StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share what I have done to my 2014 DL1000 (not an Adventure) since I bought it the last week of August 2015.

I have made many changes and added a lot to it to make it MY bike so let’s get started!

This is the bike as it sits with all the goodies - Nice looking. All the other parts/pictures will be in random order :)

I added a SW Motech engine guard - aluminum - I know some say its a bit flimsy but it’s better than nothing and I’m not off road much anymore. I also added a Suzuki Center stand which works well but it does take some umph to get it in place when the bike is packed. But - Its doable.

20151226_191522_resized.jpg

Tank Bag - I chose the Suzuki large tank bag due to the weekend trips I take. It is a camp on bag which removes by pulling a small rope. The bag pops off and can be set aside to refuel. This is the bag I wanted because it said V-Strom on it but…… the dealer checked with Suzuki and was tole that was just a preproduction bag in the photo and it now has Suzuki on it.

20151226_190219_resized.jpg

I modified the bag quite a bit by adding power and the controls for the heated gear I have. I cut a small hole in the bottom of the bag and ran a battery tender connection in and the power cord for my heated gear. As you can see, the white and black connectors come out of the front of the bag for easy connections to my coat and pants. Inside the small zippered compartment is the heat controller - very easy access when riding.

20151226_190243_resized.jpg

In addition, I added a few things inside the bag. First is a USB/Cig lighter. I soldered on a battery tender lead and plug it in when I ride. If you do this, meter the leads! I got the first attempt wrong and blew the port out! Anyhow, that gives me power for my GPS and all my USB devices such as my phone, Uclear etc. I have an LED light in there as well for night time. I also have a small cable and lock that I can slip through my helmet and tank bag and lock it. Normally I can toss the helmet in a pannier but this works well for when they are full. Oh and I have a garage door opener in there too.

20151226_190334_resized.jpg

While we are at it in that area of the bike - I added Koso heated grips with the switch built in to the left hand grip. I really didn't like the controller that you had to mount on your handlebars that the Oxford grips have.

They are about $40.00 more but you have to try things to see if they are better and they are! I will keep Koso grips on all my bikes in the future. They heat very well and I have ridden in mid weight gloves in 35 degrees and they have kept me warm.

Oh and if you are wondering about my heated pants and coat liner, they are Firstgear heated liner, Firstgear Heated pant liner. Both are available at Revzilla for about $160 each. The heat controller I have is Gerbing 12v dual (jacket and pants liner) controller. All said and done it’s all worth every penny! One other thing to consider is that the heated liner is heated up to the collar which creaps into your helmet! :)

20151226_190531_resized.jpg

Firstgear Heated Pant Liner - RevZilla

Firstgear Heated Jacket Liner - RevZilla

See my next post for more changes!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2014 DL1000 Mods - Part 2

Next is my Garmin. I used the SW-Motech GPS mount. It’s close to the bag and easy to power. I do like the ones I have seen that are at the windshield but the stock cig lighter sucks so I didn’t want to run that route.

SW-MOTECH Vibration-Damped Quick-Lock GPS Mounting Base for Suzuki V-Strom 1000 '14-'16 | TwistedThrottle.com

20151226_190638_resized.jpg

Power is next. I added a Fuzeblock which has a built in relay, very easy to install and can manage 6 additional circuits. I ran my additional lighting there and its all fused.

For my additional lighting I added 2 10w LEDs that are not switched and come on with the bike. I added 2 27w lights too that are switched. I added a switch to the handle bars to control them. If you turn them all on you light up the world! I will be changing the high and low beam headlights to LED this winter.

20151226_191123_resized.jpg
20151226_191307_resized.jpg
20151226_191329_resized.jpg

The windshield I chose is a Pugh. They run 90.00 at Revzillla and not a scratch on it after 4000 miles.

Puig Touring Windscreen Suzuki V-Strom 1000 2014-2016 - RevZilla

For the panniers I got some battery operated lights at Walmart and used Velcro to add them into my panniers.
20151226_191846_resized.jpg

Seat: The stock seat is fairly hard but after about 3000-4000 miles it broke in nicely. I can ride all day but I normally use an airhawk for long rides.

Well thats it for now - I hope you get some ideas of things you can do to your bike!

·
Registered
615 Posts
All looks good mate :smile2: If you open the dash up, you can wire from the back of the power socket to the GPS if it's mounted at the screen. What LED bulbs to you plan on using? I'm researching the same mod at the moment and any info is appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All looks good mate :smile2: If you open the dash up, you can wire from the back of the power socket to the GPS if it's mounted at the screen. What LED bulbs to you plan on using? I'm researching the same mod at the moment and any info is appreciated. Cheers

Im not sure yet - I will consider anything at the moment!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

I have eBay ones in my 650XT and Cyclops ones in my V2. They both work and look great but if I were you I'd go with the Cyclops LED bulbs.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
What LED bulbs to you plan on using? I'm researching the same mod at the moment and any info is appreciated. Cheers
I ordered a 3S fanless H7 from eBay/China. It hasn't arrived yet.

I was in Hong Kong and Shenzhen last week and couldn't haggle a better price than I could get on eBay, so I figured why spend more and have to drag them around the world?

It was good to see them in person while in China, though. They are very compact. If the results are good, I'll order the H11 later on. The V-Strom high beam is an H9 but it appears the LED's are sold as interchangable replacemnts for H8/H9/H11.

Tipsy

·
Administrator
17,368 Posts
Not sure why you started a separate thread for the same subject/topic, don't be surprised if I end up merging the two.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure why you started a separate thread for the same subject/topic, don't be surprised if I end up merging the two.
There is a limit on the amount of pictures per thread so that's why it is in 2 parts. If you can merge them - awesome!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I was in Hong Kong and Shenzhen last week and couldn't haggle a better price than I could get on eBay, so I figured why spend more and have to drag them around the world?

It was good to see them in person while in China, though. They are very compact. If the results are good, I'll order the H11 later on. The V-Strom high beam is an H9 but it appears the LED's are sold as interchangable replacemnts for H8/H9/H11.

Tipsy
Are these the proper lights?

CREE All in One Fanless Car LED Headlight Bulbs 3S H7 H11 9005 9006 DIY 5 Colors | eBay

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Go to the KOSO web site. The grips are the AM-111. Not sure which length.
Here is a link to the grips
http://www.koso.com.tw/products-detail.php?id=947&lang=en

They are 120mm long and I think stock is 100mm or 110mm. I called Koso and you can trim the grips about 10mm if you want to.

There is a switch built into the hand grip just below the light. As for the length, they are about 1/4 inch longer than stock grips. I simply loosened the throttle grip and moved it over a bit and the same for the clutch side. Very easy adjustment and you don't have to trim the grips. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Yes, but it seems that listing is for multiple sizes. Some sellers have a drop down box from which to select H7, H11, etc. Others have seperate listings for each size bulb. That seller has several sizes in the listing header and no drop down from which to select, so I'm guessing you have to specify H7 somewhere in a comment box or email.

But yes, that's the style I ordered and I had one in my hand while I was in China. It's very compact.

Tipsy

·
Registered
615 Posts

Tipsy

Looking forward to your impressions on these bulbs. :smile2:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, but it seems that listing is for multiple sizes. Some sellers have a drop down box from which to select H7, H11, etc. Others have seperate listings for each size bulb. That seller has several sizes in the listing header and no drop down from which to select, so I'm guessing you have to specify H7 somewhere in a comment box or email.

But yes, that's the style I ordered and I had one in my hand while I was in China. It's very compact.

Tipsy
They list making the choice of H7, H11 etc in the Terms of Sale. I just ordered them so we will see how they look! Thanks!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts