StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I really appreciate all the information I could gather from you guys!

I'm buying a new V-Strom 650 ABS (not too sure if white or red) and I would like to know what services can I expect for a brand new bike? I know about the normal oil, filter, chain and etc. BUT I called the GP Sports (where I will probably buy the bike from) and I asked them about the normal services for this bike. They said every 15k I have to adjust the valves and cost around $600... is that true?

I have ridden off-road bikes for 12 years and the types and frequencies of services of them are completely different, so I'm a bit new for the on-road bike world.

My uncle used to have a V-Strom 1000 and after I took it for a ride I've always wanted one ever since. Now is the time and I'm really happy about it!

Hoping to post the photos soon! Thank you all!:hurray:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Your dealer is partially correct. The 15000 mile figure is for checking the valve clearances, but doesn't necessarily mean they will have to be adjusted. Most of the serving and maintenance you can do yourself, as it's pretty straight forward. Stay on this board and most, if not all, of your questions will be answered. I'm sure your dealer will be more than happy to take that $600.00 from you, but even that inspection/adjustment can be done by you if you have reasonable mechanical skills and tools. It's a bit of work, but once you get the hang of removing the body work and gas tank, it's not that bad.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Welcome! That is true about the valves. The first valve check should be done, but many people skip the 2nd and 3rd one. Then there's the normal stuff that you are familiar with from offroad- chain adjustment, oil/air filter.

For the California model, Suzuki recommends a throttle body sync at the first service- nobody does it- there is no need. My bike has not been and will not ever go back to the dealer.

If you keep your chain lubed and oil changed and you stay on-road, you could almost just gas-and-go for the first 20,000 miles, except for tires, throttle and clutch cable free-play, and lubing the kickstand pivot. It is advisable to periodically check the tightness of critical fasteners, especially the day you get it home and then at 600 miles.

You should check out cycletrader for pricing and try to keep their destination/setup etc. to under $500. That's about the best you can do in CA unless you catch them with a really old bike from a prior model year they are trying to unload. If you are willing to drive a little you should be able to get out the door for under $8300.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the replies !

I'll definitely do the valve check myself... can't be that hard and I'll save some good money too.

I don't know if any of you is planning on buying a brand new bike but the GP sports have a pretty good deal on the Wee's. Before tax is coming at 7,500 .... I went to the bike shop today to check the colors and I think the red will be my choice! The white is nice but I never liked white car/bikes and the red is a different type of red, looks good with the black parts of the body.

Have a great ride guys! Hope to have the bike by Sunday!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If you shim the valves on the first check so all the clearances are in the middle to wide end of the range, you can go another 100,000 miles before checking again. In 50,000 miles, I had one exhaust valve close up one leaf on the gauge. The first check is important though because you don't know where the clearances are until you do that one.

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you shim the valves on the first check so all the clearances are in the middle to wide end of the range, you can go another 100,000 miles before checking again. In 50,000 miles, I had one exhaust valve close up one leaf on the gauge. The first check is important though because you don't know where the clearances are until you do that one.

Good to know. I plan on checking mine after my trip next week. I just didn't realize I wouldn't have the time before my trip, and just tripped 15k today. I don't reckon it will hurt to wait another 3k.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Katiti, read the maintenance requirements in your owner's manual, then check back here. Some of those requirements are very important, and some can be deferred by a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Greywolf for putting the post in the right place!

I am going crazy! Can't wait to get the bike! Unfortunately my first stop will be at the DMV to do my practical test for my Driver's licence lol

off the topic here but I saw a lot of comments about being too short to ride that bike, (I'm 5'6 inseam 28.5) I sat on the bike today and it was better than what I expected to be! I had both feet on the ground... tiptoes of course. But I thought I would be half off the sit when stopped :thumbup:

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice bike! I really like dark cars/bikes... I wish they had the same color of the adventure on the standard !

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why don't you ask the dealer to convert one to the other? The difference between the "adventure" and "standard" are parts added by the dealer.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Before you even get on the bike the first time crand the rear suspension preload all the way out (counterclockwise 20 to 30 clicks I think). This will lower the bike until you get used to it.

The CA practical test requires driving in a tight circle while staying inside lines that are about 12" apart. The test is designed to ensure that you need to use the clutch and/or brake to navigate the circle. You can't put your foot down. Some people just rent a scooter for an hour to pass the test. It's best to just get the permit and then go to the DMV during off hours to practice on their test setup. You also have to do the circle clockwise AND counterclockwise.

Only five small body panels would have to be painted if you want to change colors.

·
38,103 Posts
Before you even get on the bike the first time crand the rear suspension preload all the way out (counterclockwise 20 to 30 clicks I think). This will lower the bike until you get used to it.
I would advise against that. It can cause the suspension to bottom out. Preload should be set to let the suspension settle about 40mm from full extension when carrying its normal load. Change links to lower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tips guys! I wanted to rent a little bike to do the DMV test but it is so hard to find a rental place here in northern CA... I might look at it again, doing the test with the Wee might be a bit hard!

does anyone own a adventure version?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I own a 2012 Adventure, because I got an outstanding deal on it. You might be better served by buying the bags, windshield, and engine guards in the aftermarket. It all depends upon how much they want to charge for the parts, and installation if you are going to have them do it.

That said, I like mine a whole lot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If you take and pass the Motorcycle Safety Training class, you don't have to take the riding test. Might be worth it.....

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you take and pass the Motorcycle Safety Training class, you don't have to take the riding test. Might be worth it.....
:thumbup:

Didn't think about that. The safety course is a very worthwhile investment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts