StromTrooper banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
No. It's what their online store said. In any case, I'm in Australia. And I've found a local supplier for both the universal adapter and the DRD unit.
It's not a universal adapter. It's 2014+ DL-one-thou-pow specific.

To be honest, it wouldn't be that hard to tap into the existing wires behind the gauge cluster.....just a few taps and about 18" total of wire.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ok, I steeled my nerves and opened the package with the Speedo DRD and the adapter. I am guess these two parts plug into one another, leave a male and female plug to connect in between the bike's speedo connector. Really looks like it can only go one way.

So, to take the speedo dash apart, just the push pins at the top right and left, and two allen screws at bottom left and right? I examined it today, I will try it tomorrow.

How many percent is the 2018 1000 off, I read somewhere it is 6.7% negative, is that about right?
http://www.12oclocklabs.com/sdrd_calc.htm

Wish me luck, I really hate doing this stuff to a new bike.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok, I steeled my nerves and opened the package with the Speedo DRD and the adapter. I am guess these two parts plug into one another, leave a male and female plug to connect in between the bike's speedo connector. Really looks like it can only go one way.

So, to take the speedo dash apart, just the push pins at the top right and left, and two allen screws at bottom left and right? I examined it today, I will try it tomorrow.

How many percent is the 2018 1000 off, I read somewhere it is 6.7% negative, is that about right?
http://www.12oclocklabs.com/sdrd_calc.htm

Wish me luck, I really hate doing this stuff to a new bike.
Yep. Speedo removal is easy once you do it a time. After you get the two push pins and two bolts out, you'll have to pull around the edge, as the speedo surround snaps behind the piece in front of it. There is also a rubber boot that the back of the speedo slides into. Just pull it from the bottom right corner where the bolt is and work your way up and around to the left side.

I tried -6.7 and -6.8% and would be happy with either.

Good luck. You won't need it.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Mine was -6.4% / -6.5%. Checked against the mileage markers with a stopwatch multiple times and multiple miles at a time. Also checked against the GPS cell phone speedometer app (not a dedicated GPS).

So pretty much the same neighborhood...

Not sure about the 2018, but I imagine it'll be the same.

You'll love having the correct speed and in a week you won't give another thought about modding your new bike. Well worth every effort...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ok, did it, but the grey plug was almost impossible to seat into the back of the speedo. I kept looking for a tab or something to depress. That little black bar, what does it do?

I didn't bother trying to tape up anything, I doubt I could make it waterproof.

Speed now correct, this is a brilliant bit of hardware.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I had the same problem when I got mine.

The black bar is part of the internals to keep the wires in place, it needs to be pushed home all the way.

With mine the internals had not been completely pushed home, I could see the problem, I pushed everything into place in the connector first then it fitted fine. (it is in one of my old posts ?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ordered an adaptor cable from Brooks @12 o'clock labs.
Just sent him an email to sort out. He makes them on demand now.

Took my S1 off my 650K9 to fit to my new DL1k L17.

I should see the adaptor in a week or 2.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
Now that I have my bike back on the road I can see that the problem I had previously with the speedometer sometimes displaying Zero is still present. I thought I had resolved this when I discovered the connector was not fully inserted, but apparently that was not it.

Riding down the road, when I shift down, it goes to zero, then a few seconds later it comes back to normal.

I have tried two S1 units now, both have same issue, so it would seem to be a problem with the cables. I guess I will have to get in there again to see if I can spot anything. I am wondering about the connection to the dash, it was mentioned that there is a trick to inserting this, but I did not have any issues with it, but perhaps I did not install that correctly somehow.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have not had this problem, so far. Maybe you can try this: What happens if you unplug the S1 unit and ride down the road a bit, does the speedo readout show zero? If so, then I think it's still a connection problem.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
I have not had this problem, so far. Maybe you can try this: What happens if you unplug the S1 unit and ride down the road a bit, does the speedo readout show zero? If so, then I think it's still a connection problem.
That was the suggestion from the company too. I ran the bike for a month with just the extension cable and no S1 and the speedometer worked normally, never went to zero.

·
Registered
575 Posts
With all this hullabaloo about just about every bike I've ever known. And with all the latest and greatest technological advances, wouldn't ya think they could get the speedo right! I either subtract 4-6mph in my head, depending on my speed or rely on the Zumo speed reading. But...... I shouldn't really have to, now, should I. This has been pretty much my biggest complaint ( guess I could be thankful for that). But WTF, they can't get a speedo right! Blah, blah, blah!!! OK, now I feel better! lol
Ride safe all.
gary

81 - 91 of 91 Posts