StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Summer is coming back around again and I'm planning some more rides. A few years ago I took my stock DL650 from southern California to Vancouver, Canada (and back). I quickly realized that the stock seat was not made for long rides and have continued to use it since. I'm usually riding up north through national parks and putting about 500 miles on in a day.

This year I'm planning on hitting up a few trips that are a few thousand round trip and was wondering if anyone has and recommendations on some comfortable seats. I must admit that I'm getting tired of constantly sliding forward on my stock seat.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all,

Summer is coming back around again and I'm planning some more rides. A few years ago I took my stock DL650 from southern California to Vancouver, Canada (and back). I quickly realized that the stock seat was not made for long rides and have continued to use it since. I'm usually riding up north through national parks and putting about 500 miles on in a day.

This year I'm planning on hitting up a few trips that are a few thousand round trip and was wondering if anyone has and recommendations on some comfortable seats. I must admit that I'm getting tired of constantly sliding forward on my stock seat.

Thanks,

Joe

A bit pricey but worth the investment, I got one, and it’s first class seating.

Russel Day-Long Sólo half moon,

Take a look
https://day-long.com/gallery/suzuki/

CcsCourierMiami

·
Registered
365 Posts
Seat Concepts is the way I went with my seat. I got the firm foam option, since I'm a bigger heavier guy. Made the bike much more tolerable on 12-14 hour days, and certainly solved the sliding forward issue. Not saying I don't get monkey butt after 14 hours, but at least I'm not dieing.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
You will see several different "brands" written about before this thread winds down.

Some people can ride a board all day and swear it is ok. If you are NOT one of those, there is still a lot of seats to choose from and many are not really all that much better than stock.

You can buy a Sargent or Corbin that is a direct fit. Keep your old seat. You can get kits that you install on your stock seat. Don't consider pads or cushions, they are a band aid that falls way short for serious touring.

There are several seat "makers" that will take your stock seat and completely reform it and make a new cover. This means sending in your seat and being without it for several weeks on average.

Most owners that swear by new in box seats and especially kit seats don't ride high mile days. I mean 600+ mile days and doing that for more than one day. See, there is the difference. If your butt is sore at the end of the day, but you survived, then by 2 hours into the ride tomorrow you will be in agony.

Go to ANY Iron Butt Rally and look at the seats these owners have equipped their machines with. The vast majority will be Russell Day-Long seats. Custom seats that simply have no equal in long distance, long hour riding. You can get these done for about $400 for a Strom.

I used to spend a fortune trying different seats and pads. Now I simply spend the money up front for each bike and get a Russell seat. I will say that I have wondered if the Terry Adcox seats might be a very good alternative if a cheaper cost is the only thing you can do at the time.

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking at a few options from the foam/gel pads to bead-riders. I think my biggest concern is I'm 6'5'' 250lbs. I'd like to just spend the cash and get something that's going to be comfortable right off the bat if not within a few thousand by the sound of it. I may still buy a bead-rider just to see how it works out.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Russell day-long seats.

joe

·
Registered
425 Posts
Second the Seat Concept suggestion. Totally happy with mine. And I actually enjoyed installing it with a cheap harbor freight staple gun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought a Russell Day Long and have never again even thought about comfort. It will probably mean that I will ride a lot more, be happy with my bike and keep it for a very long time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been looking at a few options from the foam/gel pads to bead-riders. I think my biggest concern is I'm 6'5'' 250lbs. I'd like to just spend the cash and get something that's going to be comfortable right off the bat if not within a few thousand by the sound of it. I may still buy a bead-rider just to see how it works out.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Russell day-long seats.

joe
Seat Concepts has a tall option that you'd be a good candidate for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought a Seat Concepts kit last year and was quite disappointed - it didn't make all that much difference. I then bought a Luimoto Gold gel pad and had it professionally installed in the Seat Concepts foam. Again, very marginal gains for the price I paid. Due to the crappy exchange rate, duties and installation costs I'm into the stock seat pan for over $600.00 :surprise: I use an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad on top of it all now and I can usually get about 1.5 hours of riding in before I have to either stand up or get off.
On June 1st I have a ride-in appointment with Russel Day-Long. I'm counting on the ride back to Vancouver BC being far more pleasant than the trip down. if it isn't... I might have to start thinking about a different bike.

Dave

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
I bought a Seat Concepts kit last year and was quite disappointed - it didn't make all that much difference. I then bought a Luimoto Gold gel pad and had it professionally installed in the Seat Concepts foam. Again, very marginal gains for the price I paid. Due to the crappy exchange rate, duties and installation costs I'm into the stock seat pan for over $600.00 :surprise: I use an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad on top of it all now and I can usually get about 1.5 hours of riding in before I have to either stand up or get off.
On June 1st I have a ride-in appointment with Russel Day-Long. I'm counting on the ride back to Vancouver BC being far more pleasant than the trip down. if it isn't... I might have to start thinking about a different bike.

Dave
I hear stories like yours on other forums.

Your problems will be solved at Russell. You will confirm this on the ride home.

This is why I say a Russell Day Long seat is NOT expensive. You will get more use, enjoyment, and satisfaction out of the bike with a quality seat. Pay once and done. Or keep trying other miracle approaches.........

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Seat Concepts on my 2013 and am quite happy. I would have gotten the tall seat option if it had been available when I got mine. I found it perfectly comfortable on 8 to 10 hour days and even one 18+ hour day and I wasn't sore the next day. It was comfortable for a 7 weeks of a trip from Oshawa, ON across the upper US, up into the BC interior, into the Yukon, across to Alaska, back through the Yukon, down in Alberta across Sask, into North Dakota, into Manitoba and back to Oshawa through Ontario. Mind you the YMMV still applies.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I bought a Seat Concepts kit last year and was quite disappointed - it didn't make all that much difference.
I had a K7 Wee and the stock seat was brutal, sliding into the tank and hard on my lower back. I upgraded to the Seat Concept seat and it was really comfortable but moved me far enough back that I needed bar risers to get my butt in the seat pocket. I never got around to installing bar risers before I bought an L4 Wee with a stock seat. The stock seat on the gen2 Wee felt very similar to Seat Concepts seat on the gen1 Wee so I can see how its not really much of a change on the gen2 but a dramatic change/improvement on the gen1.

The stock setup is fine for me now, at least tolerable, but on longer rides (~2hrs) I start to have issues but I think it has to do with being cramped so I will probably add a peg-lowering kit and see if that helps. If I go with a Seat Concepts seat it would be to get the tall seat if the peg kit doesn't give me enough room otherwise I will stay with the stock seat but I don't do day-long rides.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sargent
Corbin
Russell
Seat Concepts
Terry Adcox

To name a few. I used the stock seat up to an hour, in torturous discomfort. A Sargent seat replaced the stock cinder block and doubled my ride limit (more knees than seat at two hrs.) The two most popular choices are Corbin and Russell by a long, long measure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another vote for the Seat Concepts. I installed it this spring and am very happy (after ~2500 km) so far. It's affordable, looks good, and most of all, it works. I'm planning a 17,000 km cross-continent trip this fall and I'm confident that the SC will make it bearable for my posterior. Perhaps a Russell or Adcox would be even better, but I'm satisfied with this set up. Also, the SC is doesn't look quite as much like a tractor seat as some of the more expensive seats, so that's a consideration as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rich's Custom Upholstery in Seattle is the king of custom seats. Rich will have you bring your bike in and measure and build a custom seat that fits your butt. Rich has been building custom seats since the mid 70's.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sargent
Corbin
Russell
Seat Concepts
Terry Adcox

To name a few. I used the stock seat up to an hour, in torturous discomfort. A Sargent seat replaced the stock cinder block and doubled my ride limit (more knees than seat at two hrs.) The two most popular choices are Corbin and Russell by a long, long measure.
If I'm recalling correctly, the Sergeant and Corbin are both actually a bit lower than the stock seat, and the OP is 6'4".

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wouldn't know about the Corbin. Sargent seats are less than a quarter inch lower than stock. Height doesn't mean much, inseam does. I'm 6'1 with 33" inseam and the Sargent with lower pegs is a lovely fit.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts

Dave

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
DIY Seat Modification

Remove seat cover, add/remove/reshape foam, replace old cover (or make new one if extensive work was done). Works a treat, I've done this several times, each time with a great result.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts