StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Read Only
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2015 Wee DL650X with spoke wheels, after market Madstad screen & bracket, a Givi engine guard & E55 top box on the back. The bike is fitted with an aluminium skid plate, fork brace and Strom hand guards. I list all these because they may be relevant to solving my issue. This is my 2nd wee, I always ride alone and occasionally with loaded saddlebags. Currently the bike has about 4500 miles, no damage and runs 98% on paved commutes and travels. I first noticed the vibration at 600 miles but it was the end of the season forgot about till experienced it again in spring. Complained to the dealer at 2000 miles and started a drawn out investigation.

The bike runs great EXCEPT I get this tank slapping vibration every time the bike passes through 30 to 40 mph range. It is light/moderate vibration with your hands on the bars and if you take your hands off - the bars slaps back & forth like crazy. I noticed that with loaded saddle bags the oscillation gets bigger if allowed. It’s not related to rpm as it happens in 3rd, 4th or 5th.. It is more subtle during acceleration as you pass through the speed range quickly but it is definitely noticeable. I set the hand throttle on a country road and allowed the bike cruise and its definitely present as it cruises within the sped range. The closest thing I can compare the experience to is: pushing a shopping cart to fast in the mall as the front wheels start to vibrate left/right.

Spoke to Suzuki Canada and they claim to have no data indicating a vibration issue in the 2015 model and referred me to the dealer. The dealer is offering a list of possibilities, which I pay for and at times can’t relate to. They inspected both rims, checked the spokes and adjusted the balance of both tires - no change.

The dealer claims uneven wear on the front tire, however, they are unable to quantify it with a tire gauge. Not clear why wear would only manifest it self at a specific speed and be totally normal the rest of the speed range.

The bike is under warranty but at the rate the dealer is spending the money I may pay for a new front end before they find the $20 bearing or bushing causing the issue. The Suzuki dealer in Toronto is ready to spend time but is short of ideas as they service numerous brands and Suzuki HQ is less interested and "relay on the dealer". I am looking for ideas on where to point the dealer. I am sure my bike is not unique so if you have experienced this pls let me know, how did you isolate the issue and were you able to solved it.

thx
from TO

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
My 15 XT does the same thing....go figure. Both wheels are true, steering head bearings are not loose, I am on my 3rd front tire and is better with this one. Problem is "much worse" as you stated, when the bike is loaded up with panniers. I am really starting to think it is a front suspension issue, although I cannot prove that yet.

I have owned several bikes and have ridden many, and this has me frustrated. My buds think I am nuts as they don't really feel it, but I know it is there and I know my bike. I am half tempted to upgrade my front springs and install intiminator valves.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If as you say it is worse with loaded panniers. I would try dropping the front some and see if it changes any. Thinking with more weight in the rear dropping the front might change it? Cheap/easy try?

·
Registered
702 Posts
My 15 XT does the same thing....go figure. Both wheels are true, steering head bearings are not loose, I am on my 3rd front tire and is better with this one. Problem is "much worse" as you stated, when the bike is loaded up with panniers. I am really starting to think it is a front suspension issue, although I cannot prove that yet.

I have owned several bikes and have ridden many, and this has me frustrated. My buds think I am nuts as they don't really feel it, but I know it is there and I know my bike. I am half tempted to upgrade my front springs and install intiminator valves.
I think your ride height ratio is too far off when loaded. If you're happy with how it's handling with no extra gear start by measuring the sag front & rear. Then try to reproduce the same ratio front to rear when loaded. Most likely you'll have to change the springs. Do what's needed to get it back to normal. Getting the correct spring weights is a bit of an educated guess. Ideally you'll wind up with front & rear preload at the lower setting. This gives you room to get that ratio back when loaded.

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
I think your ride height ratio is too far off when loaded. If you're happy with how it's handling with no extra gear start by measuring the sag front & rear. Then try to reproduce the same ratio front to rear when loaded. Most likely you'll have to change the springs. Do what's needed to get it back to normal. Getting the correct spring weights is a bit of an educated guess. Ideally you'll wind up with front & rear preload at the lower setting. This gives you room to get that ratio back when loaded.
Sag has been done, it is right for me and gear. Front forks have also been raised a bit in the triple tree, I also have an adventuretech fork brace installed and I have also taken it off to see if made a difference. I have checked and reset my front forks for any offset, and I have no abnormal wear on my tires. This is my 3rd Strom and I have never had an issue with the previous 2, add in any other bike I have ever owned. This has to be a front suspension issue of some kind, I am simply convinced.

·
Registered
702 Posts
You mentioned previously about upgrading your fork springs. That's what got me thinking ride height ratio.
That's all I got. Let us know if you solve it.

·
Read Only
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I owned the bike since new and started noticing the speed wobble as i became more familiar with it around 1500 miles . The bike came out of the box, new tires, springs etc. and for this reason i eliminated the tire wear and springs out of the cause tree. Several experienced light & heavy riders have confirmed; my bike has a detectable speed wobble with just one person on the bike and its noticeably worse with loaded side bags. I owned a 2011 DL650 before this one, it was configured with the same front end and handlebar farkles and it was solid. There are many wee's with beaks and mag wheels and no one has noted any issues. It seems only X model owners have detected this wobble which indicates it could be related to the spoke wheels or the weight difference between mags and spokes. Are there any other differences between the 2015 X and A model wee front ends?

thx
from
TO

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you tried having your wheels re-balanced? Both of them?

Sometimes front end suspension quirks can be rear end related.
If your rear is too soft you "might" feel it in the front.

Keep pushing Suzuki to deal with it. As a Vstrom and BMW owner, I know what it feels like to have an obvious problem ignored by a manufacturer.
Good luck, and safe riding.
#tankslapperssuck

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
Can't speak for the OP but both my wheels have been balanced, I still believe this to be a front suspension issue.

·
Read Only
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, i had both wheels re-balanced also. The front weight was out 10g and this was corrected. The dealer inspected the spokes and were tight, they inspected the rims and they were found to "true" and no damage. Test ride after showed no change, NIL.

Could uneven spring tension or lack of oil on one side produce this type of wobble at specific speed. Is there such a thing as wheel alignment on bikes and how would it manifest it self while riding?

Could this wobble be related spoked wheels? Thx for the ideas, hope to hear from other 650 X bikers if others have experience this speed wobble.

Thx
From
TO

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
I too am starting to think a fluid level issue, or perhaps even the springs themselves.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have the same bike, but only have 1200 miles on it so far. For reference, tvozner and BigB, what tires do you have? That almost sounds like a tire issue.

@BigB, For reference, how many miles did you have on your bike when it started? I'll be paying attention to my bike to see if I get the same thing.

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
I have the same bike, but only have 1200 miles on it so far. For reference, tvozner and BigB, what tires do you have? That almost sounds like a tire issue.

@BigB, For reference, how many miles did you have on your bike when it started? I'll be paying attention to my bike to see if I get the same thing.
I had the original TW, then installed a barely used Tourance, and now back to a TW. I bought the bike brand spanking new, I have always felt what seems very much like a front end "hop" and now I have the bar shakes. Both issues without the bags on is hardly there, yet another things which baffles me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Lift the front up and check three things: loose wheel bearings, loose stem bearings, and if the rim is true. Are the spokes weaved properly? Try riding without the windshield, then have a friend try it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,777 Posts
Lift the front up and check three things: loose wheel bearings, loose stem bearings, and if the rim is true. Are the spokes weaved properly? Try riding without the windshield, then have a friend try it.

ALL you have mentioned except for taking off windshield has been done......all of it. :frown2:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Recommendation was for the op. I know a shop the specializes in spoked rims. Might be worth finding someone in your area just to get a second opinion. Masking the issue with damper may help you keep your sanity.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I had a deceleration wobble on my Wee with the original TW's, after going right through the mechanicals I found uping the front tyre pressure to 39psi fixed it, could be worth a try ?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Damn BB and TV....I had not heard of this issue until now. No bags on my XT yet...soon to change, and I'll let y'all know.

·
Read Only
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the original TW tires and am currently at 4800 miles.

I finally had Suzuki Customer service drop by the dealer and test ride the bike. Apparently they rode the bike then came back to remove the saddle bags, lowered the Mad Stad screen and did it again. I rode the bike in the same configuration later and found the wobble to be light. Suzuki called and explained that the bike is "performing as expected" and the wobble is attributed to the worn front tire. There is no warranty on the tires and since my bike has been "significantly" modified they are not providing any support. I requested a copy of the report but none is available (makes me think Suzuki may now be a Russian company) and here are the "significant modification" they listed: heated grips, USB port, cigarette lighter outlet, voltmeter, givi side rack and rear carrier, engine guard, custom seat, madstad bracket and screen. I could not believe my ears, 90% of V-strom's on the road are touring equipped as is mine. Suzuki sidestep their responsibility because i selected and installed non OEM accessories simply abandoned a 2nd time Suzuki V-strom owner. The dealer tried to help and offered to take in my bike with 1 year warranty remaining, as a trade in toward a 16 wee with 5 YEARS warranty. I laughed, stick the next guy with the issue and give me MORE Suzuki warranty you can not collect on.

Actually the most disappointing part with Suzuki and their Customer service was the fact that they blamed the tires and totally failed to provide direction on resolving the issue. Suzuki dismissed the dealer work orders complaining about the wobble since 2k miles and left me without any benefit of history and past experience to direct the dealer in resolving the issue.

·
Read Only
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My previous wee was 2011 and i never experienced the Famous V-strom Front End Wobble, therefore i did not pay much attention to write ups detailing the Front End Wobble or how to solve it. Since i traded UP, the 2016 Dl650X front end wobbles and i have been searching for information and a solution. I recall reading a message by graywolfe indicating that a properly adjusted front end should not wobble and it can be corrected. It seems Suzuki is hiding on this, perhaps they are afraid of a recall. It's not rare, there is PLENTY of history going back years detailing the symptoms but i have not come across a way to categorize it, quantify or solve the famous front end wobble issue. . Hope to hear from some troopers who experienced it and solved it.

thx
from
TO

1 - 20 of 28 Posts