StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Yup.......and we do not know everything about the bike yet. I doubt it will be that much anyways, and I think it will be a big seller for Suzuki, and make many of us 1000 owners very happy.

Yeah KTM wins allot of Dakar and other offroad races, "on road" reliability and longevity is a whole other thing. So when you getting the new KTM 1190 Adventure?
Probably in 2015
First of all it is not sold yet in the US
Then, given me 6'5'' height, I really must ride it and make sure if fits me
Not locked in at all on the next bike
Aprilia Caponord is very interesting
I don't like BMWs, and the Multistrada is too small for me. Tiger 800 is nice, rode it, didn't cut it for me. Their 1200 seems too heavy.
Also want to see the upcoming Yamaha Triple, I'm sure there will be an ADV 900 based on it. The super Tenere 1200 is nice but too heavy and under powered for 1200cc, plus I really find inline twin uninspiring

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Check this out: Tiger Sport 1050

"It is a British version of a Multistrada, but 3 grand cheaper"
Has ABS, no other electronics - simple stupid.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
That is a nice Tiger, and I love simple stupid!:yesnod:
I agree..:mrgreen:

Now let's see the problem here for Mr. Suzuki..:
This Tiger is quite reliable from what I read, the triple engine is being manufactured and refined for more than a decade by Triumph, and they race with the 675, for me a winning point, since the company is testing the triple design all the time.

The price in UK, targeted to compete with the Versys 1000 (per the video) is:
~9600 pound or ~11.5K Euro (or ~$13-14K, US prices tend to be lower)

With 125 BHP and super smooth engine (DL650 feels like a tractor compared to Tiger 800 from my own experience, and the Wee is considered relatively smooth!), very good suspension (fully adjustable), light weight and good road behavior, the new DL-1000 is facing tough competition even from the 1000cc segment.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Greener Pastures

IF they produce a truly upgraded K1000 it will be a hit

If it deserves good reviews and sells for 12,500 it should and will sell

The days of consumers accepting or working around serious quirks are over

If they paid attention for very little money and engineering they could correct flaws and produce a "developed"" K1000 Mark 3

They will NOT be successful if they just

""Put Lipstick on the pig""

·
Registered
639 Posts
Your conclusion is irrelevant to the discussion here
When one wants to move to a newer big ADV, DL 650 will not be the solution

KTM is Austrian, not Italian
these guys make top quality, reliable motorcycles that win races, Dakar in particular, year after year
Thanks for your input! I am humbled by your greatness and knowledge. However, I'd like to point out that living in Europe, I kind of know what is Italian and I did not say KTM was Italian,infact I never mentioned KTM in any negative light, so excuse me if you feel my input is irrelevant, same could be said for yours.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Greener Pastures

IF they produce a truly upgraded K1000 it will be a hit

If it deserves good reviews and sells for 12,500 it should and will sell

The days of consumers accepting or working around serious quirks are over

If they paid attention for very little money and engineering they could correct flaws and produce a "developed"" K1000 Mark 3

They will NOT be successful if they just

""Put Lipstick on the pig""
Really......Harley Davidsons and the GS keeps flying off the showroom floors, yet they still have serious quirks. The new 1000 looks to be pretty darn new from the ground up, even more so than the new 650. I agree that they had better have addressed the clutch chudder and lean issues, and I am betting that they have. Whole new swing arm, wheels, and frame so I am sure any chain alignment issues are GONE. This is not gonna be the same pig, and I am excited for it to debut.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Really......Harley Davidsons and the GS keeps flying off the showroom floors, yet they still have serious quirks. The new 1000 looks to be pretty darn new from the ground up, even more so than the new 650. I agree that they had better have addressed the clutch chudder and lean issues, and I am betting that they have. Whole new swing arm, wheels, and frame so I am sure any chain alignment issues are GONE. This is not gonna be the same pig, and I am excited for it to debut.
You're right about HD and BMWs.
They have become very well known trade marks, or to be less PC they are status icons. i.e. "I own a GS thus I'm successful in life"

I'm afraid the DL-1000 doesn't have this virtue.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am at risk of showing my age, but here goes anyway. I am a sucker when it comes to motorcycles and women. I like them all, period. But I have learned over the years to steer clear of the high maintenance models. They look awesome, but it always costs you in the end. That new KTM could be in my dreams for several nights. A new Italian Aprilia, WOW! They look so awesome and sexy. But to me, they miss the point. I prefer simplicity in function. I view all the computerization as an attempt to save us from ourselves. After all these years of experience, I don't need a bike that limits power when it rains, keeps my tires from spinning when the road gets slick, applies braking power both front and rear when I apply pressure to either brake lever, etc. I have a computer between my ears that tells me how to control all these functions, and all I have to do is exercise it and feed it. No trips to a dealer to have someone I don't know doing work to my bike at an exuberant price. And with all this computerization, you will have no choice, unless you want to spend a small fortune in specialty diagnostic equipment of your own. Working on my own bike is one of my favorite pastimes. It gives me a better understanding of my bike's functions, and the confidence the maintenance is done absolutely perfect. Doing my own work helps me bond with my ride.

I choose to subscribe to the KISS line of thought. Give me good brakes, good fore and aft suspension, and one hell of a motor, and I will take it from there. I certainly hope Suzuki keeps the new Vee simple. Address the short comings from the past, but keep it simple. Allow me to choose what I feel I need. I am a big boy, I don't need to be saved from myself. Let me be responsible for my own actions and decisions.

As an addendum, I find all this chatter about the new Vstrom ridiculous. I have yet to find one shred of evidence concerning what the bike will or will not have, or what has been fixed/modified. The bike we see is a concept, subject to change. We have only been given assurance some things have changed, but the degree of change has not been disclosed. Before we start heated debates. let's get some facts.

I will now turn my soapbox over to the next poster.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
@tiller4me

First, I understand where you coming from.

Many people didn't want fuel injection and ECU - You can't really maintain them on your own. Yet, over the years, people have learned to see the advantages - much better fuel consumption, smooth power, responsive bikes, the bikes start up very time, no need for manual chokes.

Many people still don't want ABS, (in the US mainly, in EU it is mandated and riders understand the importance) because it adds electronics, some weight, and price. But it is proven scientifically to lower your chances of having a crash due to a lockup.

And today people resist the new electronics solutions.

All these modes should be allowed to be turned off. If not it is just purely a bad design by the manufacturer. From what I read the KTM allows you to do so, easily.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Additional gizmos are probable additional failures with usually little benefit

Because of EPA and their ilk there is NO more simplicity . its all in the ECU and the other gimmicks once the throttle plate is really turned by the computer. Your throttle hand is just another input to the CPU

Oh I forgot to add ridiculous fuel filter cost.....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Additional gizmos are probable additional failures with usually little benefit

Because of EPA and their ilk there is NO more simplicity . its all in the ECU and the other gimmicks once the throttle plate is really turned by the computer. Your throttle hand is just another input to the CPU

Oh I forgot to add ridiculous fuel filter cost.....
OK. But how is TC (Traction Control) a gizmo?
With 100+ BHP the rear tire can easily have a power slide, in particular on a wet surface. As you wrote, it is another sensor to the ECU that signals "I'm sliding here, cut the power.."

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Department of redundancy department

You can't in North America buy a SIMPLE bike. If it does less and appears simple it is an illusion as a computer is really doing everything

If almost anything goes wrong with the electronics you are calling a flat bed,

I am not even sure they have limp home modes anymore

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Ha Ha.. fresh from yesterday.

"Harley-Davidson Eases the Faithful Into Liquid Cooling for 2014"
:green_lol: :green_lol:

Harley-Davidson Eases the Faithful Into Liquid Cooling for 2014 « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

Even the primitive HDs are now getting liquid cooling and linked ABS. :fineprint:

"The bikes featuring Project Rushmore enhancements offer more power (from either Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103, or air-cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 motors), a sophisticated, linked ABS brake system, an advanced Boom! Box infotainment system that incorporates voice control, for music, phone and GPS, as well as intercom and CD functions (including a 6-1/2 touch screen control feature), reduced head buffeting from a redesigned Batwing fairing, as well as various styling changes and other features."

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
M otorcyclist had more on the Veek

the beek looks bit off more shovel but could have just been the camera angle

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There was a REALLY good and relevant question asked several posts ago..."If the new DL1000 cost X amount would you buy it".

It'll depend on more info, the end product and reviews (and maybe a test ride) of course, but I was just drooling over an in-the-flesh Tiger 800 ABS (street version) for $10,950 or thereabouts, and it's a known quantity with sex appeal (to me) and the dual headlights I like, so no, I don't see myself paying much more than that for a Veek. And I DO plan on being in the market.

Even tho dammit I love the 'Strom and originally wanted a DL1000, would have got one back in '09 too if only it'd had ABS....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I got my issue of Motorcyclist yesterday (OCT 2013) and there is a lot of attention to the new DL1000.
I like to read Marc Cook's comments.
Here's what he writes about the DL1000 (Page 8 ), article is titled "THE ROAD AHEAD FOR SUZUKI":
"But I say go after the BMW R1200GS and the KTM 1190 Adventure in terms of performance. That TL1000 based engine defies time, and if can be made bigger to compete with the 150 HP Ducati Multistrada and KTM 1190 Adventure, I say do it"
"What I think the company really needs, is a thunderclap kind of motorcycle. Something to make us stand back and say - Whoa, how did this happen?"

Article ends with
"Take a chance, Suzuki. Do it".

This is exactly what I was referring to in my previous posts here.
Suzuki should have taken the big leap forward. Instead they took an existing formula and refined it.
It is just not enough.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I got my issue of Motorcyclist yesterday (OCT 2013) and there is a lot of attention to the new DL1000.
Here's what he writes about the DL1000 (Page 8 ), article is titled "THE ROAD AHEAD FOR SUZUKI":
"But I say go after the BMW R1200GS and the KTM 1190 Adventure in terms of performance. That TL1000 based engine defies time, and if can be made bigger to compete with the 150 HP Ducati Multistrada and KTM 1190 Adventure, I say do it"
"What I think the company really needs, is a thunderclap kind of motorcycle. Something to make us stand back and say - Whoa, how did this happen?"

Article ends with

Suzuki should have taken the big leap forward. Instead they took an existing formula and refined it.
It is just not enough.
It will sell just fine, then they can "re-define" it!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts

Article ends with

It is just not enough.
Agree........

21 - 40 of 64 Posts