Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of us are now planning a later June ride up to the Northwest Territories of Canada and Alaska. This will not be an endurance contest, but a more comfortable adventure, using motels and restaurants most of the time, or all the time if possible. One of us is coming from the East Coast and I am from the Seattle area. We have 'Stroms but you don't have to. If interested, respond here or to [email protected] . What do you think?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Seems like I saw another post on here about trying to get a group to go in June next year?

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
WOW, now I have three choices!!

I am considering riding with Mastery as he is planning on doing some camping. I don't have an "incredible" amount of disposable cash. I also am considering riding my Can Am Spyder RT with a group of spyder riders. They, however are planning on hoteling it I think as well as maybe taking the ferry which is very expensive! They are also going to have a truck/trailer sweep the group with gas, gear and spare parts. Parts are not readily available for the spyder like they are for the storm.

Decisions - decisions!!

Keep my contact info handy and include me on your list of possible travelers
Larry
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
We rode up there in 2013,we did about 6,000 miles in 3 weeks with lots of sightseeing.We saved up for several years and did hotel/motels all the way.We spent around $5,000 for 2 people on 2 bikes,gas in the Yukon was around $9 a gallon and a burger and fries was $20 !!.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2015 Ride to Alaska

Seems like I saw another post on here about trying to get a group to go in June next year?
Yes, there is another group going as described in your link. We considered that group and may still link up. We just prefer to have warm and dry accommodations at night. We do intend on covering some miles each day. Just not riding dawn to dark. The sun is up for not quite 24 hours that time of year. Note that this trip is in the very early planning stages and that everyone gets input about what we do and when. We're thinking also of taking a few days in Fairbanks to allow wives or husbands or friends to visit and see some sights. And riders don't have to stay with the group for the whole trip. Do what feels good to you. Bobby

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Yes, there is another group going as described in your link. We considered that group and may still link up. We just prefer to have warm and dry accommodations at night. We do intend on covering some miles each day. Just not riding dawn to dark. The sun is up for not quite 24 hours that time of year. Note that this trip is in the very early planning stages and that everyone gets input about what we do and when. We're thinking also of taking a few days in Fairbanks to allow wives or husbands or friends to visit and see some sights. And riders don't have to stay with the group for the whole trip. Do what feels good to you. Bobby

We stayed a few days in Fairbanks,and went to the UA museum....AWSOME!!.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A trip like this is on my list but it won't be next year. Maybe 2016.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
We lucked out and rode up there during a DRY heat wave.3 weeks on the road and only 2 days of rain.First day from Seattle and north of the Brooks Range towards Deadhorse.80 degrees at the Artic Circle !!,and mid 80's in Fairbanks.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Lonestrom. You are the lucky rider. We want weather like that, so if you come along, we appear to have a better chance of it. We had sunbathing weather the first time we went with my brother up the inside passage to Ketchican and North, and then again the last time. Maybe I'm weather-lucky too. time will tell. Bob

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That could work, 2mstone. We are meeting up in Edmonton, AB, Canada. No final date set. Depending on the date, we could meet somewhere in Washington, near the Canadian border. Check this thread from time to time. We'll have a date set in a few months.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You are my kind of rider. It took me 20 years to find a rider with your mind set.
The best part of this is a neighbor came over about four years ago and ask if he bought a bike could he go on ride with me? I told him sure but it had been asked of me before and not many ever came through.
He bought a strom and in the last four years we have put 50g on the motor cycles. We did this in weather down to 21*, dirt roads, paved roads, winter and summer. (Utah winters)
The best way to run a trip like this is to run meet up points along the way, Planning them as you go. We did this last year 6 state ride that was more than a week long. There were 12 riders on the trip with 3000 miles covered. On the trip the group had to replace tires and a battery. There was a split up every morning and a meet up every one or two nights. Tom and I camped all nights but one. There were two to 5 riders in each group and most of the nights the groups would change size. This work out that everyone could ride at their own pace. The people that camped were more likely to get going earlier and ride longer distances. It got so that camp and breakfast could be completed in 20 minutes.
We found that a cheap $11 air mattress was the best thing to use for sleeping on the ground. We had a lot of motorcyclist stop and ask us about them and they work great. Just like sleeping at home .
The hotel people were the slower and more direct riders. This loose group worked great but you need to set up this before the ride. So people know how thing will work on the trip.
I am working on a trip just like this and if I wouldn’t of lost my job last month I would be a serious contender for this ride and Tom would be right there with me.
Best of luck on your ride, I’ll be watching it from home. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
OK Lonestrom. You are the lucky rider. We want weather like that, so if you come along, we appear to have a better chance of it. We had sunbathing weather the first time we went with my brother up the inside passage to Ketchican and North, and then again the last time. Maybe I'm weather-lucky too. time will tell. Bob

I hope you do also !!.
As we were riding the Dalton north of the Brooks Range in 38 degree rain that was blowing sideways and the " road" was a ice skating rink I thought what a PITA it would have been to do 700-800 miles like that !!.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish you could come along too, Trooper. You have some good ideas on "organization", or lack thereof:).

And LoneStrom, stories like yours have me convinced that I'll put on some more dirt-friendly tires for this trip and save my good street tires for the lower 48. 38* and blowing sounds like TV and popcorn to me.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I wish you could come along too, Trooper. You have some good ideas on "organization", or lack thereof:).

And LoneStrom, stories like yours have me convinced that I'll put on some more dirt-friendly tires for this trip and save my good street tires for the lower 48. 38* and blowing sounds like TV and popcorn to me.

When dry the Dalton is better then most of the Alaskan Hwy,but when wet you best have a offroad based tire !!.My wife did it on her 94 GS500 with a front TKC and rear K60 no problems and those tires are still on her bike after over 10,000 miles.I ran the same combo and got 12,000 out of the TKC and 15,000 out of the K60.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
That could work, 2mstone. We are meeting up in Edmonton, AB, Canada. No final date set. Depending on the date, we could meet somewhere in Washington, near the Canadian border. Check this thread from time to time. We'll have a date set in a few months.
Sounds good. I have a very loose itinerary that averages a little over 300 miles per day. This might be my only trip to Deadhorse and I don't want to come home wishing I had seen (smelled..?) more roses.

I'll be camping most if not all the way, but it would still be nice to ride together for a while.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2mstone, we may have met at the Cedar City UT VStrom gathering a few years ago. And yes, to would be good to ride together for a while. Keep in touch. Bobby

1 - 20 of 26 Posts