StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2014 Dl1000 with around 42000 miles for sale in my area. The seller has only had the bike a few months and has no maintenance history to share. Says he bought it from an older gentleman in the Sacramento area. It is a white one. If anyone has any info to share it would be helpful as it is a great price but with no maintenance history at 42000 miles I am fairly hesitant to proceed.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Gotta say, Ive never seen a '14 DL1000 in White. All Ive ever seen was the Red, Desert Khaki, and the Black Adventure models.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Not sure if that's allowed, dont want to steer you wrong. You can PM me if you like, I have a '14 DL1K Desert Khaki myself.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
They sell White in Canada, maybe it's an illegal alien? You might want to give ICE a call?

If it's a Khaki one, then you should be good. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks to be very well frakled out.I would call or email to get the VIN# then go see it.But if you want or need what's on the bike I would offer $5000.Me I would look for a low milage low or no frakled one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought this 2014 with 9k on the clock last November for 7k, akrapovic exhaust, engine guards, giving cases, hand guards, heated grips, center stand(don't know if that's standard), and new rotors for some reason which I don't know.....

Point being that seems a bit pricey.....

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that the price seems high with the miles however CA prices are higher anyway. I would love to find a lower mile option however there are not many DL1000s for sale in my area. I think people are waiting for spring to list them and then those same folks will ask more as it is the beginning of the riding season.

Any one else care to chime in?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was actually looking at Dale Walkers personal bike that he developed his system on. It only had 14000 on it and was advertised for 6500. But 250 plus dyno pulls was kind of a turnoff.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I personally don't think that 42,000 miles is a big deal for a well maintained VStrom. I'd bet 150,000. But, then, maintenance IS the question, isn't it. I don't know how much of a job it is to compression check the cylinders, but that would be a good thing to know. If you decide to purchase this bike, the somewhat high mileage might be a good lever for a lower price. Anyway, good luck with your quest; and do let us know how this turns out. I'm loving my '14 Khaki!
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I went and looked at it. Sellers ad said it was like new. Well when I saw it I was shocked. The beak was painted black, the tank was painted white with a huge run in the paint. Scratches in the plastic tank covers. Both wheels were Fubar with what looked like multiple tire changes with a screw driver with no care for the wheels paint. The brake pedal was bent back and you could see a fresh gouge in the side case. I could pull the chain about a 1/2 inch back off sprockets. And when I asked about the clutch he said it did have the chudder on takeoff. And to top it off the tags were expired, and the bike was still in the previous owners name. What a colossal waste of time. :furious:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts