StromTrooper banner

2014 Starts and runs but dies

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Bugzy 
#1 ·
Fired up the Strom this morning. I was bringing her from behind the house to the front to get ready to ride and after about 25 yards the bike shut down. I cranked her up and while it took a little longer for her to fire, she fired back up and ran about another 25 yards and the same thing happened. The bike will start after cranking (cranking for a little longer than usual) then shut down after about 20 seconds of run time. The bike has good gas, and it will die at idle, or while on the throttle.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Ooops I think I'm in the wrong forum since a 2014.

No trouble lights, it has 20,000 miles on her, ran great less than a week ago when I put the kickstand down. I did take the battery a couple fays ago out to check it before I went out with my girl today, and it checked fine.

#8 ·
Battery is good. Fuel is good.
And you know the fuel and battery is good how? :confused: If you have done nothing to your bike since the last time you rode it and was fine, then IMHO the only 2 things to focus on first are the battery and fuel. Batteries do weird things my man, I know this from personal experience.

#11 ·
As for the battery.....mine tested good as well, but it obviously wasn't. :wink2: I kept having a voltage drain when my bike sat for even a few days, bike also didn't start up right. I installed a new YUASA which replaced the cheap piece of crap I cheaped out on, that fixed the issues and bike runs/starts like a Rolex going on over a year now.

You didn't wash your bike recently by chance did you? I'd throw an almost full can of seafoam of Berryman12 in a "full tank" of gas and see what happens. You can also put in about half a can for what's in there now, it most certainly cannot hurt and might even solve your issues. :wink2:

#10 ·
Spark _ Fuel _ and .... AIR
Any chance a critter has made a nest in the air intake?
Gas cap air vent clear?
Charcoal canister?

The other thing you haven't said yet: during the 20 seconds of life will it rev up freely?
Will it start without pulling in the clutch lever?

#13 ·
During the 20 seconds of life will it rev up freely - yes, it will rev anywhere you want to take it
Will it start without pulling in the clutch lever - I don't know. I'll kick her in neutral and try tonight
Any chance a critter has made a nest in the air intake? - I'll check!
Gas cap air vent clear? - No clue. Run a paperclip through the vent?
Charcoal canister? - again not a clue, I'm searching the web, where is this?

Thanks!

#17 ·
Hey guys - an update

It was a self inflicted wound. I took it to the shop and told them the story. They said that they ran the diagnostics & a "TO" sensor was installed upside down? The tech said it looked like when I took the battery out I put it in wrong.

I don't remember unplugging anything but the leads and taking the cover loose, but I'm sure that I must have done the plug also...

Can you guys help me with two other things?

1 - What the hell is a TO sensor so I don't do this again?

2 - diagnostics - how do I run my own?

Many thanks guys

#22 ·
Yes the tip over sensor. I'm a idiot!

Actually it was not on it's pegs when I took the seat off and too the battery out (it is just behind the battery on the 1000). I thought I was tidying up when slid the rubber cover back on the little prongs that held it, but it was in the wrong position.

Live & learn! Maybe this will help someone else!

#23 ·
Interesting. Once again shows the reliability of this bike, when you think.. oh crap, something major going on, and then it turns out to be so simple.

You can buy a switch to turn on the dealer diagnosis codes. Google 09930-82720 or short a couple of pins in the connector under the seat.

I feel better with a proper connector and a switch myself, just so I don't short the wrong pins together and melt my ECM or something, not sure if that is even possible. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.