StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody , is anyone using a stiffer spring on the stock shock and what are you using? TIA.

• Stock spring is rated at 8.2 kg/mm for the DL650, and DL1000

·
Registered
467 Posts
This past summer on my '18 1000 XT, I ran a Eibach 650 lb spring (650 lb/in = 11.6 Kg/mm). Eibach #0800.225.0650 You can buy the upper adapter ring from Race Tech, but I ended up with a machine shop buddy fabricating the lower ring. This spring was a good choice for riding two up. I weigh 185 and my wife about 155.

Note that removing the spring from the stock shock isn't very easy without some special tools. I welded up a fairly simple fixture to compress the spring. Building the fixture isn't very hard if you have a welder. Or, you could make with some steel threaded pipes & elbows, and a plate of aluminum. I'm sure there are other methods which clever people could figure out. With a fixture, it's a piece of cake to R&R the shock spring. If you are interested, I can post some pics of my compressor.

For just about all of this past summer, I rode with the 650 lb spring and the totally stock shock. As expected, the higher rate spring over powered the stock dampening at times, but it wasn't horrible when I had the rebound adjuster screw turned all the way in. My wife didn't notice it, but I could feel the overly active rebound.

Late in the fall, I disassembled the shock and stiffened the rebound shim stack to increase the rebound dampening. With the stiffer rebound valving, I was able to set the rebound adjust screw to a more normal setting. Since the rebound screw setting affects both lower speed rebound and lower compression dampening, my bike also was softer on those small little hits at slower speed after my shock modifications. I didn't get a lot of miles on the modified shock, so I'm not 100% on my assessment. A word of caution- opening up this shock isn't for everybody. It's a bit more complicated than a dirt bike or snowmobile shock.

Hope this isn't too much info, and hope it all helps.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I have run several different shock springs on my 2014 DL1000. I am 6'6" and easily 250 lbs geared up. Add in camping gear and/or a passenger and I'm likely pushing the max GVW.

My initial problem, aside from maxing out the shock's preload and still being well past the recommended sag, was that with any adult passenger we were bouncing off the bottom-out bumper with even the mildest bumps.

I had a stiffer spring installed with a corresponding shock valving adjustment. Although that first spring (1000 lbs/inch) was really good when fully loaded and on the freeway, it was completely unusable for riding solo.

I tried an 800 lb spring... Better but still too much.

I got my hands on a barely used 700 lb spring from another member here and it is about right for my weight. While it may yet prove to be just a little too much spring, it is pretty close and I have been able to run with an adult passenger and not noticeably bottom out on the freeway. I can also tolerate riding it solo. Actually better than tolerate, it is pretty good now although I would like to tune out a little more harshness on the heavier bumps. I even zip tied my helmet cam to the frame to record the spring's compression as I rode off curbs and over speed bumps. It appears to be using almost all of the shock's stroke, which is good for the extreme solo case with perhaps a little left over for the added weight of 2-up/cargo riding.

I have started working on adjusting the shock valving and it has gotten better with each adjustment. It is getting good enough to start exposing the forks' need for another valving adjustment.

You are standing on the precipice of what can become a very deep rabbit hole...

Although it has been a fun and educational journey and I will say that my motorcycle has never been better with regard to comfort, ergonomics, and all around utility. Dare I say it is very nearly perfect for me and my intended use.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I forgot to mention that all of my spring have also been Eibach. If I remember correctly, the first section of their part number is the free length (0800 = 8"), the middle section is the inner diameter (225 = 2.25"), and the last part is the weight rating or spring rate (0650 = 650 lbs for each inch of compression).

Several motorcycle suspension shops sell them and you can also order them from Summit Racing. As mentioned above, you may need an adapter ring that is also easily obtained. I don't have many details on that part because my first round of adjustment was done by a suspension shop, so mine already had any additional provisions installed for using the Eibach springs before I started paying close attention to it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Grimmer and I had a long discussion on my suspension thread.

For those looking for the right spring, not that I — at 180m pounds without gear — have had excellent result with a 625 pound/in spring and he had good result — at 250 pounds — at 700 pounds. I think Joe is 190 and has a 650 pound spring. My translation from this — and about four sessions with Canada's leading suspension guy, John Sharrard, is the follwoing

160 to 180 pound rider: 625 pounds/inch
180 to 200 pound rider: 650 pounds/inch
200 to 225 pound rider: 675 pounds/inch
225 to 250 pound rider: 700 pounds/inch
250+: uhm, weight watchers :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
To clarify, I'm using the 650 lb spring with two up riding, and I think it's a fair compromise between solo & two up. Not too punishing for me riding solo and a little bit undersprung for two up. If I were to go strictly two up, I'd probably go for a 700 lb spring. If always I always rode solo, I'd like to try a 600 lb or just stay with the OEM spring. I'm not sure if Eibach makes 625 or 675 lb springs.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi folks,

I am the proud new owner (well, this past September) of David's yellow 2002 Vee with the 625 lb/in spring. When I picked her up David wound up the preload a bit since I am about 205 lbs without gear. He suggested I would benefit from a 650 lb/in spring. And probably I would, BUT this is the best handling bike I've ever had. In this case, though, it is the package - forks, fork brace, spring and shock. I'd say the fancy 5-way shock is making the 625 lb/in spring shine. She is absolutely smooth and planted - always. Maybe I'll lose 10 lbs... :eek:

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
828 Posts

For those looking for the right spring, not that I — at 180m pounds without gear — have had excellent result with a 625 pound/in spring and he had good result — at 250 pounds — at 700 pounds. I think Joe is 190 and has a 650 pound spring. My translation from this — and about four sessions with Canada's leading suspension guy, John Sharrard, is the follwoing

A quick update on my experience with the 700 lb spring...

It was pretty good although it could jar my admittedly sensitive back to point of hurting on the really big hits. I figured it would be worth a shot to try a 650 lb spring. With the 700 lb spring I was using 10 clicks to get a rider sag of 43mm, with the 650 it went to 16 clicks. I fabricated a new spacer to reset my hydraulic to 2 clicks with the 650 lb spring.

The jarring pains are gone with the 650lb/in, which is a bonus but I wasn't sure how well it would hold up for 2-up riding.

I loaded up the bike to the max GVW. With all 25 clicks on the preload the rider sag came in at 62mm. I rode for about 80 miles. I don't recall it bottoming out once, even riding off curbs, hitting speed bumps, and drainage dips in the road, all at at least 20mph which is faster than I would normally traverse them. I may need to tighten up the rebound a little bit, but generally it did very well. I only recall a few minimal wallows over the longer lopey freeway dips. Maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 turn in on the shock adjuster would be adequate.

The 700 would probably be a better overall compromise if my back weren't so easily tweaked. But for now I'll be running the 650 for a while.

·
Registered
467 Posts
sound like your ideal number is 675 then grim. indeed as i have said it looks like these bikes run between 600 and 700 springs for the heaviest to lightest riders

what is your installed preload with 650 and spacer. ie length os spring on shock compared with free length

·
Registered
246 Posts

OK, Gonna take offense.... LOL. At 6'7" tall I am 275-285 pounds... I think instead of Weight Watchers, I just need to bench press a few 180 pound twig boys through the celling !!! LOL.. Seriously, thanks for all the tips... I ride 2 up and I am sure I push the limits of load.... but aside from cutting off a leg... this is what I be. I am thinking the full rebuild might be a deal for $400 from Adventure Power Sports.

Ride safe... twig boy! :p

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'd like to see your spring compressor.
Go to post #12 of this thread.

I should paint it up so it would look better. I made it as a prototype and it works very good. I can give you better details of it if you want.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Got it! Thanks.
Good design and I bet it is plenty strong enough.
Sure, a lick of paint and some high-brow stickers never hurts. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts