StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, new to the site...just joined to see how many of you have had a similar problem such as mine. I have a '14 Storm and I just changed the oil in it at the 600 mile service, myself. Took it on a ride and noticed that there is a very distinct knock in the motor, even at idle and under load. Not going to ride it until I get a hold of the dealer, I just got it about a month ago. I would like to go in a little more informed before I talk to them about it, so any help is greatly appreciated.

The sound is like piston slap. Before the oil change, it was completely quiet, (as quite as these are). I KNOW what these are supposed to sound like, this is not my first Suzuki twin, but this noise is bad enough to make me want to trailer it to my dealer.

HELP?!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Do a search for "idle hammer". Short answer is just ride it. I think someone makes a cure but you have to take the engine apart? Disclaimer: I've never dealt with this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a search for "idle hammer". Short answer is just ride it. I think someone makes a cure but you have to take the engine apart? Disclaimer: I've never dealt with this problem.
Thanks, G-DUB...but here's the issue, the knock isn't just at idle, and all through the RPM range...this is really driving me nuts. I think my KLR 650 might make less noise than this thing does now.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Thanks, G-DUB...but here's the issue, the knock isn't just at idle, and all through the RPM range...this is really driving me nuts. I think my KLR 650 might make less noise than this thing does now.

Thanks for the help
Don't know about that problem, hopefully someone on here has suggestions.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree with Rob. If it's truly that bad it should show in a video.

The 600 mile service knock is normal, but if you really think it's worse than it should be then by all means get it looked at.

With nothing else to go on, my guess is that currently there is nothing wrong with your engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2014 DL1000A two weeks ago. After first service I noticed it knocking when warm. No knock until it warms up. Took it to dealer and they said it was the clutch basket. It goes away at approx 2000 RPM, or in gear loaded up (brakes on).

Dealer said that the high moly break-in oil prevented it, and maybe different oil would help. So I went and changed out to full synthetic Castrol 20-50, maybe a bit more quiet, but not much.

Put on 2200 miles in the past 10 days. Annoying knock at idle is disconcerting. I will be taking to the dealer as soon as I do more research. It's the ONLY thing I don't like about this bike, and don't feel I should have to live with a loud knock at idle.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
I just bought a 2014 DL1000A two weeks ago. After first service I noticed it knocking when warm. No knock until it warms up. Took it to dealer and they said it was the clutch basket. It goes away at approx 2000 RPM, or in gear loaded up (brakes on).

Dealer said that the high moly break-in oil prevented it, and maybe different oil would help. So I went and changed out to full synthetic Castrol 20-50, maybe a bit more quiet, but not much.

Put on 2200 miles in the past 10 days. Annoying knock at idle is disconcerting. I will be taking to the dealer as soon as I do more research. It's the ONLY thing I don't like about this bike, and don't feel I should have to live with a loud knock at idle.
There can be noises coming from a clutch basket, or at least they are easy to blame on a clutch basket as the noise changes when you pull in the clutch lever. Since your new Vee just had the first service, there is no way the clutch basket is making hardly any noise as there is no real wear in it yet. It is mainly transmission noises from the bearings, gears, and shafts spinning at idle. They slow down or stop when the clutch lever is pulled in. More of a mechanical metallic sound from the clutch basket and transmission.

There is a connection between first oil change and the idle hammer noise. I cannot say it has to do with the type of oil from the factory, but it seems too common that the noise is first heard after the first service. Yes, 20-50 oil softens the noise. If the "high moly" oil prevented it from the factory, you can bet someone has tried that kind of oil since then. I have heard no positive results about it.

It is a known character trait of these engines. I have been watching this for years and have NEVER heard of any mechanical failures or problems coming from it. I think the new generation Vee is quieter overall than the older ones and perhaps the noise is more obvious.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anyone with a 2015/2016 gotten it yet? I can't imagine any change was implemented but it seems every poster with it has a 2014 or Prior Gen. I am usually viewing Mobile version so don't see all Signatures with everyone's models..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone...

I had the same problem since the first oil change (actually since i starter to load more the engine)...
I took it to the local dealer again and they told me that can hear the noise but seems to them like a limited detonation knock without any caution to the engine.
Since then, within 6 months i did another 12.000 klm without any problem, traveling most of the klm in highway between 130 and 140m klm
Ride safe

·
Registered
86 Posts
i had a test ride on a 2015 dl1000 a while ago . the bike had just over 700mls on it , the bike was fine till it got warm then this knock came on [ but only at tickover other wise the bike was fine ] i was stuck in traffic next to a lorry but the knocking from the bike drowned out the lorry ,it was really loud . when i got back i said to the slalesman .."its knocking its head of at tickover listen" he said they all do that ..i said i,m sorry i couldnt live with that ..then i started to read about this "idle hammer" as they call it, and it appears that it comes on after the first oil change and some knock while others dont so its a bit of a lottery if you buy a new one as your not going to know if its going to knock or not till after its first service , unless you buy second hand low milage and check if it knocks . its also strange that the dl1000 "bike" magazine took from the uk to japan was delivered with just over 600mls on it ? . my local suzuki dealer said suzuki know about it and have stripped a knocking engine down and couldnt find a thing wrong with it , so it sounds like if you can put up with the knocking you,ll be fine ..

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
i had a test ride on a 2015 dl1000 a while ago . the bike had just over 700mls on it , the bike was fine till it got warm then this knock came on [ but only at tickover other wise the bike was fine ] i was stuck in traffic next to a lorry but the knocking from the bike drowned out the lorry ,it was really loud .
Not uncommon for a noise to seem louder when sitting beside a vehicle, wall, etc. It reflects the noise back to the rider.

·
Administrator
13,809 Posts
I don't hear it on my 2015 DL1000 and I have had two oil changes so far. Mind you, I don't sit and idle unless at a traffic light and then I almost always have it in gear. (No reason to ever sit and idle anyway.) I also wear ear plugs. Bike has about 11,700 miles on it.

My clutch is one that drags a bit.. I wonder if clutches that don't fully release are less likely to have the idle hammer?

..Tom

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I don't seem to have any noises anymore whatsoever on my 2015 V2. I had a slight knock around the 600-1000 mile mark but a loud tick even more so. Yesterday I really gave it a listen and this bike is almost quiet as my XT minus the sound of my Yoshimura. I guess the sounds subsided and I'm one of the lucky ones without idle hammer. I do only have 1500 miles on it though...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't hear it on my 2015 DL1000 and I have had two oil changes so far. Mind you, I don't sit and idle unless at a traffic light and then I almost always have it in gear. (No reason to ever sit and idle anyway.) I also wear ear plugs. Bike has about 11,700 miles on it.

My clutch is one that drags a bit.. I wonder if clutches that don't fully release are less likely to have the idle hammer?

..Tom
Mine is a knocker. Dragging the clutch makes it go away and smoothes the idle and take off from a stop. I just started noticing the knock recently. Idle hammer is a good name for it. It's a black eye on a beautiful motor. It's still beautiful if you don't focus too much on the black eye.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I noticed it at idle after the first service and it pissed me off, however after another 1600 miles I cant say its bothering me lately.
The dealer put a well known 5100 oil in at the service which is a semi synth.
I,ll be using an MA rated or the Diesel 20-50 semi synthetic also MA rated,or specific mc oil which contains LOTS of Zinc content which acts as a buffer for bearing and gear surfaces.
The V2 idle hammer was certainly noticeable compared to my previous 2 SV650 and recent SV1000.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts