StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to remind all possible attendees to mark your calendar next year for the weekend AFTER Mother's Day........Thurs May 18 - Sunday May 21.........for the 2017 Eastern Vstrom Rally to be held again at The Iron Horse Campground/Lodge in Stecoah, NC. (see their website here: Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge | 828-479-3864 Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway ). The Iron Horse will HOLD all rooms, cabins, and bunkhouse beds for us Vstrommers until the first week in January, then they open up the facilities to whoever wants to Reserve it. DO NOT WAIT.......call them now, make a reservation, cancel later if need be......or sell it to another Vstrom attendee left out in the cold next Spring. Charlene (owner) is kind enough to hold all the rooms for us year after year, please show your support of the rally and call them now (they close their season October 30 and may not answer the phone).

Mo, Larry, and Curley from the 2016 Rally have already started conversations about next year's event. New "planners" and "cat herders" will be involved with (hopefully) new ideas to make our great event even "greater". Two or three members have already volunteered to help.......if you are interested as well, contact the Eastern Rally Website at: Eastern:| V-Strom :|Rally - Home . Don't worry, we are not making drastic changes for the 4 days, we just want to get new ideas floating around so we can pick from a "menu" of possible activities. If you know you will be attending the 2017 Rally, notify the Rally website and get your name added to the Attendee Roster.

Remember: "What happens at the Rally, never stays at the Rally"....... :fineprint:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Remember: "What happens at the Rally, never stays at the Rally"..
I can verify that statement! Some rally attendees are planning already for 2017. My small group hopes to have a variety of new routes to ride again and we will share those with all that attend. There will be excitement and THERE WILL BE RAIN!! COUNT ON IT!!.
Some rides will be short enough that we may get 2 rides each day or we may be able to combine rides if we can find interesting connecting paths or roads. HIGH on my list for 2017 is another visit to Wheels through Time museum. A couple of us spent some time there in 2016 but we quickly noted the need for another visit to see Dale and his amazing collection.
Remember, we do not care what you ride as long as you ride 2 wheels with a motor, extra points if it is a STROM. Many that attended in 2016 indicated that it was their first time to the Eastern Rally, all said they would be back and could not believe they had waited so long to attend this popular event.
So don't be shy, come join us in 2017 and see what fun we have. We do not have meetings, officers, dues or any of the other organized club type items. We just arrive and have fun. We do have a very few folks that spend a significant amount of time bringing it all together and they sure do a great job of organizing a very disorganized group.
Plans change daily at the event as far as rides and destinations go but that is half the fun. Rides are planned usually the evening before and there are many choices and maps of routes available every day.
Come join the fun. Many of us have been attending for years and it is one rally that never gets old nor is it ever boring. THERE WILL BE EXCITEMENT!!
See you there.:mod2_scooter:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wouldn't miss it!
Wife informed.
Calendar marked.
Reservation request in.
Now, only 7 months to wait.

·
Administrator
17,546 Posts
I will be at this one come hell or high water. Hopefully, I can get a cabin since my ground sleeping days are done. Does anybody want to split a cabin?
I would be up for that if I can come, all depends on whether I take my big West trip or not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll be there! I've missed the last couple of years because the MotoAmerica races at VIR were on the same weekend. This year the races are the weekend before. I'll be camping close to the creek with my new (used) 2008 DL650. Thanks to Mark444, Foxfire and ALL the organizers of this fine event.

·
Registered
186 Posts
New Stromtrooper here. This rally is an hour and a half from my house. I can't imagine not coming - wife approval required of course.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,442 Posts
Cannot imagine a better "Rally" to be your first one! This is not a big commercial event with Vendors hawking at you everywhere you turn. It is about seeing friends, making friends, learning from others about bikes and gear. And some really good places to ride!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your final shirt designs.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rally..........Reservations

Remember to go ahead and make your Room, Cabin, Bunkhouse reservation NOW for the Rally. If tent camping, no reservation required. They also have Motorhome/Toyhauler spots for you rich kids.....:kiss:
The Ironhorse has reminded us that come the first week in January, they will open all the cabins/rooms up to the General Non-Vstrom Public to reserve. Not trying to sound "greedy", but we want this to be "our" Rally at the Ironhorse, with us in control of activities in the Lodge whenever WE want to have them, and not have to schedule around other group's possible nighttime events. Don't take that wrong: we welcome ANY rider, or group of riders, to join in with us for day rides, the SS Race, Nightime Talks, and general bench racing during the weekend.
The Holiday Season will be upon us quickly, then New Years, then Spring..........then May. Don't wait to get yerself a sleeping spot for the rally!!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
What Mark444, Prowler, and RealShelby said. I'm a relative newbie to the Rally, only attended four so far. My reservations are in for my fifth Rally. Each one has resulted in a great time; whether sun, rain, or snow. It's great riding new roads and old roads, meeting old friends and making new friends, and swapping lies around the fire in the evening.

Iron Horse is closed for the winter and is operating under winter hours (9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, Monday thru Friday) and can be reached at 828-479-3864 or through their website (Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge). Once the V-Strom Rally hold is released in early January they will fill up fast so get your reservation in now. You can always cancel later or pass it along to another V-Strommer who procrastinated. Check out their website for info on cabins, rooms, bunkhouse, camping, and the Lodge/Pavilion. The facilities are excellent whether staying in a cabin or camping. The food is great too. Be sure and mention you are with the V-Strom Rally.

Also check out the Rally website (Eastern V-Strom Rally) for Rally info and pictures from previous Rallies. More information will be added as the Rally gets closer.

And if you have an ideas for the Rally or if you are interested in volunteering to help (either before or during the Rally) drop Mo, Larry, or Curley a line.

Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I planned to go, had a great time last year. I even have a cabin reservation. I recently received a diagnosis of scleroderma and my riding days are most likely over. I will be notifying Iron Horse today that I no longer need the reservation.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I would be up for that if I can come, all depends on whether I take my big West trip or not.
Going West?

I might ride up for a night if I can talk someone into doing Hurricane Creek with me...........

JP...sorry to hear that man, but that is exactly why we all need to get as much saddle time as we can!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I am coming again. I would love to share a cabin but snore like a straight piped Harley in poor state of tune. I will bring extra ear plugs for you. I promise not to get lonely in the middle of the night. I have attended twice on my gray Tenere but have changed my user name. If need be I will grab a bunkhouse room.

Les, I would love to see the museum.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I've been trying to make this for years now but our vacations keep falling into this date slot. But it appears we may move our trip to the last of March. If we do I will be attending.

Reactions: happy hooker

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am coming again. I would love to share a cabin but snore like a straight piped Harley in poor state of tune. I will bring extra ear plugs for you. I promise not to get lonely in the middle of the night. I have attended twice on my gray Tenere but have changed my user name. If need be I will grab a bunkhouse room.

Les, I would love to see the museum.
It will be great to see you again no matter what you are riding, we probably won't even notice. Usually a museum is not my cup of tea but with all that this one offers, I just need to go back to see all I missed the first time.
Our small group is going to try a few new routes (really old routes we haven't ridden in several years). I am also going to try a few of the dirt roads near Tellico Plains and up on the Parkway. We rode a couple last year and it is great fun if it doesn't rain too much and make it a skating rink for our slightly overweight mounts.
I found out about that combination in 2015 when my 1000 landed on my leg during a close up bridge inspection. (note to self" Do not put leg between bridge flooring and motorcycle at any time.).
Honestly, if you haven't been able to attend one of these Eastern events, make it a priority this time. We offer the greatest roads in America, the best lodging I have found in 45 years of riding and over 1 million miles in the saddle. The folks that own the Iron Horse sure do take care of us Strommers when we are visiting.
Anyone with questions please feel free to contact Mark or myself and we will gladly attempt to get you what you need. See you all in May.
Les

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll not be able to attend as we already have reservations in Maggie Valley with the Goldwing "Darksiders" on the same dates. I will try to sneak over sometime that weekend if possible. Always a good time at the Ironhorse.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts