StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Regular is all the octane needs. If you worry about keeping the engine clean, see Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
The guys that designed it,engineered it, built it and sold it wrote in the owners manual, Fuel = 87 Octane. Some call that regular. Be aware though, in my travels last month through parts of Wyoming and Montana, I saw regular labeled Octane = 85. You don't want to use that. At those stations, I went mid grade, 87 or 88. Book says 87, and mine runs great on it. Probably a better argument is non ethanol, you might get better mileage to make the cost difference easier to rationalize.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Regular is fine. I imagine you could run weasel whiz in it if you wanted. The problem is that weasel bladders are small so it takes a lot of weasels to fill the tank

·
Banned
255 Posts
I always use Shell V Power 98 octane where possible. I will go out of my way to get that fuel only.

If not I always use the highest octane at any of the major servo's. Never refuel at an independent station, only a known company such as Shell, BP, Caltex.

Higher octane just makes the bike feel so much better, and the additives in the premium fuel help to protect.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I always use Shell V Power 98 octane where possible. I will go out of my way to get that fuel only.

If not I always use the highest octane at any of the major servo's. Never refuel at an independent station, only a known company such as Shell, BP, Caltex.

Higher octane just makes ME feel so much better, and the additives in the premium fuel help to protect.
I fixed it for ya'......:yesnod:

·
Registered
22,256 Posts
The guys that designed it,engineered it, built it and sold it wrote in the owners manual, Fuel = 87 Octane. Some call that regular. Be aware though, in my travels last month through parts of Wyoming and Montana, I saw regular labeled Octane = 85. You don't want to use that. At those stations, I went mid grade, 87 or 88. Book says 87, and mine runs great on it. Probably a better argument is non ethanol, you might get better mileage to make the cost difference easier to rationalize.

87 is what you need for sea level riding, higher elevations in the mountain states, 85 is more than adequate cause the air is not as dense and you don't need as much anti knock additives to prevent pre-ignition

the sole purpose of octane(real octane has not been used in decades but is was the original compound that the index is based on) or other anti knock additives is to stabilize the fuel so that is ignites with the spark, and not hot metal prematurely

fwiw, ethanol has a higher anti-knock rating than gasoline

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The "octane" rating used to refer to what percentage of pure octane had the same resistance to knocking as the fuel under test. Octane (C8H18 ) is a normal component of petrol/gasoline, not an additive. Diesel fuel uses a similar rating system but based on centane (C10H22), a longer chain molecule that comes off the stack a little lower. Lighter factions rise higher with lighter molecules rising further than heavier ones, so methane (CH4) goes right to the top.
Ethanol from memory tests as over 100RON, meaning it resists knocking better than pure octane ... more or less. Modern systems are more precise but take more explining.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Regular inn my VEE

TRy to go to busy ones with the idea that maybe there is less water etx.
+1 on this, but i do hunt down puregas and use that where possible. she runs sooo much better on it.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
"higher elevations in the mountain states, 85 is more than adequate cause the air is not as dense"

good to know, I didn't think of that, if I'd been in a car, it may have made sense, I'd probably have used it, but somehow, I tend to treat my motorcycle motors differently, better, more careful, or whatever. Maybe many of us are guilty of that, next time I'm in that area, I may use the 85..... nah, no way, not in MY bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I've taken many trips through the Rockies. 85 is fine wherever it is sold.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
More energy is consumed in the refinery to produce higher octane gas so the cost is higher. 85 octane gas in the high elevation Rocky Mountain states dates back to the days of carbureted engines where it burned OK with the lower oxygen content of the air. Modern computer controlled engines run best with the specified grade of gas, but still run OK with lower octane. They'll have less power and maybe higher fuel consumption, but maybe also lower fuel cost per mile. Someone who lives in the Rockies and rides on repeatable trips could do a fuel cost comparison of 85 vs. 87 or 88 octane for us.

In the U. S. the detergent package is the same in all levels of gasoline for most (all?) brands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts