StromTrooper banner

2012 Wee Rear Preload Question

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
Just got a new Wee Adventure and loving it!
According to the operator manual, the rear preload is set by the knob sticking out on the right. The problem is that mine won't turn more than 1/2 turn.

When I turn it to the right I dont feel anything. When I turn it to the left, I feel two detents. Is this normal?

See less See more
#2 ·
It's something like 30 clicks stop to stop. Mine was stiff at first and I had to put some muscle into it. I like turning it regularly as it likes to freeze up.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I just went out and counted clicks. It was 37 clicks stop to stop but the first 4 or 5 felt like they didn't engage the spring.

#7 ·
The manual's description isn't very accurate, is it? It says that the preload is softened or stiffened (not that the suspension is softened or stiffened) when it probably should say that the preload raises or lowers the bike on the suspension to suit the loaded riding weight to minimize bottoming out or topping out.

#8 ·
This must sound stupid ......... but I can't see where to look for the little 0 -5 scale. Should I be looking from the same side as the knob?
In mitigation, I have come from a Bonnie where such things were less hidden.:confused: And those line drawings ........... :headbang:

#9 ·
The five lines are at the top of the spring. They are easier to see from the side opposite the adjuster. Of course the preload has to be at maximum to see them all. The drawing in post #1 shows them well.

#10 ·
That's brilliant. Thanks.
Only been biking a couple of years (since retiring) and determined to get my head around it. An uphill haul 'cos I have no mechanical ability at all, but not enough money to run off to a dealer at every turn.
This place is the best for an old geezer like me.

#11 ·
I had popped the handle off the preload for a gander at the workings and had one of the balls roll away. That was a few weeks ago. I just found it again today while airing up the tire. It was safely hidden on the floor of the garage. It's back in place now.
Golly, I was so worried too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.