Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a rally this past weekend and experienced something never before happening. Sure i was loded with camping stuff, same as I always carry. As I hit some bumps, I heard this scrape several times on the highways. When i stopped for gas I looked around and noticed some scraping on the bottom engine pan. It was suggestede to tighten up preload, which I never ever had to do before. Tightened it up at least 10 turns but it still continued. No leaks around the spring or anywhere. Now my bottom engine pan is realy scraped up but no sense getting new one till I fix this problem. Anyone had that problem. Remember, It is a 2015 and I am the original owner and it never did it till this weekend and yes in 2015 I did lower it 1" and even then with the load it never scraped and only on the right side are the scrapes. Thanks to all who reply!

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
I had a clapped out shock. That can lend itself to losing height. Then you'd scrape. Sasquatch rebuilt the shock and it's much better.
Depending on the roads you ride and your comfort level for leaning right may have something to do with it.
I can think of one place that I've scraped the bash plate a couple times. My bad for trying to keep up with others.

·
Super Moderator
16,730 Posts
The stock suspension is way under sprung, and you always want to set your sag appropriately if possible. These bikes are also not really intended/designed to be lowered, it does decrease your clearance. That being said......I highly recommend proper weight springs in the front and an upgraded spring and rebuild on your rear shock, you simply wouldn’t believe the difference till you do it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I initially said, this was the first of doing it since 2015. and I carry the same gear every trip and I go on about 8 a year. Never had trouble wit hit lowered. not with the shock .How do I tell if the shock is kupoof? No leakage at all. In 3 weeks tripping to Alabama with the same gear as always but I do want to fix this before hand! How about some more help out there.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the pan hasn't come loose and is dragging? It seems like it shouldn't touch the ground even with worn out shocks, since the bike starts out with more ground clearance than suspension travel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A shock does not have to leak oil out to be worn out. Internal wear ring on piston and the like can be shot and leak by, reducing the shocks effectiveness. Excessive heat from offroad abuse or rough roads cause it to fade or kill internal parts as well. The stock unit is not anything special.

There is also the possibility it lost the nitrogen charge, (assuming it has a charge stock?) Without leaking oil. It can happen.

Plus 1 to stiffer springs. I had Sasquatch rebuild/revalve my 2015 shock at about 10k miles. Wasnt anything wrong with it other then I wanted better bottoming resistance off road. Replaced springs front and rear with heavier units, Race Tech revalve in the forks. Its an entirely different ride.

If nothing seems wrong and you havn't gained weight, I be suspicious about the shock.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Did you check to see if it's actually maxed out?

Lines on the top of the shock will tell you. It's in the owners manual too.

I've had mine maxed out for years. I think the suspension if for a 160 lb Japanese rider.

·
Vendor
4,554 Posts
If everything else is the same (e.g., road conditions, weight on bike, skid pan bolts tight, tires) I would assume you have lost or seriously degraded compression dampening or turned you rebound dampening way too high.

How many miles on the shock?

But here is a completely different thought, but obviously limited by not having been there to hear it, etc.

Hearing scraping and then seeing where the skid pan had been scraped does not 100% mean the skidpan scraped on the highway. The skidpan could have been scraped previously and the scrape heard could have come from something else. Unless you knew it was not scraped previously and was after hearing the noise.

If you are sure it was the skidpan scraping then you lost compression dampening or seriously miss adjusted rebound dampening.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have an '09 that's been modified with a DL1K rear shock and RT 0.95 springs and gold valves for the forks--should result in slightly higher than stock attitude. When I'm running the twisties and leaned over hard, I've experienced scraping my bash plate when the bike hits a bump and the suspension compresses. I don't have a center stand, but presume you could prolly scrape the foot lever on the left side as well. However, I've never experienced such a severe bottoming out sufficient to scrape the engine pan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts