StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has gone beyond the 130mph top speed that I have read about. And if so, what work have you done and what was the top end? Before we get into some sort of safety issue discussion or anything about laws,losing your license etc., thats not what this post is about. Im just curious as to what kind of power and speed can be achieved with the right mods.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Gone 200 km/h (125 mph) on mine and slowed down, didn't want to go more but it had a lot more juice to go.
X-TRE installed as the only engine modification.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A TRE will remove the top speed restriction and allow the bike to go faster than its chassis and aerodynamics were designed to support.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
A TRE will remove the top speed restriction and allow the bike to go faster than its chassis and aerodynamics were designed to support.
and tires...

Reactions: CollingsBob

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My speedo has been adjusted to be very accurate (not like the stocker) using a speedo-healer. I've hit 129 on the straight stretch at a local track and that was before I added the TRE but after the cams, exhaust, 4* advancer and such. I don't know what the top speed is and don't really need to know. Very stable, even under hard braking for the corner coming up. Mine is also lowered about 1.5" both ends. Does 114 or so in the quarter mile. No issues. Mine is an '06 though. Not a '14. 40,000 miles. 99 RWHP. I know a guy who does hop up 'Stroms and he can get about 115 RWHP but it's not cheap! 'Stroms are not intended to go too fast. It's just not made for that. Acceleration is fine, but getting over 130 is treading on thin ice with their geometry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wish the tre did! No difference on mine with or without the tre fitted. Hits 125 then runs outa puff, bit like its owner! Tre does remove to top speed restriction on things like gsrx's or zx10'a etc but the vee2 is not that fast im afraid.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It will go faster. At 132 indicated it had 2500/3000 revs left. But drag vs. Hp is the real restriction. If you had a long enough stretch.. Small windshield.. Layed the shield back all the way.. Tucked in behind it and pulled the bags off it will probably see 140 but that's all the gearing it has

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
"Not true, the speed rating of the stock battle wing is about 150mph"

Some tires may be more stable at the higher speed even though the stock tires are rated for 150.
Seems to me when GW says the bikes are unstable at high speed, I believe him and really have no desire to experience a tank slapper. My hair is grey enough already.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
A man's got to know his limitations. If he doesn't, the motorcycle will surely teach him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does seem to run out of steam early. I will say this though-after riding Harley Davidsons for years the power the V2 provides is impressive,to say the least! Still love my Harleys but this will be my daily ride for (hopefully ) a very long time!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I wish the tre did! No difference on mine with or without the tre fitted.
What gear did you set it for? The Vee used 4th for its only unrestricted gear. I'm not sure about the Vee2 but one member used 5th. He did it for low speed smoothness though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I started in fourth and its now in 5th as that gear is smoother at low speeds. But the difference is small. The tre for this bike is not about speed but smoother running. She might on the right day do 140mph but that would be it with a standard bike, tre or not as the bike can't breathe above 8000rpm in the higher gears. It was no more unstable at 130 mph that any other adventure bike I've rode, tiger 1050, 955 or 800 and better than a few road bikes I've had! Anyway its fast enough for me now (apart for the TT week when I wish it was a multistrada!)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Anybody with a Strom who wants to go faster than 130 mph has the wrong bike (as well as a death wish), IMHO. Even though it has felt stable in the low triple digits the few times I've done it, going to be more careful after recently reading about a tank slapper experience someone had at those speeds. I think I would want to fit up a steering damper to regularly push the bike into that territory.

Reactions: strominateacup

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anybody with a Strom who wants to go faster than 130 mph has the wrong bike (as well as a death wish), IMHO. Even though it has felt stable in the low triple digits the few times I've done it, going to be more careful after recently reading about a tank slapper experience someone had at those speeds. I think I would want to fit up a steering damper to regularly push the bike into that territory.
I think that if one was to spend a lot of time in the triple digit range a rockrt would be far more siutable. I like to open mine up once in awhile.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts