StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the 2014 models are being produced ( if not in customers hands just yet ) and it is advertised as having an all new clutch I think we are possibly seeing the new basket as a standard replacement part in all 1000 V Stroms. Most of the new clutch components are obviously completely new, but the clutch basket looks like the old one, even has the same numbers on it. I think this video might have some insight to the new clutch basket?

WERKS 2014 model inspection - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Thanks for making the video! It certainly looks like Suzuki is aware of the issue but has left some market share for you. I'm surprised to see how much slop is still there. Why would they leave any???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I spoke with my dealer; 2 different part numbers. The previous basket is a 21200-06811 cost $340CDN. The 2014 basket is 21200-31Y10 cost $440CDN.

I should go to the dealer and look at the images.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Really stupid question: why would one measure the window openings with a telescoping gage instead of just using the ears on the caliper to measure them directly?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe he likes an excuse to use more of his fancy specialty tools? I know I am always looking for a reason to use some of mine!

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really stupid question: why would one measure the window openings with a telescoping gage instead of just using the ears on the caliper to measure them directly?
That would have worked fine! But, I am used to using the telescopic gauges all day long on the bearings. The real reason is the the telescopic is easier to get a true reading as the "old" basket has deformed areas from the springs being embedded into it. The gauges allow you to measure a clean, unblemished area.

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with my dealer; 2 different part numbers. The previous basket is a 21200-06811 cost $340CDN. The 2014 basket is 21200-31Y10 cost $440CDN.

I should go to the dealer and look at the images.
I ran the part number and it came up on an exploded view with part numbers. Not yet available. VERY interesting that is has this different part number! The one seen in the prototype bike certainly appear the same and have some of the same casting numbers. BUT....if they put different springs or any other small change they might have made will force a different part number. We'll just have to wait and see what the difference is. Not sure how there could be that much difference in cost? Thanks for posting that info!

·
Registered
240 Posts
It makes no sense...

It makes NO sense to me that Suzuki would not fix their clutch basket issue(s). With the first batch, back in 02 causing problems, they could not afford to make the same error. With the internet and all the blogs it would be..."the kiss of death."

·
Registered
168 Posts
It makes NO sense to me that Suzuki would not fix their clutch basket issue(s). With the first batch, back in 02 causing problems, they could not afford to make the same error. With the internet and all the blogs it would be..."the kiss of death."
They may have made some changes in quality after the part number changed between the 2005 and 2006 model years, even though the part number hasn't changed again until the new 2014 engine. Slipping in minor quality improvements while keeping the same part number, if that's what actually happened, may have merely been a way to field test an improved basket casting for the 2014 release during the 2012 model year while at the same time improving the future stock of replacement clutch baskets for those of us with 2002 - 2011 machines. It also avoided the hassle and expense of issuing updated parts fiche.

The only way that we'll know for sure is if someone obtains virgin clutch basket assemblies from representative model years, opens them up and goes through them with the eye of a forensic engineer... or if someone at Suzuki releases the ECN (engineering change notification) history of the part. Neither is likely to happen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ran the part number and it came up on an exploded view with part numbers. Not yet available. VERY interesting that is has this different part number! The one seen in the prototype bike certainly appear the same and have some of the same casting numbers. BUT....if they put different springs or any other small change they might have made will force a different part number. We'll just have to wait and see what the difference is. Not sure how there could be that much difference in cost? Thanks for posting that info!
Anytime!!!..I agree there is more to the issue - Suzuki claims there is increased inertia in the new engine,...would make sense they want to "tune-out" the resonance which is the contributor to the shudder. The springs and their clearance may well be part of the solution. The videos of the new bike/engine have Suzuki exclaiming several times they addressed vibration.

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slipping in minor quality improvements while keeping the same part number, if that's what actually happened, may have merely been a way to field test an improved basket casting for the 2014 release during the 2012 model year while at the same time improving the future stock of replacement clutch baskets for those of us with 2002 - 2011 machines. It also avoided the hassle and expense of issuing updated parts fiche.
Leroy, I couldn't agree more with you! :thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but this may be a good place for me to learn. The '14 clutch is a slipper clutch as opposed to the years prior. Wouldn't the whole assembly, to a degree, be different? The one werks analyzed was only slightly different.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The components that make a slipper vs conventional are typically between the inner hub and the clutch basket. The basket turns the clutch plates which are trying to turn the steel discs that are turning the hub ( which turns the transmission input shaft). The action of a slipper clutch allows either the plates and steels to unload slightly allowing them to slip ( like pulling in the clutch lever slightly ) or some use a type of overrun or ratchet type mechanism to allow interruption of of downshift torque. For instance, the SV 1000's had a version of a slipper clutch and their clutch baskets are almost identical to the DL 1000's. So, the new 2014 can have a modern slipper clutch design that still uses the original style clutch basket.

I hope this makes sense, I am writing without a really good knowledge of slipper clutch mechanisms. So I hope I explained it close to right.........

·
Registered
240 Posts
If honda...

If Honda made this clutch assembly everything would be perfectly smooth...and operate without a flaw. But, that is why Honda's cost more.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
My translation of their gibberish was that it was an assist using centripetal force to aid in the clutch locking up.*

This permits the use of weaker springs and reduces the strength needed at the lever.

Thus tapping into the vast limp wristed demographic

* Harley has had a good one for many years

·
Registered
498 Posts
SV slipper clutch

I installed the sv slipper in my 03' years ago hoping it would help with chudder it didn't, the basket design is flawed period. I tried sv baskets, new sv baskets and ended up modding my own baskets with mixed results. Terry and I shared many a conversation in the early days of basket mod development. I was quite disappointed to see what look like a old style basket in the 2014' model. Unless there's something magic in the new slipper system I can't see the basket design holding up to more torque and lower operating range. Lets hope the new part # is radically different than the old. If not, then Terry may have to hire on another shop guy!

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The mystery of the 2014 DL 1000 clutch basket is solved! I just got what may be the first of the replacement part clutch baskets from Suzuki. I made a video to show it off a bit. Here are the highlights: It is the same aluminum casting that has been used in the more recent clutch baskets. This casting is improved over the older ones. The steel gear, Belleville washers, inner plate are the same. I measured the damper springs and they measure exactly like the current DL 1000 springs, even the same colors. The only difference I can see so far is the top plate. It is like the SV 1000 top plates, maybe identical in dimension. It is colored differently and that usually means a difference in heat treatment for hardness. It does not seem to be as hard as the SV top plate. Still, I think it is a better design. I went ahead and done the full WERKS modifications to this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see Suzuki discontinue the previous clutch baskets and use this one as a replacement for all years DL 1000. The springs are the same so the "tune" should be also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjHKH6YHRU

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's supposed to be a slipper clutch. Are the changes for that outside the basket? I would think that would be the case but I know nothing about the way the task is accomplished.

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The "slipper clutch" action comes from the inner hub parts. They are all different in the new design. The clutch basket has nothing to do with being a slipper. The SV was advertised as having a slipper design and uses basically the same clutch basket.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The SV was advertised as having a slipper design and uses basically the same clutch basket.
I remember a few people writing they put SV slipper clutches in DL1000s.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts