StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a new VStrom but the dealer has a left over Super T also at a very competitive price. Having owned a VStrom in the past I am leaning in that direction but I am curious if any of you have experience with both machines and what your opinions are. I ride almost entirely on the street so off road ability isn't a major factor (most of my off road experience was non-intentional). I have been watching this forum and some of you guys have been very helpful already.
Thanks for any additional input you provide...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try some seat time on both, When I traded in my 09 KLR650 I looked at both for the 2012 models I loved the Super T but price to high for me the only reason I did get. So test ride them both either one will be a fun bike. It's how many smiles to the miles you get thats what important.

Pete

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would go for the Vee , I love my Vee the only way I would sell it would be to get the new 2014 DL 1000 Adventure Mdl .

·
Registered
93 Posts
The new Tenere is extensively updated. Dealer probably wants to blow out the previous model. Go with the new technology.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advice

All good advice, thanks guys.
I definitely intend on test riding the Super T as I have already Demo'd the Vee. I love how light and responsive the Vee felt with my only complaint being the wind/buffeting. This was a problem on my K6 when I had it but there are so many options out there to solve this that I am not worried about it.
Keep the opinions coming...the more the better...

·
Registered
449 Posts
For my style of riding I know for a fact that the Yamaha with the shaft drive would not be as flexible as the V2. I ride almost entirely back twisty roads with next to no highway riding and if that is why I bought the new V2. I am also fairly certain that I would not be as happy with the parallel twin as I am the V-twin. But depending on your writing style where you live in the types of roads would have a lot to do with it in my opinion. Both are nice bikes but are suited for different styles of riding.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bought an S10 new. LOVED it for long distance. Rode it 16000 miles one year with nary a burp. I sold it because I hurt my knees---AND IT WAS TOO HEAVY. If I was wanting a cruiser/Interstate bike. I'd go with the Yamaha

·
Registered
240 Posts
cruise control....

After having this on my bmw's it is a very nice on a long trip. The original info on the new vstrom 1000 mentioned that this would be on it...but....it never appeared. Probably a cost issue. I am sure that most vstrom riders would have paid an additional few hundred dollars for it. Or, will it be on the new "updated" 2015 model?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Only showroom floor testing for me! I sat on both, and the Vstrom 1000 definitely feels/appears to be a smaller bike - almost feels smaller than the 650 from my view at the controls! The S10 also has a similarly compact feel to it, but the sidepanels/radiator shrouds do make it seem a good bit bulkier, and it is noticeably more heavy feeling when sitting on the bike, moving it side to side.

I'm quite impressed with how 'small' they've been able to make the V2 seem, but it still has that very roomy feel that the predecessor had. Smoke n' mirrors, perhaps? But, I'm sure both bikes would exceed your expectation, and be fun regardless of the one chosen.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wow. What a fun decision.

S10=Shaft drive, bigger fairing, heavier
vs

V2 = Chain, lighter

No losers on this one.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Only showroom floor testing for me! I sat on both, and the Vstrom 1000 definitely feels/appears to be a smaller bike - almost feels smaller than the 650 from my view at the controls! The S10 also has a similarly compact feel to it, but the sidepanels/radiator shrouds do make it seem a good bit bulkier, and it is noticeably more heavy feeling when sitting on the bike, moving it side to side.

I'm quite impressed with how 'small' they've been able to make the V2 seem, but it still has that very roomy feel that the predecessor had...
^ I agree. :yesnod:

The Vee2 really seemed lightweight & compact to me (a good thing and I'm a big boy) though the showroom bike I sat on undoubtedly has no fuel in it. A S10 I'd sat on a year or so earlier had seemed much heavier and bulkier - it was also a showroom bike with likely no fuel. If I were going on a year-long bike trip and didn't want to worry about a chain maybe I'd choose the S-10, but not in all other instances, and maybe not in that instance. I really like the Vee2. Just gotta wait 'til the (lightly used) prices come down to the $7-8K range. Will probably be a couple years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
compact feeling VStrom

I see the general consensus is that the Vee is a smaller feeling bike. As I said I had a Demo ride on the Vee and was very impressed how light and nimble it felt. The Super T I only sat on in the showroom and it did feel a lot bulkier. I think the Vee looks better also for what that is worth.
Thanks again for the input...keep 'em coming...

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I always knew that I would be impressed by the new 1000, love the looks and features it offers, especially that nice V-twin motor :thumbup:

But the biggest surprise for me was just how small it is. It's no bigger than my 650 and actually felt better balanced & better weight distribution. :thumbup:

The new 1000 will be a much better back roads blaster, and will be a fine off road bike as well, despite what the armchair naysayers predict.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2014 DL1000A. Based on my experience and research it is the best bang for the money. I got mine for 10.4K brand new. I added several things like center stand, top trunk and bash plate. All these bikes have ups and downs. But, for the money and a few add ons my Vee2 will hand with the others for less bucks!

SL

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a 2014 DL1000A. Based on my experience and research it is the best bang for the money. I got mine for 10.4K brand new. I added several things like center stand, top trunk and bash plate. All these bikes have ups and downs. But, for the money and a few add ons my Vee2 will hand with the others for less bucks!

SL

I agree when the bike is sold the following year as a leftover. I don't agree with their msrp versus other bikes in that price range.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow. What a fun decision.

S10=Shaft drive, bigger fairing, heavier
vs

V2 = Chain, lighter

No losers on this one.
Really? Are those the only differences? I own both and it hurts me to tell you this but EVERYTHING is a higher quality on the S10. EVERYTHING! Now, that being said the 100lbs weight difference makes it a pleasure to ride the V2 in parking lots and pushing it around in a garage. But at speed the S10 is a much plusher ride. In the twisties a competent rider can get them both to do what he wants. Shaft drive is maintenance free but the chain is really very easy as well. Oh and you can find a S10 preowned for 11K.
I agree there are no losers with these 2 bikes but it really is comparing apples to oranges. I think a better comparison would be the Triumph 800 Roadie.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I really like your post (see above), however you can not compare a preowned bike with a new bike, ask any dealer. Also it's my opinion that the same competent rider would be quicker on the V2 because it is much more flickable with greater acceleration, although I have only ridden the S10 twice.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I really like your post (see above), however you can not compare a preowned bike with a new bike, ask any dealer. Also it's my opinion that the same competent rider would be quicker on the V2 because it is much more flickable with greater acceleration, although I have only ridden the S10 twice.
Check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/ridecaptains/videos/1038941039498942/
If the S10 is in Sport mode, it will beat the V2 every time. The engine is a beast. As far as preowned you are mostly correct although I would suggest a very low mileage bike from the right seller is generally a way better deal. There are leftover 2014-2015 S10 that are being sold for bargain prices.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts