StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, wasn't quite sure where to post this - my question is specifically in relation to any potential changes to the 2017+ 650's for a valve adjustment, so went with the 2017+ forum, but I obviously understand it's a maintenance question.

There are posts abound regarding valve adjustments, but I was hoping to ask something that I haven't seen asked, just to cover all of my bases. Specifically, are there any changes/differences/values (e.g. clearance limits, shims sizes [7.48?], etc.) that I should be aware of before doing a valve check/adjustment on my 2017 650XT?

I have a copy of my old manual for an older V-Strom - I will post a picture of the clearance limits. Just wanted to try to get confirmation if these are unchanged (and anything else important). I figure they are the same, as places such as Haynes sells the same manual for 2004-2019 models?

Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Should say on the frame sticker. The valve clearances that is. :unsure:

·
Registered
267 Posts
There are minor changes to the specs and the drawing you posted. Instead of calling the cam positions A and B they are called 1 and 2 in the 2017 manual. The clearance values are carried to a fourth digit.
0.10-0.20mm intake (0.0040-0.0078")
0.20-0.30mm exhaust (0.0079-0.0118")
If there are other changes I'm not aware of them, I only have the 2017 book. Best, DD

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are minor changes to the specs and the drawing you posted. Instead of calling the cam positions A and B they are called 1 and 2 in the 2017 manual. The clearance values are carried to a fourth digit.
0.10-0.20mm intake (0.0040-0.0078")
0.20-0.30mm exhaust (0.0079-0.0118")
If there are other changes I'm not aware of them, I only have the 2017 book. Best, DD
Thanks, that’s the little changes that I was hoping to uncover.

Was worried about little but important changes - perhaps the markings on the ends of camshafts might be a bit different, or the process for getting the camshafts back in the correct positions when reinstalling (e.g. in the older manual you have to count exactly 16 [If I remember correctly] chain links from one marking to the other - if that has changed slightly it could end up badly for me!).

Unless I discover anything new, it sounds like there isn’t much of a change and I’ll be doing the adjustment based on the older manual/process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts