Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the U.S. vs. Canada pricing is still a mystery. I have checked various bikes' price differential - including several Suzukis - the pricing seems to have no consistency - for example, the 109-R "Boss" is way cheaper in the U.S. than Canada, and, as most know, the 2014 DL-650 is 7+ % cheaper in the U.S. - $9099.00 Cdn., vs $8499.00 U.S.

I guess the bottom line is, Suzuki is setting MSRP's based on what they think they can get...(not based on dealer cost.) It still does not make sense that Yanks must pay $1200.00 more than Canucks - $11499.00 Cdn. vs $12699.00 U.S. for the base model 1000 - a 9.4% differential - NOOOOOO!!!! The rate of exchange today is $1.00 U.S. to $.94 Cdn. - but that is only 6% - and, the import duty MUST be cheaper in the U.S. than Canada...

My advice to anyone in U.S. considering a new 1000 Strom - is: absolutely do not pay more than MSRP in Canada - $11499.00.

Thanks for the rant...

--John

·
Registered
833 Posts
From an advertising in a Canadian magazine, MSRP will be 11,999$ in Canada.
Does 12,699$ in USA is official from Suzuki, or just speculations?
Just relax and wait, I dont believe it will be cheaper in Canada.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Well, just going with today's U.S. and Canadian Suzuki motorcycle website posted MSRP prices - $12,699.00 for U.S., $11,499.00 for the VStrom 1000.

Trying to shed some (needed) light on this (as we approach the solstice) - the exchange rates today are: $1.00 CDN. to 97.41 JPN Yen, and $1.00 to 103.19 JPN Yen - so, I am no trade expert, but if I was a Japanese, selling a product (say, a Suzuki motorcycle), to, say, North America, it looks to me like that product is going to be sold with less dollars to the U.S. than to Canada.

...The mystery continues... Let me repeat, at the risk of sounding like a nag - DO NOT pay more than $11499.00 for this motorcycle...period...

--John

·
Premium Member
710 Posts

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Marketers are a slimy little group and yes there is only a vague association between cost and selling price.

Its know as the area under the curve whereby you maximize the units and price for the greatest return. If a some what lower price is believed to increase volume then they make more money.

If I was there I would be cognizant of the climactic differences where ALL of bell Canada has a short riding season where there is about 1/3 of the US that has basically year around use.

There may also be slightly different cheaper bikes as I am sure that the Canadian version of the EPA is more reasonable, I don't know maybe just no cat ??? would cover the differences.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I happened to be looking on Cycletrader for another bike, and I saw that the 2014 DL1000's were starting to get listed. The prices were ranging between $11,800 up to $14,000. I have no idea how accurate these ads are, or if the various dealerships actually have the bikes, but those are the prices I saw on line.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that link rod r...

I did some calculations within that import duty calculator website...

With "product value" of $9000.00 (my guess at production cost) - I calculated this in U.S. dollars...and "shipping costs" of $200.00, and insurance of $100.00 - the total "landed cost" is $10321.84 to British Columbia, Canada (apparently different for different provinces) - this from Japan ---

The "landed cost" to the U.S. from Japan with the same shipping and insurance costs is $9547.18 or..... 7.5% CHEAPER to the U.S.!!!

By the way, with the same amounts, all calculated in U.S. dollars, the "landed cost" to UK is $7256.09.

Also, I see only one 2014 1000 listed on Cycletrader - it is an Adventure at Oklahoma Honda Suzuki in Del City, Oklahoma, and the price is $13999.00 - which is the Suzuki website's MSRP.

Bottom line, boys and girls, is that we Yanks are getting SCREWED!!!

--Boy these rants feel good...:yes nod:

--John

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Maumee, OH $11,599
Marietta, GA $11,810
Bellevillle, NJ Request Price
Conyers, GA $11,810
Lemon Grove, CA $13,999
Lake Villa, IL $12,699
Miami FL $12,699
Canonsburg, PA $12,699
Oakdale, NY $12,699

Those were from the first page of a nationwide search on Cycletrader for a 2014 DL1000.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Maumee, OH $11,599
Marietta, GA $11,810
Bellevillle, NJ Request Price
Conyers, GA $11,810
Lemon Grove, CA $13,999
Lake Villa, IL $12,699
Miami FL $12,699
Canonsburg, PA $12,699
Oakdale, NY $12,699

Those were from the first page of a nationwide search on Cycletrader for a 2014 DL1000.
Awesome dealership, bought my 2008 C14 there. They probably sell more motorcycles online than any dealer in the country, I did my deal over the phone and was treated right. I would not hesitate to buy from them again, it is about 2.5 hours for me, but I may be giving them a call if I ever pull the trigger on the new 1000 V.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
If you are serious about pursuing a good price I would strongly recommend just going and talking turkey with your dealer, with deposit cash in hand. I did, and got a very good price that I am more than content with (think Ohio in the above list). Everything is down on black and white now and it's all over but the waiting. Watching the positive reviews roll in after making the decision is icing on the cake.

But as always, I try to remember that a good deal is a state of mind anyway.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Awesome dealership, bought my 2008 C14 there. They probably sell more motorcycles online than any dealer in the country, I did my deal over the phone and was treated right. I would not hesitate to buy from them again, it is about 2.5 hours for me, but I may be giving them a call if I ever pull the trigger on the new 1000 V.
Thanks for the info, B. I might be moving north soon, and that would place an Ohio dealership within easy reach. I'll be honest, in spite of that ugly beak, I've bounced back and forth between a new DL1000 and an FJR1300. I love the FJR, but I also love the luggage capacity on a V. Assuming, of course, I can ever get rid of my Road King; selling that is like trying to sell condoms in a convent.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RC,

I have the same dilemma - FJR or DL1000... leftover 2012 FJR's look good - price wise, besides that very hot Blue color :yes nod: - and I am coming from a DL650 - a near perfect all-rounder...

--John

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Thanks for the info, B. I might be moving north soon, and that would place an Ohio dealership within easy reach. I'll be honest, in spite of that ugly beak, I've bounced back and forth between a new DL1000 and an FJR1300. I love the FJR, but I also love the luggage capacity on a V. Assuming, of course, I can ever get rid of my Road King; selling that is like trying to sell condoms in a convent.
Beautiful part of the state up there as well, Lake Erie is amazing! I would buy the new FJR were I to get another sport touring machine, I loved my C14 but that new FJR really hits the right buttons for me. The more I see and read about the new 1000 VII, it looks more and more like my next purchase "eventually", of course who knows what changes will be made again by the time that happens. :) The Road Kings are by far my favorite Harley to ride, especially a retired police edition which my best buddy owned 2 of. If your Harley is as nice as it sounds, I bet you would have better luck selling it further North towards Ohio. Would trading it in be an option, or would that be losing your butt?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
RC,

I have the same dilemma - FJR or DL1000... leftover 2012 FJR's look good - price wise, besides that very hot Blue color :yes nod: - and I am coming from a DL650 - a near perfect all-rounder...

--John
It really is a dilemma. I love the look of the FJR, and have read nothing but good things about it, plus it's the cheapest of big liter sport tourers. I would really miss that pelican style luggage on the V, though; nothing like being able to easily pack for two on a trip, and still be able to use the bike to get groceries! Love the blue on the FJR, but not too crazy about the new red ones. Maybe I could outfit the FJR with a new rack and the Pelicans......

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Beautiful part of the state up there as well, Lake Erie is amazing! I would buy the new FJR were I to get another sport touring machine, I loved my C14 but that new FJR really hits the right buttons for me. The more I see and read about the new 1000 VII, it looks more and more like my next purchase "eventually", of course who knows what changes will be made again by the time that happens. :) The Road Kings are by far my favorite Harley to ride, especially a retired police edition which my best buddy owned 2 of. If your Harley is as nice as it sounds, I bet you would have better luck selling it further North towards Ohio. Would trading it in be an option, or would that be losing your butt?
I've looked at the reports on the Concours, ST 1300 and the FJR (I didn't bother with Beemers or Triumphs...too far out of my price range). They all get great marks, but the FJR seemed edge out the others, and it comes with better standard equipment, with the added benefit of being the cheapest.

Trading looks more and more like an option, B. Admittedly this is a bad time of year to sell a bike, but I've dropped the price three times and haven't received one serious offer. If I went much lower I'd be at the price a dealer might offer me for a trade in; at that point, I'd just trade it rather than have the hassle of selling it outright. I guess that would be losing my butt, but if you only get one offer, then that just became the best offer in town LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
I have test ridden the ST1300 and the FJR. The ST was easy to ride and comfortable. I wasn't blown away by the power though, it didn't feel all that much different than my 750 Honda Shadow with all the extra weight etc. My Vee would blow it away I think, at least it feels that way.

The FJR was fun, excellent power, but the leg position would have my legs cramping within an hour or two. Not a bike I could ride long distances. Maybe people get used to that cramped leg position over time?

I haven't sat on the V2 yet. Will do that at the Motorcycle show in January. Looking forward to it. Hopefully they don't have it sitting on a secure center stand. I need to see what it fells like to pull it up and reach the ground etc. as I am 5'10".

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
On Cycletrader, there was an Alabama dealer listing the 2014 1000 for $11,299 and the Adv version was around $12,399. I don't know what the OTD price is. I also notice on CT there is a dealer in Romney, VW that is always very low on the Suzukis. If I lived close to there, I would check them out.

RCnNC,

The new V1000 is going to be a lot lighter than the FJR, if that is a consideration. If 10-15% of your riding is long distance, not sure the big tourer is going to be a plus, overall. Another consideration is that the 2014 Ninja 1000 is going to be better equipped for touring. They already had a luggage option, and leftovers can be picked up for cheap right now. Also around 500 pounds with gas. Probably not as comfortable as the Veek will be though. Just faster.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
To make the US buyers feel better. I see a full price listed on an ad up here in Canada for this bike.

Adventure model is $12,999. The base model is $11,999. Then the kicker;

$895 Freight, Build, Pre-Delivery Inspection, Crate Disposal, Detailing
$195 Documentation fee
$5 Tire levy
12% Tax in BC

Brings the price for the base model to $14,533 OTD and the Adventure is $15,653. Then you have to spend another 1k on insurance. Ouch.

This is CAD.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
12% tax in B.C., really?? You guys in the Great White North need to import some of our ultra-conservative tax hounds...:yes nod:

In regards to selling a bike - I had cruisers for many years - I probably don't need to tell most of you: buy in cold, wet weather, sell in hot, sunny weather...I call hot sunny days "cruiser days"... polish the chrome...then go show off... and, if you have a Harley ...you can do the potato-potato song...:yes nod: (just had to get that Harley dig in there...)

RE: FJR vs. new Strom 1000 - which you may already know... the Feejer is much better in wind, much more stable overall... and, is one of the fastest motorcycles, and to expand the frame, one of the fastest production motor vehicles made...(no kidding - check it out - 0 to 60 in the 2.5 to 2.8 range... many reports of quarter mile time under 11.0 - and, top speed? who cares above 150 mph...:yes nod:)

BTW, I had a 2009 Concours 14 - not nearly the bike the FJR is - re: ready power, build quality, known reliability, and most of all, cornering and overall maneuverability - the Feejer wins hands down...I sold the Connie because, esp. with the stock tires, it cornered like a tank...took way more energy than necessary to hold a line in corners...

the new Strom may be more "flickable" (as is my DL650) - but how 'bout stability, and tracking capability... the rider reports will tell a lot, but my preferred source for information regarding a bike purchase is from people who have ridden the machine in realtime conditions... and the FJR likely has more miles ridden than any motorcycle ever built...

--John

1 - 20 of 47 Posts