StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just looking for some opinions. I currently ride a 2007 DRZ400S. I am looking to keep my DRZ for my more offroad riding and get something that is better on the street and for longer rides. As I am more used to the sitting up riding position I think the VStrom is the right bike for me. When I started looking at them new I thought I wanted the DL1000 as I am a bigger guy(6' 260lbs) and won't be doing much if any offroad riding on it. Then I saw all the revisions to the wee this year and it made my choice more difficult. I have never had a sport bike so I'm not sure how much the power will matter to me. What do people think for street only mostly(some mountain roads that are paved but not well) Would you choose the 2012 Vee or Wee?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The advantage to the Vee is all about power. If being faster than 99% of cars on the road is not good enough, you don't want to need to shift to a lower gear when power is needed or being on a lower power motorcycle than average is an assault on your manhood, you need a Vee. Otherwise, the Wee is a more refined package. It doesn't have issues like lean stutter, clutch chudder, rear hub mysticism and poor fuel economy. The Wee is a much bigger seller.

That won't matter if you find you want more power though. If you aren't sure how important power will be to you, you need to do what it takes to figure that out. I'll say this though, if power was so important to me that a Wee couldn't cut it, I'd look at something besides a V-Strom. The 2012 Vee has been virtually unchanged for at least 5 years.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been lucky and my Vee runs well, after I installed the Power Commander. I do very little town and traffic riding and I would'nt trade the bike for the world. I couldn't imaging cruising at 65mphs all day at 7000 rpms like the wee does. On the other hand, I know if I was tooling around town all the time, the Wee would be my choice. I also get pretty good gas mileage, I think the bikes that get poor mileage are mapped wrong.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
6000rpm is an indicated 82mph and real 75mph. I told you a million times, don't exaggerate. At that speed, the Vee and Wee fuel economies come closer.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The advantage to the Vee is all about power. If being faster than 99% of cars on the road is not good enough, you don't want to need to shift to a lower gear when power is needed or being on a lower power motorcycle than average is an assault on your manhood, you need a Vee. Otherwise, the Wee is a more refined package. It doesn't have issues like lean stutter, clutch chudder, rear hub mysticism and poor fuel economy. The Wee is a much bigger seller.

That won't matter if you find you want more power though. If you aren't sure how important power will be to you, you need to do what it takes to figure that out. I'll say this though, if power was so important to me that a Wee couldn't cut it, I'd look at something besides a V-Strom. The 2012 Vee has been virtually unchanged for at least 5 years.
That is about the best and most unbiased response to this most asked question yet. I have a VEE. My clutch is a little noisy but fine at 70,000 miles. I had my bike remapped and no stutter. The rear hub issue is a new one to me as mine is fine and the chain runs true. I get 180 miles between fill ups...a wee will do 250 if that matters to you.

But, I am a 250 pound, 50 year old man with a 10 year olds ego, and a true knuckle dragger.....I wanted the power. The bike frames are identical. The VEE has some better suspension parts but the wee can be ordered with ABS.

You will not shake a wee off your tailight with a vee until the road straightens out.

Either bike is a huge value for the money. The 650 may be an even better deal since the bigger bike comes at a higher price. The new wee is a nice upgrade in style...but its just two different versions of kinda funky to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Vee

Period.

excellent machine over hyped issues gas it, ride it, enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Hello just looking for some opinions. I currently ride a 2007 DRZ400S. I am looking to keep my DRZ for my more offroad riding and get something that is better on the street and for longer rides. As I am more used to the sitting up riding position I think the VStrom is the right bike for me. When I started looking at them new I thought I wanted the DL1000 as I am a bigger guy(6' 260lbs) and won't be doing much if any offroad riding on it. Then I saw all the revisions to the wee this year and it made my choice more difficult. I have never had a sport bike so I'm not sure how much the power will matter to me. What do people think for street only mostly(some mountain roads that are paved but not well) Would you choose the 2012 Vee or Wee?
I've owned both a Vstrom 1000 and a Wee Strom. I truely REGRET giving up the WeeStrom. I know own a 1000 and like the others on this sight have stated, it does have power (unless you are traveling over 70MPH, don't shift to 6th (overdrive) gear. The 1000 will do all of the freeway traveling you'll ever want to do. However, IMHO, the Wee is the most manueverable and driveable machine I have ever owned. For my money the Wee is the BEST. As a matter of fact, my wife has given me the green flag to buy the new Wee "Adventure" bike. A tough decision, but I'll be trading (or selling) the DL1000 to help pay for the Wee Adventure.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Go with the Wee

I'd go with the Wee. Having owned both (2006 Wee and a 2006 Vstrom 1000) I have decided ot buy the new Wee Adventurer.
My wife gave me the "OK :thumbup:" to buy the new Wee, in September. However, I have to trade-in or sell my Vee 1000 in order to buy it. I have no problem with separating from the DL1000, as i enjoyed my DL650 sooooo... much. The Vee is more suited for highway riding the Wee is best suited for trails, backroads and around the city.
Give me a Wee for my next bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't laugh

I saw the DL1000 at my dealer, Dreyer Suz. The 2012 red really got me. I asked a friend who rides and owns two Wee's his opinion and he siad get the 650, it's smoother. I respect this guy tremendously, he rides all year long, zillions of miles every year. Well I made the mistake of asking the salesman to start the 1000, boy it sounded good !!! So in spite of Steve's advise I bought the 1000. I have 400 miles on it and so far really like it. It does sing the EPA lean blues a little but I try to keep the engine where it's happy (rpm's). :thumbup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I saw the DL1000 at my dealer, Dreyer Suz. The 2012 red really got me. I asked a friend who rides and owns two Wee's his opinion and he siad get the 650, it's smoother. I respect this guy tremendously, he rides all year long, zillions of miles every year. Well I made the mistake of asking the salesman to start the 1000, boy it sounded good !!! So in spite of Steve's advise I bought the 1000. I have 400 miles on it and so far really like it. It does sing the EPA lean blues a little but I try to keep the engine where it's happy (rpm's). :thumbup:
Congrats!!! Either bike would serve you well. The lean blues are pretty simple to remedy....just takes some bucks to do. I went for a ride on my Vee this evening....Wow...this thing is smooth after stage 1 upgrades including a PC-V and the GIPRO/aTRE. I did the stage 1 mainly for smoothing things out...I really disliked the surging/ bucking in that lean zone. Now if my tinkering would rub off on my neighbor..he has a couple of H/D's with straight pipes...neither one idles worth a crap. How anyone can love an ill running bike...I'll never know...maybe they just need their hand to constantly work the throttle...out of sheer boredom.

I'm thinking the 2012+ Wee is going to be a real hit. That Gladius motor is very smooth and powerful...It also responds well to some tweaking...but in stock form is pretty nice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm a brand new wee owner. But i have owned a few bikes of very different styles. Really, to me, a bike is a bike. I completely understand that if youre doing mostly highway miles, a bigger engine that cruises at lower rpm would be better. But ultimately, i dont even consider weight of the rider when looking at bikes. An extra 50 or even 100 pounds than average doesnt make a difference on prettynmuch any bike.

Look more At how youre going to use the bike. For me, i went with the wee cause theres overwhelming positive reviews and it is always touted as such a great all around bike. For my commuting, weekend riding, and wanting to getninto some fire roads type of riding, the wee seemed to make more sense. Long distance touiring, i could see a much better argument for the more powerful bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm another one that went from a Wee to a Vee and then back to Wee, and then throw in a couple more wee's just so I could keep changing colors. :green_lol: I'm on Vstrom #5 with well over 100k between the 5 of them.

My preference overall is that the refineness and smoothness of the 650 just wins me over. I'm not a small guy either at 6'4", 240lbs and I'm very happy with how the wee treats me. Coming from a DRZ, you are certainly going to appreciate either bike for cruising and riding.

Both bikes certainly knock out the long distances and neither has trouble cruising at 80mph, although the 1000 has the edge there just because its geared so much higher. On the other hand, I think that hurts the 1000 around town where the wee definitely shines. Both bikes can definitely be re-geared and people generally drop to at least a 16t on the 1000 to liven it up around town and some even go up a few teeth in the rear. On the Wee, going from the 15t to a 16t front makes interstate cruising quite a bit nicer without sacrificing in town and if you aren't taking it off road, it really works well.

With the redesign of the wee, I can definitely see where its a tougher decision too since they did a nice job on the new look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive got thr 12 wee, great power very good on gas, and just keeps me smiling. for those who want some one else to decide for them Get the new wee. OR just get your butt on one for yourself and youll be sold!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
407 Posts
6000rpm is an indicated 82mph and real 75mph. I told you a million times, don't exaggerate. At that speed, the Vee and Wee fuel economies come closer.
I second that.

Especially the 2012. The older Wees would be a little bit higher in RPMs at highway speeds and (at least mine) tended to have a lot more vibration in the handlebars.

My 2012, however, feels great at highway speeds. Very sturdy, quiet, and little vibration. And the 50-60MPG is great too!

Btw, what you get also depends on the type of riding you want to do. The 1000 isn't going to be as suited for off-road because of the extra weight. I know there are a lot of people who drive their 100 off-road, but the fact remains that a lighter bike is better for off-road (and the gleestrom is tons o' fun on the dirt). The 650 is already pretty heavy for a dirt-bike, which is fine because you'll want some of that girth when on the open highway passing a Semi.

In any case, you asked this question back in like february, so likely, you've already made your decision lol. Just thought I'd throw out more info in case anyone else was looking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think you made the right decisions going with the Vee 1000. I also have a Vee 1000 and a kawasaki KLR650. If I did not have the KLR I would have went with the wee but since I already have a lighter weight 650 for the trails and rougher roads I wanted something bigger and nicer for those long paved rides still capable of leaving the pavement and something more comfy two up for the rare occasion my wife rides with me (she also rides a KLR650). I have not regretted the decision one time.

Like I said, If i did not have the KLR i would want the wee. If you sold the DRZ you may wish you had the Wee. I have considered selling both my bikes for a new wee but I like them both, they are both paid for, and both are set up for me with the farkles I want so I will just keep what I have. If I traded them for a wee I would compare it to the KLR off road and be unhappy then I would compare it the the Vee on the road again leaving me unhappy.

Now my wife wants a Wee (Vee is to tall and heavy for her comfort). Considered selling one KLR and getting one but which KLR to sell :confused: I say hers and she says mine :argue: Cant afford 4 bikes.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
After 2 Vee now Wee and happier then before. Myself? I would go for 2012 650, but - whatever makes you happy is good for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts