StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a birthday a couple of days ago and among other things my wife bought me a bunch of Bike mags, some of which I have never seen before. Anyway one of those is BIKE magazine out of the UK (Sept. issue), it contains a review of the 2012 Wee. Sorry can't find the article online so can't link to it.

In the first paragraph they state:
"It is with some trepidation - and mindful of existing V-Strom 650 owners - that Bike can report the new Strom is unlikely to be persuading them to chop in their bikes any time soon, Not because it's worse - in almost all quantifiable respects it's superior - but because it's not really the same thing."

They go on to say that Suzuki is aiming the bike at a new generation of V-Strommers, and that the bike feels significantly different from the current one, from how it handles, to how it feels when you sit on it.

It kinda made me think that if someone is selling their current Wee in anticipation of getting a 2012 they just might end up with a more "different" bike than they bargained for?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think it's a typical magazine article marketing ploy. From the seat down the bike is nearly indentical. The fairings and dash area have changed a little, as the motor.

They make it sound that if you "almost bought a Strom before but didn't" it has enough changes to make you get one this time. Or if you own a Strom and wanted some improvement this is the bike for you.

I'd say if you didn't like the Strom before you probably won't like this one, and if your a Strom owner now, you'll likely, like the new one.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'd say if you didn't like the Strom before you probably won't like this one, and if your a Strom owner now, you'll likely, like the new one.
I disagree.....the new Strom intro was posted on our local sportbike forum, and there were quite a number of people, who mock my Strom, but said the new one looks much better.

To think that Suzuki made these changes to keep current owners happy, and not attract new buyers, is pretty silly, which is what you are suggesting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I disagree.....the new Strom intro was posted on our local sportbike forum, and there were quite a number of people, who mock my Strom, but said the new one looks much better.

To think that Suzuki made these changes to keep current owners happy, and not attract new buyers, is pretty silly, which is what you are suggesting.
I agree with your disagree :) .
I wouldn't buy the old model based on looks,but i'm seriously considering buying the new one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In the USA most motorcycles are bought by dumb asses based mostly on looks and monthly payments.
That is funny. It would be really funny if it weren't mostly true.

The other condition for most bikes purchased in the USA is that they are HD's just like all their friends have, and offer endless accessory and clothing purchases to further enhance their motorcycle choice. Not bashing, just not my thing, and it seems to work for them.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the USA most motorcycles are bought by dumb asses based mostly on looks and monthly payments.
Yeah,that happens all over the world not just in the USA.
Looks aren't everything,but it's hard to love an ugly bike no matter how reliable it is,or how well it rides.I'm not worried what others think,but I just like my bikes to look good.
In my opinion the old model only looks good in black.I'm not real fussed on the white and orange colours of the new model (we're not getting the black),but this is more easily changed than on the old one.
I was thinking of a nice mid metallic blue,or maybe a solid red?

·
Registered
353 Posts
looks are sooo subjective

Before I bought first Wee I read reviews some that said it may have been one of the ugliest bikes ever. Prior to ownership if did not look great to me and that muffler like a dog tail was ugliest to me.

I had to have a red one so even bought used out of state just to get that one. My second is grey that as soon as I rode it home both my kids said it looked so much better (so much for my red taste).

Sometimes I think that all riders have biased opinions on looks. I think most non-bikers don't consider Strom great looking compared to others but I have had some good compliments.

Interesting part in another article comparing T800 and DL650 they said that DL650 was looking "long in the tooth" as the style has been passed. In understand that observation but think that is a lot of bunk as in clothes fashion folks (marketing) leading folks around to always get the latest look (and then after they run out of looks they go back 25 years (check out the jeans).

When I went from 1979 Bonneville to 1983 R80ST I thought I was going from good looks into the ugly category. After 20 years with that BMW years 20 to 25 I sort of liked the simple "classic" styling and I think others did to (just didn't see that around much) - although boxer jugs often got the weird remark which I totally agree with as ugly. Big jugs are nice but they look better lined up than splayed.

So with DL650 you can ride them 15+ years and still run good on original engine (my boxer did for 25) and by then they will be so long in the tooth they may start looking like a "classic". OR NOT - not a big deal either way to me.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think it's a typical magazine article marketing ploy. From the seat down the bike is nearly indentical. The fairings and dash area have changed a little, as the motor.

They make it sound that if you "almost bought a Strom before but didn't" it has enough changes to make you get one this time. Or if you own a Strom and wanted some improvement this is the bike for you.

You don't know Bike magazine very well. They know their stuff, and they aren't suck-ups to the manufacturers.

·
Registered
600 Posts
True, but they really don't like bikes that aren't sportbikes or race bikes, or classic Brit bikes. I gave up reading it. Wish we could get Motorrad in English here.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That is funny. It would be really funny if it weren't mostly true.

The other condition for most bikes purchased in the USA is that they are HD's just like all their friends have, and offer endless accessory and clothing purchases to further enhance their motorcycle choice. Not bashing, just not my thing, and it seems to work for them.:thumbup:
I must be one of the exceptions to the rule. My last few bikes (in order) I've owned are a 2005 Roadstar Warrior, 2006 GSX-R750, 2009 Harley Street Bob, 2002 Yamaha XT-225. I just test-rode an '11 V-Strom today and was impressed enough that it convinced me to buy a '12 V-Strom as soon as they hit the dealer floor. Not everybody who buys a HD buys it for the accessories and clothes and all that crap. I've put 23K miles on my Harley and have ridden the dog-sh!t out of it. Now I'm ready to move onto something else. Anyone here in NC looking to buy a HD? Talk to me. :fineprint: Full disclosure: I own 3-4 Harley t-shirts. Sue me. :biggrinjester:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
2009 Harley Street Bob, 2002 Yamaha XT-225. I just test-rode an '11 V-Strom today and was impressed enough that it convinced me to buy a '12 V-Strom as soon as they hit the dealer floor. Not everybody who buys a HD buys it for the accessories and clothes and all that crap. I've put 23K miles on my Harley and have ridden the dog-sh!t out of it. Now I'm ready to move onto something else. Anyone here in NC looking to buy a HD? Talk to me.
I'va already got a 2009 Street Bob in the garage - it's my wife's.

For a tee shirt company they make some pretty good chick bikes.

Seriously, whereabouts are you in NC? There's someone I know who really digs the wife's Dyna. He might be interested once (if ever) he sells his Sportster.

Also, Dal Kawa in Hendersonville is supposed to call me when they get their first 2012 DL650.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'va already got a 2009 Street Bob in the garage - it's my wife's.

For a tee shirt company they make some pretty good chick bikes.

Seriously, whereabouts are you in NC? There's someone I know who really digs the wife's Dyna. He might be interested once (if ever) he sells his Sportster.

Also, Dal Kawa in Hendersonville is supposed to call me when they get their first 2012 DL650.
I'm in Fuquay Varina, just south of Raleigh. If you're ever out in my area riding your bike as fast as you can on the twisty backroads and see a Street Bob coming up behind you FAST then just edge over to the side a little bit and I'll blast right on by. :mrgreen: Team Powersports told me yesterday (like they probably told a dozen other people before and after me) that I'd be the first person they call when they get a '12 model on the floor. One of the sales guys said he's guessing they won't get any in until March, another one of them says more like it will be May before they get them in. We'll see.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm really happy with the timing of the new version of the Vstrom. Not that I want a 2012, I want to swoop in on the great deals on left over 2010/2011 models that will (hopefully) appear when the new model gets released. If I can save $1000+ by getting the older model then I will get the old one. I kinda prefer the older models, looks sorta tougher.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i don't know what you guys are talking about... my 2011 white wee is a head turner. just this week alone - i've had two "stop and talk" compliments from strangers. even a few of my HD riding buds are thinking the wee would be a good stablemate for their hogs!? y'all must be pretty darn ugly to make such a sexy bike look like Fido's hiney :yikes::mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts