StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a preowned VStrom 650. I have a couple of options I'm considering.
The first is a 2013 base model abs with 1,600 miles and a bunch of add ons...seat, heated grips, muffler, alarm, auto start, soft panniers, air horn, fork brace and a few other things. No crash bars, hand guards, skid plate. (The auto start and alarm are things I really don't need along with a couple of the other add ons).

The second is a 2014 adventure model abs with 6,000 miles and just the stock panniers and crash bars. I don't think there are any other extras on the bike.
Both are just about the same price ($250 apart). Right around $5000.

Anyone have any thoughts on which would be the better purchase?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Which soft luggage?

IMHO need to price all options you want on bike and then​ compare both. Sort of I want XYZ on my bike, what is the bottom line?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a Corbin on the 2013. The book value difference is pretty significant but that's bare without the extras.
2013 - $5,400
2014 - $6,700

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's probably $700-800 in options on the 2013 but most are not needed. There are really only a couple of things I want and both bikes have one or two but neither has everything. I'd prefer hard luggage and I like the engine guard on the adv model but I like the heated grips and cruise control on the 2013.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There's probably $700-800 in options on the 2013 but most are not needed. There are really only a couple of things I want and both bikes have one or two but neither has everything. I'd prefer hard luggage and I like the engine guard on the adv model but I like the heated grips and cruise control on the 2013.
Heated grips are <$60 for set, plus DYI installation. Cruise control? Personally I prefer simple throttle rocker as I mostly ride twisties, and IMHO you don't want your speed/throttle locked there. Would be nice on open freeway, but unfortunately we have too many cars around, so I could use it maybe a few hours a year on longer trips. $6 throttle rocker works fine as it allows control throttle with open palm.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To me a good seat makes a big difference but not sure about the Corbin. I just did a 12,500 km trip on a Corbin on a DR650. Only time I got a sore butt was on a couple excessively hot days.

Not a big difference with the bikes. I would follow your gut feeling.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's true that maybe you don't think you'll need some of the options on the '13,but once you've had them and use them you may find they are really nice to have. Also, if it does come that you don't need some of the items, you could remove them and sell them to offset the cost of hard bags. It sounds like lots more than 700-800 in options. Corbin seat is at least 400, an exhaust sytem is prob 700 or more. Air horn an easy 100, fork brace 75, heated grips 75, no telling about alarm and auto start but prob at least 200, soft bags etc. Not sure why anyone would put auto start on a bike but to each their own. Both bikes sound like a good deal and if I were dead set on wanting the hard bags(I love my stock panniers) then I'd get that one to save the time and money to add them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
2014 adventure all day....I have a 15 and spent the extra money for the top case ($375 aprox) and the bike is complete. You probably don't want half the add-ons on the 13 and they are all short dollars one at a time...the hard luggage is a big hit $$$ all at once.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here she is! I'm pretty happy with my decision. The only thing I noticed is that the front of the seat by the gas tank seems somewhat loose. Almost like it's not hooked in properly. I can actually lift up a little on the front and move it a bit from side to side. I've checked and re-checked and it appears to be seated and hooked correctly. Anyone else have the stock gel seat that comes with the 2014 adventure model? I actually love the seat. It's very comfortable (don't need my gel pad anymore). It just seems strange that it's that loose. The back part seems to be fitting properly and is nice and tight. No movement at all at the back. I appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might check the rubber bumpers on the seat pan that rest on the bike frame when the seat is on the bike. I have seen as advice on making a seat lower for shorter legged riders, that some guys shave some ribber off the bumpers. Might cause the loose feel you get. Otherwise, it really doesn't affect anything except bothering you a little if the seat seems secure when mounted on the bike.

Nice bike by the way. As for the cruise control, don't use it if you don't like it in traffic, just on open highway. Go ahead with the clip on type easy engage disengage for other conditions. Lots of people spend a lot of $ installing those electronics. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Here she is! I'm pretty happy with my decision. The only thing I noticed is that the front of the seat by the gas tank seems somewhat loose. Almost like it's not hooked in properly. I can actually lift up a little on the front and move it a bit from side to side. I've checked and re-checked and it appears to be seated and hooked correctly. Anyone else have the stock gel seat that comes with the 2014 adventure model? I actually love the seat. It's very comfortable (don't need my gel pad anymore). It just seems strange that it's that loose. The back part seems to be fitting properly and is nice and tight. No movement at all at the back. I appreciate any feedback.
My 2015 ADV seat was like that from day one. Didn't seem to affect anything when you riding, and after fitting Sit&Fly cover (highly recommend) this isn't an issue good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My 2015 ADV seat was like that from day one. Didn't seem to affect anything when you riding, and after fitting Sit&Fly cover (highly recommend) this isn't an issue good luck.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know mine isn't the only one like that. I haven't really noticed anything while riding but it does bug me a little when I'm off the bike. I guess it's just a bit of my OCD kicking in. 😏 Does the sit&fly cover really do anything? Is it padded? I actually think the stock gel seat is pretty comfortable although I have only been out for short rides so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might check the rubber bumpers on the seat pan that rest on the bike frame when the seat is on the bike. I have seen as advice on making a seat lower for shorter legged riders, that some guys shave some ribber off the bumpers. Might cause the loose feel you get. Otherwise, it really doesn't affect anything except bothering you a little if the seat seems secure when mounted on the bike.

Nice bike by the way. As for the cruise control, don't use it if you don't like it in traffic, just on open highway. Go ahead with the clip on type easy engage disengage for other conditions. Lots of people spend a lot of $ installing those electronics. Just my opinion of course.
I went ahead and checked the rubber bumpers and everything inside the seat and all appears normal. Nothing appears to have been tampered with. Even the seat on my old 2004 V Strom doesn't move around like that so it just seems not right. (Excuse my poor grammar). I'm planning to add a few essentials but probably will wait on the throttle lock for now. Just ordered a givi tank lock tank bag to replace my magnetic one. Not enough metal on the tank to keep it secure. I'm curious to see how the tank lock bag is. Also ordered hand guards, over the dash gps mount and 12v/USB power outlets. Even just those items are starting to add up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Does the sit&fly cover really do anything? Is it padded? I actually think the stock gel seat is pretty comfortable although I have only been out for short rides so far.
Search we had an extensive discussion on this, sheepskin and other seat comfort helpers.

S&F is 3D airmesh ~1/2" thick and it helps with long distance comfort. And unlike sheepskin it isn't afraid of getting wet. They are ~$10 on fleeBay, shipped by "jesuslovesyou" from Vietnam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts