StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Sorry to start another thread on this well-covered topic but I have a question that I haven't found an answer to. I'll be picking up my new 2017 wee in the next 10 days or so, and will do a centre stand first. Leaning at the moment to the Suz OEM stand. However, I'm also tempted by the Outback Motortek package of centre stand, crash bars and skid plate.

Question here: Is there any advice about which skid plate gives the best dirt and rock protection? I'm looking at a skid plate primairly to keep the dirt and rocks off the pipe and cylinder; not so much for off-road bashing. Any time not on pavement I'll be on reasonable dirt and gravel roads, with only tame off-road stuff. Fire or logging roads, and not at bike-crushing speeds.

The OEM plastic thingy would likely do the job for road dirt, but a bit more rock & gravel protection would be good. Plus a plastic decorative guard just seems as useless a fake air scoop on a car.

All advice on this stuff appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the Givi crash bars and a Ravetech skid plate but if I had it all to do over again I would go with the Outback setup. I ride the same type of Roads you are talking about and every time I do an oil change there are gouges, scratches and dings all over the skid plate. I imagine many people think that setup is overkill and you never need that much protection for Forest Service Roads. I say it's overkill until you need it, then it's too late. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@BigTK

Thanks for the reply; this is absolutely the kind of info and opinion I am hoping for. I totally get the point that, "I say it's overkill until you need it, then it's too late." Kind of like ocean sailing, where we tend to say that, 'the best is barely good enough'. I'm not getting the XT spoked wheels, but I am intending to go to the end of roads, and then keep going. At least until lunch.

Seriously, thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I'd also consider the Plastic Hyde Racing one. Cheap, light and tight fitting to the cases. I read quite a few testimonials from other forum members when I was in your position just a few months ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't offer any advice towards which is best for protection for off road use but I installed the SW Motech skid plate and crash bars on my bike. I also got their centre stand for xmas so that will go on in the spring. I got the skid plate for general protection, I was afraid some road debris could rip off the oil filter and leave me stranded. I bought my bike new last fall so I've only put 280km on it before winter arrived.

I will say that when you go to install the skid plate, if you have to remove some of the bolts on the left side of the bike for the kick stand, they are on there with the equivalent of red loctite. Get yourself a small propane torch from CND Tire and heat the bolts up. Make life much easier as it awkward to do by yourself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Nicad and @WYJGUY,
Thanks both for the comments and info; much appreciated. General protection is what I'm after, and so it seems that I have some good options.

I just checked on the OEM centre stand. It is expensive at $378 cdn. plus tax, compared to about $250 cdn. plus tax for the Outback. The SW is midrange at $321.00 cdn. Not sure why skid pans would be more than centre stands, but just a curious thing to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the outback motortek bars and bash plate on the 2017 650. The bars are much beefier than the Givi or the motech bars. The plate is pretty thick and mounts to the frame and bars rather than the engine casing like the Givi unit does. I’d consider the outback stuff competition grade protection. I have an el cheapo Ebay center stand and it does the job. I’ve been meaning to post a YouTube vid about the bars, just need to get off my butt and do it. I’ll post a link when it’s up

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
@Nicad and @WYJGUY,
Thanks both for the comments and info; much appreciated. General protection is what I'm after, and so it seems that I have some good options.

I just checked on the OEM centre stand. It is expensive at $378 cdn. plus tax, compared to about $250 cdn. plus tax for the Outback. The SW is midrange at $321.00 cdn. Not sure why skid pans would be more than centre stands, but just a curious thing to me.
I bought my Suzuki centre stand in the US rather than Canada (from Toronto) at Babbits online. Was cheaper than in Canada.
Was $223. I had it shipped to Buffalo with a bunch of other parts I couldn't get here for a reasonable price. Fortnine is generally good on pricing but I doubt they have a stand.
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/59090a7a87a8660fa09ff08b/optional-center-stand-set

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've installed T-Rex racing crash bars and skid plate. Price was great. Enjoying the Max Max look. Time will tell on their utility.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm a fan of my Happy Trails skid plate, guards, and foot peg combo. They have a center stand, but I opted not to.

And Foot Pegs. They vibrate a bit, but its a fantastic change for my feet on long rides. Just a few minutes on these and I'm ready to go back to the OEM pegs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've installed T-Rex racing crash bars and skid plate. Price was great. Enjoying the Max Max look. Time will tell on their utility.
Gorn,
Yep, that is a bit Mad Max. That skid plate is a bit ominous and more than up to the task. Is that a circular access plater for the oil filter or plug access? . Bars look excellent; very nice integration with the lines of the bike itself and it it seems they would give very good protection. I'll definitely look into them.

@snorkie,
Thanks also for your pics. One of the reasons I decided on a V-Strom is the wide range of accessories, and this small thread alone shows the truth of that. Good, supportive community as well!:smile2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey Umbrianissimo,

My Ravetech skid plate is being installed next Tuesday, so I can post some pictures of it on this thread once I get my bike back later next week. I just checked the Ravetech website, and the page with the skid plate for the V-Strom 650 says "This plate is compatible with OEM & after market centre stands and most aftermarket exhaust systems except Yoshimura." Here's the page if you want to check it out. https://ravetechmotorcycles.com/store/en/suzuki-dl650-v-strom/3-dlsp.html

Not able to post a photo of one of his skid plates right now, but you can see them on that link above. He also has one-piece ones. Stock is low on the bolted black ones, so I wonder if he will no longer be producing those, or what?

The quality and finish of the skid plate is really impressive. I can't speak for others since I have not seen other skid plates first hand. FYI, the Ravetech guy is quite responsive if you message him on Facebook with any questions you may have. I'm sure email would work as well. I also got his radiator guard. It looks sharp! My impression is this is clearly a man who takes pride in his work. He lives in Thailand, but I think he's a Brit.

Good luck deciding and farkling your new DL? (since you said you're not getting the spoked wheels) 650.

THBBFT!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Umbrianissimo,

My Ravetech skid plate is being installed next Tuesday, so I can post some pictures of it on this thread once I get my bike back later next week. I just checked the Ravetech website, and the page with the skid plate for the V-Strom 650 says "This plate is compatible with OEM & after market centre stands and most aftermarket exhaust systems except Yoshimura." Here's the page if you want to check it out. https://ravetechmotorcycles.com/store/en/suzuki-dl650-v-strom/3-dlsp.html

Good luck deciding and farkling your new DL? (since you said you're not getting the spoked wheels) 650.

THBBFT!
Ah, truer words were never spoken with so much spit!

Thanks for the Raventech link. That looks very good. Aluminum for lightness and solidly built. Yes, I am getting the regular wheels, so will be a modest off-roader. Presumably it would work with other crash bars, but I'll email him and ask; they/ he may also make bars as well.

Ack!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ah, truer words were never spoken with so much spit!

Thanks for the Raventech link. That looks very good. Aluminum for lightness and solidly built. Yes, I am getting the regular wheels, so will be a modest off-roader. Presumably it would work with other crash bars, but I'll email him and ask; they/ he may also make bars as well.

Ack!
With so much spit, or with so much class (not)!

No problem- here's a youtube review/install which gives you better views of the skid plate.

One last suggestion about where to possibly buy (big ticket item) farkles- check out Motostorm in Italy. I came across it on this forum, and placed an order from them around Thanksgiving when they had their annual Black Friday sale. Shipping from Italy to Pennsylvania was @ $35, but because Motostorm's prices are lower, you can still save a chunk of change depending on what you buy. I had zero issues with shipping or any problems. You just need to confirm your size in clothing/boots, because you will pay for shipping returns. But, if you do your homework, it's great. I paid $158.56 USD for new Forma Adventure Boots (the tall ones), which retail for $279 here in the US, and also got a sweet aluminum (Kappa, made by Givi) 48L top box to farkle my 650.

https://www.motostorm.it/en/

Good luck selecting the best farkles for your DL650.

THBBFT! (I think that may be my closing salutation given our mutual appreciation of Bloom County)

·
Registered
472 Posts
In addition to Motostorm there is also Carpimoto out of Genua for about the same price or a tad less than Motostorm. I have used them twice already, shipping to US was crazy fast each time, just a few days. If you are smarter than me order everything at once and only pay once for shipping. Givi crash bars and Givi Airflow, both great products. Also love my Ravetech (screwed) skid plate, good stuff. 2017 DL650A.

·
Registered
241 Posts
In addition to Motostorm there is also Carpimoto out of Genua for about the same price or a tad less than Motostorm. I have used them twice already, shipping to US was crazy fast each time, just a few days. If you are smarter than me order everything at once and only pay once for shipping. Givi crash bars and Givi Airflow, both great products. Also love my Ravetech (screwed) skid plate, good stuff. 2017 DL650A.
Hey Hogges,

Thanks for the head's up on Carpimoto. Ordering everything at once was what I did with my Motostorm order. After waiting a few months for the Black Friday sale, I jumped on it. Glad to know you love your bolted Ravetech skid plate- I also got the bolted one. How long has it been on your DL650? Any issues? thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys,
I will look at the Italian sites. I can actually have things shipped to my own address in Italy, as we have a townhouse in Umbria. A good excuse to go, just to pick up the shopping... you know. Or I can be boring and have things shipped here. The Canadian dollar is a bit depressed right now, and against the Euro it is quite depressing.
@Hogges. Some comments suggest the GIVI crash bars are on the lightweight side, compared to some of the other manufacturers. That may actually be good for me (assuming tip overs are minor, as many of us tend to assume).

What is your thought on this? Do the bars protect the bike adequately if it tips over, or falls over at low speed? I understand the Ravetech skid plate will attach to the GIVI bars, as demonstrated in the vid link posted by my handsome friend, @America First. (thanks for that link- very useful)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey Hogges,

Thanks for the head's up on Carpimoto. Ordering everything at once was what I did with my Motostorm order. After waiting a few months for the Black Friday sale, I jumped on it. Glad to know you love your bolted Ravetech skid plate- I also got the bolted one. How long has it been on your DL650? Any issues? thanks.
I’ve had the Ravetech skid plate only this year and for the past 3500 miles. I don’t do anything technical, just dirt roads, so other than the occasional gravel bouncing off it (with a ringing sound) it hasn’t had much of a job to do. Although I don’t doubt it would do well if I hit something solid with it with it’s heavy gauge aluminum and the stainless steel frame mount. I did my oil change with the plate in place which is very easy and convenient. The only other thing I can say is that it fit with the Givi bars as if they came out of the same factory, pretty impressive.
I would certainly order it again, maybe with the two tone color scheme this time, mine is just black.

·
Registered
472 Posts
@Umbrianissimo: I may hold the world record in low mileage tip-over with a Givi crash bar installed, with 0.4miles on the odometer! My homemade front wheel brace failed in a storm, while I had the kickstand off to shorten it, and the bike fell on its side onto the still frozen flat ground (dirt, not paved), unobserved and without any human trying to break or slow the fall. My brake lever snapped but the crash bars only had a couple of scratches which I fixed with a puff of matte-black spray paint. I measured the bars left and right after the fall, nothing has shifted or bent whatsoever, not a millimeter. Besides, they are heavy gauge steel, so leightweight is not a description I would have chosen, even before the fall. And not that it matters for functionality but in my opinion they also happen to look really good on the 2017+ model. They blend right in with the lines of the bike which I cannot say for some of the other products I have seen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts