StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had 2 Wees, both 2008’s. I just bought a 2017 and was wondering if some people are still raising forks slightly for better handling on the newer bikes? My previous two were raised and it seemed to help

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I also loved my Wee after raising the fork tubes through the clamps, if I had not done that I doubt I would have kept the bike.

I have a 2014 1000 and I raised the tubes on that but the handling difference is not as pronounced as it was on the Wee.

I have stuck with it but I was hoping for a bigger result.

Do one side at a time, it's quick and easy to do and reverse if required so give it a go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, I’ll go ahead and do it. An added bonus of a little more cable slack for my handlebar risers wouldn’t hurt

·
Registered
282 Posts
By raising forks you mean inside triple clamps effectively decreasing the rake, right?
I do this on my dirt bikes sometimes, it does helps with low speed tight trails handling but
on high speed stability the opposite is true. V-Strom front feel is a bit light indeed so raising
forks may help with that, is it noticeable? too bad it will decrease GC.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
How much did you raise it Brock? It seems I have parroted all your mods so far, and I like them!!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
...I have a 2014 1000 and I raised the tubes on that but the handling difference is not as pronounced as it was on the Wee.

I have stuck with it but I was hoping for a bigger result.
I'm not necessarily recommending it but, have you considered 1" raising links on the rear?

·
Registered
532 Posts
7/8th of an inch is what I did on my 2017, along with 1” in the rear. Handled great and no problem in 5000 miles when I sold the bike. I got the number from several old posts here including one from Greywolf as I recall.

·
Registered
473 Posts
An added bonus of a little more cable slack for my handlebar risers wouldn’t hurt
Sorry to inform you that this will have no effect on your cable slack. The height of the forks does not narrow any handlebar-connected cable's distance between its two connection points. The only line that will get added slack is the brake line that travels from the ABS unit above the radiator to the right caliper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to inform you that this will have no effect on your cable slack. The height of the forks does not narrow any handlebar-connected cable's distance between its two connection points. The only line that will get added slack is the brake line that travels from the ABS unit above the radiator to the right caliper.

You’re right. Luckily that’s the one cable I needed a little more slack in. Haven’t done a long ride yet since the change, but I like the feel so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You’re right. Luckily that’s the one cable I needed a little more slack in. Haven’t done a long ride yet since the change, but I like the feel so far.

Actually never mind, that didn’t help slack where I needed. I’ve done some rerouting and releasing tension to accommodate cables, so again you’re right, raising the forks did nothing to move upper cables.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I'm not necessarily recommending it but, have you considered 1" raising links on the rear?
I did that to my Wee and loved it, 10mm down on the front and 1" up on the rear.

The V2 has a flatter and wider seat & with the foot pegs in a different position it is harder to reach the ground.

In most situations it is fine but when I get deep off-road or need to push the bike backwards up hill I would need longer legs if I was to lift the rear.

I have toyed with the idea of lowering the front a little more than the 10mm I have now and lifting the rear some.

One day I will get some wood blocks and have a play to see if it would work for me.

Thx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts