high priority, then @brock29609's recommendation is the way to go: start scouring the online marketplaces. there's bound to be a few out there that bought new and are now having second thoughts or a life changing event is compelling them to sell. The biggest disadvantage would be that there is likely no warranty left, but there may be some accessories already on the bike that you'd install anyway. I bought my 2017 DL650 new in 2018 and got a $1250USD rebate and Suzuki hard bags and mounts thrown in, ~$800USD retail value. There was a $200USD setup charge and $50 document fee itemized separately, the latter pretty standard practice on a new or used vehicle. Out the door incl all taxes and fees was $5000 plus my '01 Kawasaki ZX11 Which I was happy with, as I didn't want to deal with selling my 16 year-old crotch rocket.
YRMV

·
Registered
468 Posts
The biggest difference between the '17 and '19 is the 2019 has 4-way flashers, the 2017 does not.
I saw some early press releases regarding the '19 that stated hazard lights were added, but several North American owners have stated here that their 2019 actually doesn't have them. I've yet to hear of any 3rd Gen North American model having them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've kept on searching and found a 2019 XT for an out the door price of $7158, but I would also have to have it shipped so I'm thinking that may add another $400 to the cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you are buying the bike from out of state, another expense that might need to be considered is tax and registration in your home state. Back in 2008 I bought a new Moto Guzzi from a dealer in Ohio. Cost about $600 to have the bike shipped to me. When I went to register the bike here in AZ, the state wanted their tax as did the city where I live. I also had to pay the registration fee, so on that bike it was about $2,000 added to the dealer's OTD price when all the expenses were figured, OTD price + shipping + sales tax + registration. Here in AZ, property taxes are what I would call reasonable. Where they get us is the sales tax and vehicle registration fees which are what I would call outrageous, the yearly registration on my Goldwing is around $500. But I guess they need to get their money somewhere. You may live in a state with low sales tax and registration fees so buying out of state might be a good idea if you can find a good deal. But one thing you might want to think about if you are buying something without inspecting it's condition first. What if it shows up at your door and it's not how the dealer described or it gets damaged during transport. Me personally I would not want to deal with that problem, and the possibility of the dealer claiming the bike was perfect when they shipped it and the shipper claiming that's how they got the bike from the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm seeing online at a local dealer a 2017 VStrom. No price listed. What would you consider a fair price would be for a 3 year old new one? At another local dealer they are advertising a 2019 VStrom 650 for $6499 and a 2019 VStrom 650 XT Touring for 7499. Those prices already include the Suzuki cashback plus dealer discount. What do you think?
I just purchased (1/28/2020) a new 2018 650XT advertised at $5999 and yes that price did include the $1250 Suzuki customer cash back. But with the $495 destination fee, $176 dealer prep fee, $190 doc fee, $35 registration fee, and MI 6% sales tax the total cost was $7298 out the door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting a 2019 VStrom XT. Going to go with a local dealer instead of the out of state one. Once I factor in the shipping cost the local dealer OTD price will be only a couple hundred more. I've already arranged financing, and put a hold on the bike. Just need to get back there with my bike to see what the offer in trade in. If its good enough I may just go for the XT Touring version. Hopefully it'll be all done by Saturday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw some early press releases regarding the '19 that stated hazard lights were added, but several North American owners have stated here that their 2019 actually doesn't have them. I've yet to hear of any 3rd Gen North American model having them.
2019 USA model here confirmed does not have 4 way flashers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts