StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized my front oil seals are leaking and dust caps dry rotted. I'm getting the motion pro seal driver but need to know the fork tube size which I could not find in a search here.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Best to use some 50mm PVC pipe, split the end, lap it over and use a hose clamp the squeeze it down to size.

Have the PVC pipe longer than the fork tube so you can get a good straight hit on it.

Put a strip of green kitchen scourer between the dust seal and the oil seal to keep the crud out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Best to use some 50mm PVC pipe, split the end, lap it over and use a hose clamp the squeeze it down to size.

Have the PVC pipe longer than the fork tube so you can get a good straight hit on it.

Put a strip of green kitchen scourer between the dust seal and the oil seal to keep the crud out.
Good advice!
Does it have to be "green" kitchen scourer?0:)
Used felt on dirt bike seals...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Before I started to use the scourer I always used sponge rubber and the scourer does a much better job.

You could try anything you like even a blue scourer !!!!! (I only quote green because I think most will understand what I mean)

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can also use a thick layer of electrical tape wrapped around the fork to drive the seal in. I find that easier than the pvc pipe.
Never heard of the scourer trick so may have to try it, although Greywolf always said fork gaiters were the best for keeping the crud out.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
You would have only read about the scourer on this site as it is my own invention.

It works great on conventional forks with a fork brace fitted (hard to properly fit gaiters) as well as USD forks.

Gaiters work great I have them on some of my bikes but there must be a constant transfer of air in and out as the gaiter compresses and decompresses, so if you ride in dusty conditions it is still very important to keep under the gaiter clean, normal washing of a bike will not remove that dust, so please don't think they are set and forget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts