StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year my chain broke on a long trip at about 115KPH going uphll. So a pretty good load. It piled up around the rear sprocket and mangled the chain guard in the process. I was able to get it repaired, but that is a story in itself (Northern British Columbia Canada on a holiday weekend 20 miles from town with limited cell service!!)

This year I noticed an oil leak starting at what I thought was the countershaft oil seal. It has gotten progressivley worse I ordered the clutch pushrod seal, countershaft seal and O ring and set out to replace them today. Upon disassembly i found that only the pushrod seal was leaking. The pushrod had some corrosion on it so I chucked it in my drill to spin it and polish it with some steel wool. Low and behold it had a decent bend in it, right at the seal surface.No problem I will just set it up on a couple of V blocks and tap it straight. I had it almost perfect and gave it one last light tap and it snapped!! I was pretty surprised at how brittle it was. A new one will be here in a couple of days.
Live and learn!!

Ride Safe

Randy

·
Registered
14,206 Posts
!/4 past snap off, eh? Been there done, that. Had a V block explode when trying to straighten a fork tube. Exciting things happen under pressure!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Inquiring minds must know. How old was the chain and what on it broke. And where did you find a new chain. Northern BC can be sparse when it comes to parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chain was OEM and 25K kilometers. I think it may have been a bit snug and i was riding 2 up. Not sure just a wild guess. I called a couple of friends who called a couple of friends and next thing I have a fellow from PG (Price George) Learn To Ride calling to tell me he would pick me and my wife up at the hotel in the morning with a trailer and he would arrange for a chain.
Next morning he was there and had a chain from the KTM dealer who is a friend of his. He had borrowed a chain breaker and off we went to his place and voila we were back on the road. The KTM dealer asked him to get cash or my credit card number. There are a lot of good folks out there and it instills a lot of faith in me that our riding community will help when you really need it.

Pay it forward when you can. It will pay off.
Cheers
Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry I dont know how to edit my previous post. It was the side plates that broke. One appeared toopen up and pull off a pin ad the opposite side snapped in the middle.

·
Registered
14,206 Posts
It's amazing how a POS situation can turn out well. I've experienced a couple good out comes unpleasant happenings before.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes, that is truly amazing how you went from disaster to back on the road. Bravo to all involved. Prince has a lot of great people up there. Interesting how it failed. New, it will support over 9,000 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts