StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Someone may have mentioned this before but what is the rpm of the new 2012 at a true 70 mph. Thanks.
It is unchanged from previous years. Gearing commander says 5600rpm is an indicated 75.5mph which is actually 70mph.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Beyond the position of the oil cooler, is there any other significant change between the engines of 650 2012 from the previous years?
Is there any power / torque increase between the two engines?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Which brings up a good question, is the digital speedo also ~8% optimistic, and of so how can it be corrected since you can't just throw a corrected gauge face from raceratb at it?

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
It is unchanged from previous years. Gearing commander says 5600rpm is an indicated 75.5mph which is actually 70mph.
It's in stone.
Now I can finaly quit pointing out gearing commander has the same error as our speedometer.

.. I even copied and saved it in case this post/thread gets deleted.

·
38,048 Posts
I hadn't seen anything about the Gearing Commander figures before that I remember. The first thing I noticed were its figures were based on the stock instruments.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I hadn't seen anything about the Gearing Commander figures before that I remember. The first thing I noticed were its figures were based on the stock instruments.
I've made numerous unacknowleged posts about it over the years, pretty much anytime gearing commander was mentioned.

You are the only other one that's mentioned it .... and only just now that I know of.

·
38,048 Posts
I may very well never mentioned it before. It doesn't seem very important.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I may very well never mentioned it before. It doesn't seem very important.
Gearing commander is supposedly speed vs rpm based on all gearing between the engine and rear tire, including tire diameters. This supposedly should give you accurate figures. Somehow they've managed to get it wrong. Are you not curious where the error is?

but I suppose it's not important, if you don't mind their results being 8% off.

·
38,048 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious the results were noted using the bike instruments.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Just a note.
If you want fairly accurate results from Gearing Commander, change the tire circumference from 79.38 to 73.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Which brings up a good question, is the digital speedo also ~8% optimistic, and of so how can it be corrected since you can't just throw a corrected gauge face from raceratb at it?

Yes, just as optimistic. My 2012 was clocked on the way home from being purchased as approx. 8% higher.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just a note.
If you want fairly accurate results from Gearing Commander, change the tire circumference from 79.38 to 73.
Agree with Ozart so long as clearance is OK and tire size available. Check the miati tire calculator:
Tire size calculator
My wife's truck was 5% optimistic and we had the clearance to increase circumferance on replacement tires by 5% to counter this.

...oh sorry I guess the calculator does not adjust to the right size for our bike tires, but you get the idea

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Agree with Ozart so long as clearance is OK and tire size available.
Thanks, but one of us might be misunderstanding the other.

I was refering to this online calculator, called Gearing Commander.

The trouble is, it's inaccurate to the same extent our speedometers are.

What I meant in my previous post was to change the tire circumference value in the calculator, not physically on our bike, to get accurate speed values from it (the calculator).

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks, but one of us might be misunderstanding the other.

I was refering to this online calculator, called Gearing Commander.

The trouble is, it's inaccurate to the same extent our speedometers are.

What I meant in my previous post was to change the tire circumference value in the calculator, not physically on our bike, to get accurate speed values from it (the calculator).
got you ..thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts