StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

started to get the ugly wobble on deceleration. Can't take my hands off the bars for longer than a couple of seconds without a tank slapper event.

Reading over several threads it appears that I need to replace the stock bearings with tapered bearings, packed with grease.

Are there any howtos for this? Any suggestions on parts, tools, tips or links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
https://blacklabadventures.com/

Might be what you are looking for here.
You may try just adjusting the steering head first.
My 04 Wee is a bit notchy in the middle of the swing but it has nearly 100K miles on it.
Tire choice can make a difference too. There has been some discussion about that going back some years.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I need a set of 32006 tapered roller bearings. A quick search on ebay provides a lot of options.

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=32006+tapered+roller+bearings&_sacat=0

A quick google search reports SKF and NSK as reputable brands. Is there any specific brand/model in the ebay list that you would choose?

Next I'll need a tool for the head. Looks like a lot of options for that also:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=32006+tapered+roller+bearings&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=dl650+head+nut+tool&_sacat=0

Any recommendations on which tool to buy?

Lastly, I'll need a tool to install/compress the bearing into place. I'm not sure what to search for, or if a tool even exists for this. Looking over some threads people have used PVC piping, with modifications, for this job.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
https://blacklabadventures.com/

Might be what you are looking for here.
You may try just adjusting the steering head first.
My 04 Wee is a bit notchy in the middle of the swing but it has nearly 100K miles on it.
Tire choice can make a difference too. There has been some discussion about that going back some years.
Thank you! I read through it. Good write up. I assume it's the same for the 2015 wee?

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
It should be similar. I used this info when doing my 04 Wee and realized the fork was almost exactly like the fork on my '76 BMW 750/6. The science hasn't changed much except for the upside down design but even then the overall function is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
If the bearings don't feel notchy, they don't need replacing. Check to make sure the bearings are not too loose either. Try adjusting first and see if that fixes it. If not, replace your front tire and make sure it's balanced. Do one thing at a time. The basic rule of troubleshooting. I pulled the following from another forum and it describes a good procedure for adjusting your steering head. The poster owns a motorcycle repair shop.
STEERING HEAD BEARINGS 101
If your steering head bearings are too tight the bike will weave and
not seek it own center... if you're steering head bearings are loose
you'll notice a pronounce clunk during braking...

I don't use a torque wrench because it lacks feel rather I raise the
front wheel off the ground and tighten the steering head bearings
until the bars lock then I back off the nut until the bars free wheel
with a slight drag... with this method you'll find that sweat spot and
avoid over tightening and under tightening even if you upgrade to
taper roller bearings...

·
Registered
241 Posts
While I agree that the bearings should at least be checked & adjusted properly, from what you describe It sounds more like a front tire issue.
I have ran into this with a couple of brands. Replacement fixed it right up. :mod2_rolleyes:

·
Registered
254 Posts
The stock bearings are a known issue. Upgrading to rollers is a good move. I'll do it when I reach 40k miles. Here are my notes if it helps:

head upgrade
SKF Tapered roller bearing 32006 - 2 needed
Seal #: 51644-12C00 - 2 needed

DL1000 or DL650 Steering Stem Socket Wrench DHS-4131-1 $35.00

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,501 Posts
That big wrench is neat and may allow for more precise adjustment but I bet a pair of water pump pliers would do the same thing.
The bearings are just like a bicycle. As a kid i didn't have any fancy tools and have done adjustments on motorcycle using a drift punch and a hammer on the edge of the recesses of the nut.
I do admire the brave mechanics who made their own version of the commercial ones. might be easy with a mill but a workout with a file set.
But the $35 for the tool vs the couple hundred $ a shop would charge is minimal investment.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you're installing tapered roller bearings, you will need a bearing shim. Suzuki part number 09181-30184-000.
The shim goes between the lower steering head grease seal and the lower steering head bearing. The shim raises the bearing slightly to prevent the grease seal from grabbing the outer edge of the bearing and causing drag. If this shim is not installed, the steering will be stiff as if the bearings are too tight and cause the bike to wander at slow speed.

Adjusting the OEM bearings will likely stop the low speed wobble.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Howdy all,

started to get the ugly wobble on deceleration. Can't take my hands off the bars for longer than a couple of seconds without a tank slapper event.

Reading over several threads it appears that I need to replace the stock bearings with tapered bearings, packed with grease.

Are there any howtos for this? Any suggestions on parts, tools, tips or links would be appreciated.

As others have said try adjusting the bearings first. With the wheel off the ground the bars should slowly flop over given a good judge.

Another thing though how's the weight distribution front to rear? Got loaded bags, big top box or are you excuse the expression a big boy? Try cranking the shock preload and see if that helps. Raising the forks in the triple clamps a bit will get more weight on the front also.

Reactions: Webfors

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you're installing tapered roller bearings, you will need a bearing shim. Suzuki part number 09181-30184-000.

The shim goes between the lower steering head grease seal and the lower steering head bearing. The shim raises the bearing slightly to prevent the grease seal from grabbing the outer edge of the bearing and causing drag. If this shim is not installed, the steering will be stiff as if the bearings are too tight and cause the bike to wander at slow speed.

Thank you for the tip, first time I've seen that noted. Would you recommend putting another shim between the upper bearing and upper dust seal as well?

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts
If the bearings don't feel notchy, they don't need replacing. Check to make sure the bearings are not too loose either. Try adjusting first and see if that fixes it. If not, replace your front tire and make sure it's balanced. Do one thing at a time. The basic rule of troubleshooting. I pulled the following from another forum and it describes a good procedure for adjusting your steering head. The poster owns a motorcycle repair shop.
STEERING HEAD BEARINGS 101
If your steering head bearings are too tight the bike will weave and
not seek it own center... if you're steering head bearings are loose
you'll notice a pronounce clunk during braking...

I don't use a torque wrench because it lacks feel rather I raise the
front wheel off the ground and tighten the steering head bearings
until the bars lock then I back off the nut until the bars free wheel
with a slight drag... with this method you'll find that sweat spot and
avoid over tightening and under tightening even if you upgrade to
taper roller bearings...
WRONG.....on your comment in BOLD, as my issue did not go away until I replaced my bearings with tapered. I followed/did every single check and adjustment there is to do before ultimately replacing the bearings, and until I did such the issue was still there. I initially found my OEM bearings needed to be re-torqued and the locking ring was finger loose, I did the procedure and the wobble was much better "but still there with a loose feeling front end". I did not have a tire issue, or an alignment issue, or a balance issue, no notchy/rough/clunky or over or under torqued bearings...... but the ISSUE was in fact the bearings.

I can see no reason not to upgrade to tapered bearings on any motorcycle I were to own now, as they are simply better and honestly overkill for the application.......just DO IT. :wink2:

·
Administrator
17,367 Posts

I don't recall the shim you are referring to, and I also don't have the issue you are referring to for not having the shim in question. I used a kit from All Balls, it worked like a charm and all I needed to do was pack the bearings with some Motul waterproof bearing grease. I did the proper adjustment and my issue was still there, this is very much a known issue with these bikes which many simply live with or blame the tires. Sure sometimes a tire is at fault, but the OEM stem bearings are very much worth upgrading to tapered IMHO regardless of issues or not.

Here is the kit I ordered and installed from Amazon...... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BOZDT02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While I agree that the bearings should at least be checked & adjusted properly, from what you describe It sounds more like a front tire issue.
I have ran into this with a couple of brands. Replacement fixed it right up. :mod2_rolleyes:
Which brands?

I did recently put a Shinko 804 on the front.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The stock bearings are a known issue. Upgrading to rollers is a good move. I'll do it when I reach 40k miles. Here are my notes if it helps:

head upgrade
SKF Tapered roller bearing 32006 - 2 needed
Seal #: 51644-12C00 - 2 needed

DL1000 or DL650 Steering Stem Socket Wrench DHS-4131-1 $35.00

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Just 1 shim?

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't recall the shim you are referring to, and I also don't have the issue you are referring to for not having the shim in question. I used a kit from All Balls, it worked like a charm and all I needed to do was pack the bearings with some Motul waterproof bearing grease. I did the proper adjustment and my issue was still there, this is very much a known issue with these bikes which many simply live with or blame the tires. Sure sometimes a tire is at fault, but the OEM stem bearings are very much worth upgrading to tapered IMHO regardless of issues or not.

Here is the kit I ordered and installed from Amazon...... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BOZDT02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks Big B!

Is it possible your bearing kit and seals includes the spacing mentioned to avoid needing the shim?

So this kit, plus the following:

Steering Stem Socket Wrench DHS-4131-1

How do you compress the bearings into place? Is there a specific tool for that?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts