Strom Trooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Earlier posts described my 2017xt bike build, however the damaged bike was a low power LAMS bike, for learner riders in Australia, limited to approx 47hp, so the ECU map is different to a full power version.
Thought of a few ways to correct this, I could buy a full power ecu but $$ and was unsure if the LAMS ecu was linked to the security system, power commander, maybe.
Then found a company, "Woolich racing" in Australia had just released bin file keys for the Vstrom 650's, similar to the SV650.
Purchased the do it yourself kit, registered, loaded software, logged in, read the ecu map, saved the stock map just in case. Woolich has the stock restricted and unresticted maps, downloaded the unrestricted map, write to the ecu, key off, key on, done, that easy.
The bike is now full power and nice, the 2017 motor is a lot more eager to 10k rpm than the 2012.
So if you have a learner bike in Australia you can certainly load a full power map, or change the tune yourself as many times as you want, or get it dyno tuned, which I may do.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another option to further tune the ECU is to install a wideband O2 sensor, have to weld a bung in the exhaust, and monitor/log the live AFR, then make adjustments to parts of the fuel map. Woolich have wideband O2 kits that log AFR and create suggested map changes that you can load, but not yet for the Vstrom 650. So would have to look at live AFR via a separate wideband O2.
Might try disabling, or simulating really, the stock narrow band O2 sensor to remove the closed loop lean running at light throttle, see if this changes initial throttle response at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VERY significant difference, in restricted mode, at around 5K, the power would just flatten off, now it takes off strong up to 10K. The 2017 motor seems more eager (new exhaust cams and pistons?) to rev higher compared to the 2012. The 2012 was very good, but less eager above 8k. When looking at the STP (secondary throttle plate) and TPS (throttle position sensor) maps with the Woolich software you can see the reduction in fuel delivery and secondary throttle opening with the restricted map starting at around 5k. The un-restricted map has the secondary throttle at 100% when at max rpm and max throttle and the TPS map has a much higher fuel delivery to compensate. So you can't just remove the secondary throttle plates to remove the restriction, the engine will run too lean at higher rpm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
VERY significant difference, in restricted mode, at around 5K, the power would just flatten off, now it takes off strong up to 10K. The 2017 motor seems more eager (new exhaust cams and pistons?) to rev higher compared to the 2012. The 2012 was very good, but less eager above 8k. When looking at the STP (secondary throttle plate) and TPS (throttle position sensor) maps with the Woolich software you can see the reduction in fuel delivery and secondary throttle opening with the restricted map starting at around 5k. The un-restricted map has the secondary throttle at 100% when at max rpm and max throttle and the TPS map has a much higher fuel delivery to compensate. So you can't just remove the secondary throttle plates to remove the restriction, the engine will run too lean at higher rpm.
Hi ddphillips

I''m in the same situation as you and my new 2019 650XT order is on the way. I bought the LAMS bike due to the much higher resale. Just wondering how the Woolwich Racing flash tune has been going for rideability, smoothness etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts