StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents and ladies,
I have found a 2014 Vstrom 1000 left over. The dealer wants about 9k OTD including the associates fees. They offered me a 2800 dollar trade for my 2012 Wee Adventure. Is this a good deal, or what should I haggle for? I haven't tested it and won't unless the price point is right. Thank you for your help.

-Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chris, where are you located? New 2018 XT models can be had for about $10-$11K, should you be so inclined. Is the one you’re looking at an adventure model?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in TN. There is nothing wrong with me wee, I just saw a left over 14 Vee and thought I may be able to get a deal. They do have an 18 for 10 but I'm not looking to pay that. I like the 14 V looks and heard great thing about it's preformance. What do you think would be a good deal price wise for the 14?

·
Registered
37 Posts
First you can't expect a fantastic deal on the new bike price and a fantastic price for your trade in ... a dealers going to work one of those out to give them a bit of profit. So I'd suggest selling the Wee on Craigslist and you'll get way more money than trading it in.

It seems crazy they have a 5 year old brand new bike available. I guess that is ok ... tires? Engine parts? Some sitting in oil, some exposed to air inside the cases for 5 years. Battery? Just seems like that can't be good for a motorcycle.

And with that new 2014, as soon as you go ride it ~2000 miles or so it is just another 5 year old V-Strom ... so you are going to take a big depreciation hit. Look up the used value of a 2014 vs. the used value of a 2018.

I agree with the other poster, find a nice 2018 leftover for about ~1K more. And if that same dealer has an 18 for $1K more? Heck, buy that! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are so many low mileage used 2014 Vees that can be had in the $6k-$7k range with just a handful of miles that I wouldn't even bother buying it new at this point. Those 2014 used Vees in the market now have already seen most of their depreciation and they are a safe purchase for sure.

If you are really wanting to buy a new 2014 model and don'd mind loosing $2-3k in the first year of ownership then by all means buy it. The price that they are giving it to you at is definitely fair for a new one in my opinion.

If you can afford to do so then don't trade in your old bike. Sell it on craigslist for $1k more at least. It might take a couple weeks or so, but it will sell. Everything sells eventually.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the input. That's what I was thinking as well, I was just baffeled that they weren't working harder to get it out of their inventory. I like the od green color for sure but not that much

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I bought a two year old, left over Yamaha FJ 1200 once and never looked back. I got a good price on the bike and had no trade-in. Dealers actually make more money on used bikes. So the other posters are right that you would be better off selling your Wee on your own. If you keep your bikes a few years, then the instant depreciation won't be an issue at all. Eventually, it comes down to condition and miles that determine the value of a used bike. Sometimes we just like the style or appearance of an older model and find we have a chance to get a new one at a good price. Use Craig's List to sell your Wee for free.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
My Purchase

I just purchased this 2014 V2 for $7,600 with 4,600 miles on it. I felt the price was very reasonable as it is already fully farkled. Bark busters, Oxford heated grips, Givi AF wind screen, Suzuki center stand, Heed crash bars and bags, Ravetech skid plate, Healtech exhaust flapper delete, Mivv can, Motto Guzzi offroad pegs, Rox 2" risers and Protaper 1-1/8" bars.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
WAY over priced, my buddy just picked up a 15 with like 1200 miles for $6500........from private seller of course.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Yup. I'm also shopping for a 14 + 1K, and will go used, from a private seller. Usually, I'm the guy that keeps a bike for a year or two, purchases and installs all the accessories, then loses $$$ selling it for something different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WAY over priced, my buddy just picked up a 15 with like 1200 miles for $6500........from private seller of course.
That's what I thought. I figured 7500 8000 OTD would be a fair price or am I being crazy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
if they've held onto it this long they probably aren't willing to let it go for that price but it's worth a try.....

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you have cash most will deal. I gave $8000 for mine otd in 2015. They said no way and I said cash they said oh ok. Seems like I saw 2017’s on cycle trader for around 8k.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is what I'm hoping. I'm not even sure if I should upgrade, and won't know until I get a test ride. My 12' wee has under 3k miles due to being gone for work all the time etc. But I won't do that until the money is in the right spot.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
That is what I'm hoping. I'm not even sure if I should upgrade, and won't know until I get a test ride. My 12' wee has under 3k miles due to being gone for work all the time etc. But I won't do that until the money is in the right spot.
So why go out and buy a 1000, when you don’t even have time to ride your like new 650?:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So why go out and buy a 1000, when you don’t even have time to ride your like new 650?:confused:
Fig,
I like the aesthetics of the 14+ models,and what I've heard about the comfort of the ride, quality of suspension and brakes etc. If it doesn't work out it will be okay but was just really curious.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That was Big not Fig lol. I’ve never rode the 650. So I’m not sure what they are like. I looked at the specs before buying and I couldn’t see much difference in weight but the horsepower and torque is much better. I have a BMW S1000rr and I think the strom corners as well as it if not better. No comparison on the straights though lol. Which is quite disappointing for me. I like to get on the limiter. I ride the strom more then any of my other bikes though. It’s just too easy and convenient overall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fig sorry about that. I'm hoping to get a chance for to try 1000. From what I have heard it rides amazing, I can live with the lower mpg. Is the newer seat narrower?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Agreed, way overpriced for a '14. I'm looking at a leftover demo '18xt with 2000 miles, with center stand, suzuki luggage, and a 5 year warranty for $10k CDN.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts