1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Really? The first positive review? I have read many positive reviews... Haven't read a bad review of the 2012 yet... Thanks for the post and link, though...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess all the reviews I've read have been positive too, but the reviewers didn't seem excited about the bike.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
He called it "the BABY Strom."

Heh heh heh.

He also said:

"Not only is the V-Strom the best engine in its class – and that includes the formidably good Triumph 800 – but it is also a challenger for the best motor in an Adventure bike, in any sector."

So you have that going for you...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Gushing is more like it.

Probably got to rent the bike for a week at no cost and ran to the laptop before the euphoria subsided.

·
Registered
436 Posts
"the V-Strom will manage an easy 200 miles between re-fills of the 5.2 gallon tank."

Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound like the promised 10% increase in efficiency.

pmk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
"the V-Strom will manage an easy 200 miles between re-fills of the 5.2 gallon tank."

Hmmmmm, that doesn't sound like the promised 10% increase in efficiency.

pmk
Hell, my Vee gives me 200+ miles between fills. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I thought they put a smaller gas tank on the k12? If so, they may have given the 10% increase. Seems to me as if something would be seriously wrong with most any 2012 650 twin getting 38-40 MPG.
Maybe he wrote the report from his recliner? I personally do not consider the tiger as being in the wees class, but if you are 70 years old, it would deffinently be the perfered ride....

He is prolly right about the motor though, it has been a stout dependable engine, and it was time to refine it some with the new technology that has become available over the last decade. It has lacked any real characteristics besides being real dependable, so it was more than a good call for zuk to stick with it. Look at what Duc has done with there refinements, and I am sure there are more than a few here that recall the honda XL engines of the 70's....evenually they found their way to the quads of the 90's with "refinements" and wold not be surprised if they have them in the new recons today. They would never die, but lacked any real thrills.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Really? The first positive review? I have read many positive reviews... Haven't read a bad review of the 2012 yet... Thanks for the post and link, though...
Just to clarify, he said the first positive review by a Vee owner. I actually think this is significant. How many other previous reviewers would have been as acquainted with the world of V-Strom as this writer?

It's only one rider's opinion, but it says something that an avid DL1000 rider says he would prefer the new 650 over the old 1000. Was he sincere about that? Maybe, or maybe he was indeed pandering. But the tone of the article seemed balanced and credible. It did leave me very curious about how the new motor really compares with the old one. I'm very anxious to see and ride it for myself!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yes, Frank Melling gives the new GleeStrom-650 a glowing report, in a moderately restrained way.
Quite a well-written article too - a pleasure to read his style.

In a world of chromed mega-cruisers and hyper-performance sporties, it is nice to be reminded of the essential motorcycling enjoyments to be found in a good middle-of-the-road all-rounder type of bike. Though we knew that anyway.

Only . . . . some further discussion & analysis of the suspension possibilities would have been welcome ~ but would have been outside the intended scope of the report, I guess.

·
Registered
969 Posts
From the bottom of the review "If European pricing is continued, the DL650 will sell at around $10,000, though US MSRP is still to be determined. But if $10K is the asking price, for this sort of money it has to be the best buy on the market." There is another MSRP listed in motorcycle news "motortrendinformations.com that puts the MSRP at $8,099. I like the second number better and think it's more realistic.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Man, did he drink the Cool Aid! Can't wait to ride this, the Ninja 1000ABS, and new BMW R1200R.

Effusive review from Motorcycle USA.

Suzuki also put the V-Strom on a diet and the new bike is 11 pounds lighter than its ancestor, now weighing in at very creditable 472 pounds – plus 40 something pounds for a full tank of fuel. This weight needs putting into perspective. Yamaha’s Super Tenere is a full 100 pounds heavier – that’s almost two full sacks of potatoes in extra weight, as us country living hillbillies will tell you.

In fact, the DL is only 59 pounds heavier than Yamaha’s outstanding XT660 Tenere Single (which us sad Americans do not get to see) – the Suzuki is that good!

Combine the new, light weight with the inherent advantages of the bike’s V-Twin layout and the outcome is a bike which is starting to feel much more like a big, single-cylinder trail bike than a middleweight Adventure motorcycle.

...Not only is the V-Strom the best engine in its class – and that includes the formidably good Triumph 800 – but it is also a challenger for the best motor in an Adventure bike, in any sector.

While the Suzuki's suspension felt adequate to the task, it had our tester wishing for more performance at times. At one end of the scale, the DL650 will pull from literally tickover all the way to 10,000 rpm – and with turbine smoothness. As an experiment, I tried riding at 25 mph, two-up and loaded with photographic gear – in sixth gear! Simply open the throttle and the V-Strom pulls away with effortless grace.

At the other end of its performance range, the motor revs on like a two-stroke Twin. In all conditions it is sweet, inoffensive and willing.

Suzuki claim 69 horsepower for the engine and, in a way, this figure does a disservice to the real life power it makes. In practical terms, think more of a 90-hp touring machine and you will get a sense of the sort of power the rider feels is available. There are 44 lb-ft of torque at 6400rpm but again this is deceptive because of the utterly linear delivery of the power.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Street date

Ahh, my orange one should be here by Thanksgiving.
Read your crash thread and I'm glad to hear your doing alright. Did you get any solid info from your Suzuki dealer about November or are they just guessing like they are here?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
"MSRP listed in motorcycle news "motortrendinformations.com that puts the MSRP at $8,099."

Local Suzuki dealer was told to expect 4-6 % increase on the $8099 price from 2011, and he expects me to get it out the door for about $8500. Dealer show coming up this weekend, closed Monday, ought to have a price by Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Looks like the annual dealer meeting is Halloween weekend in Orlando, so we should start getting more information on deliveries.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts