StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
"No buffeting at all with the Touring Screen option"

That's 'cause it's an MRA Vario design, which is an awesome screen.

Say goodbye to Madstad threads. ;)

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Why does this guy keep going on and on about how the suspension is better?
Everything I read says it's unchanged.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
There is more shock travel and the springs are stiffer all around at least.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Why does this guy keep going on and on about how the suspension is better?
Everything I read says it's unchanged.
Most mainstream motojournalists like this year's model, of whatever, better than last year's. It's called job security.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
no mention of smaller fuel tank, lost horsepower, lower red line or, additional 50lbs.weight. oh well, stuff happens. i still like it better than 2011 model.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
?? smaller fuel tank may be offset by the stated increase in miles per gallon and, I'm confident this bike's full tank will carry me further than my 07 DL1000 did, on it's 5.8 gallon tank.

lost HP, lower redline? really? How much time do most of us spend at 11,000 rpm ? Reports by those who have ridden both favor the 2012 by seat of the pants dyno. Our old 08 650 seemed adequate for a single rider, I would guess the new one will be no less capable.

50 lbs heavier? looks more like it's 13 lbs lighter, mostly that half gallon of gas, I would guess...

it is a new look though, good or bad, that's what they'll be selling from now on.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
This, the full article from the youtube video talks about the improved suspension, engine refinements, better fairing and windscreen design, etc.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Review: First Ride [Video] - Motorcycle.com

clearly an evolutionary change addressing many of the earlier version's shortcommings, and a superior bike all 'round.

hey, just kidding, if my Vee weren't totaled, I'd be gearing up right now for a fast ride around the valley, I enjoyed every minute on that bike. When we sold the yellow 650, I almost kept it, and sold the Vee.

·
Registered
600 Posts
no mention of smaller fuel tank, lost horsepower, lower red line or, additional 50lbs.weight. oh well, stuff happens. i still like it better than 2011 model.
I think the 2012 model has about 3 more hp and is lighter, back to the original 2004 weight or close to it. Apparently there is a little more grunt down low as well. The reviewers seem to think it makes a difference. The suspension changes are somewhat of a mystery at this point. I will be curious to see if the front end still needs to be dropped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts