StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am looking at upgrading my wheels. I have a little TU250x. I am trying to keep my price reasonable, but a new 2012 Wee sure is tempting (0%, fair price). How would you compare this bike to few of these other bikes in the price range:

DR650 (newer)
KLR650 (2009+)
BMW F650GS or G650GS

These are basically my other options I am considering. My primary use will be highways up to 70mph sustained, touring (maybe, once I get my nerve up), and short 2-3 hour country trips. I might do some light offroading too. My dream is to drive the bike cross country or to Alaska someday.

Thanks,
BC

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Highway means BMW or Vstrom. Vstrom is a much better deal, besides, when you come here you're preaching to the choir.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Haha, thats true! Anyone ditch their expensive BMW for a thrifty Vstrom?
The F bikes had a lot of teething problems when they first came out, turning a lot of people off. The F650GS comes with a single front brake disk and the F800GS has a 21" front. I considered them before buying an 09 DL650A and upgrading the suspension. The dollar total was about the same but the V-Strom was proven to be dead reliable.

Presumably the F bikes have sorted out their problems. I was at a BMW club breakfast yesterday and there were a lot of F bikes there: GS's, the "R" [Roadster] model, and ST [Street Touring]. The ST has a belt drive, the others a chain.

You will have to ride them yourself to decide. Many buyers of "prestige" products accept higher maintenance costs as part of the ownership experience, but still find it worthwhile.

There are many bikes that might suit your purposes: the Kawasaki Versys, the Honda 700's, and many "standards." A dirt road is not "off-road" and you don't need an "Adventurer Tourer" to ride down a dirt road.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was considering the KLR and DR650 as well. The KLR was no where near the level of quality of the Vstrom.

Find a dealer where you can see them side by side and you will see.

·
Registered
875 Posts
All the bikes you named are far more dirt oriented than the strom, which is essentially a street bike with some off-road capability.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I would rather have more street/road manners than off road ability, but I still want to feel like I dont have to treat the bike with kid gloves off the beaten track. I dont envision riding through the forest, more like dirt trails.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I would rather have more street/road manners than off road ability, but I still want to feel like I dont have to treat the bike with kid gloves off the beaten track. I dont envision riding through the forest, more like dirt trails.
That's the mission statement for the Vee / Wee / Gee for a bunch of us here.

I've not tried the thumpers on your list, but I did test ride a Beemer (F800R) and a Triumph Tiger 800, road version. I wasn't blown away by either, though I could easily see the F800R costing me my license one day. I thought the GStrom was the best bike of the lot, never mind the cheapest and most fuel efficient, and wound up getting it. I was coming over from a Gladius, though, and was favorably predisposed to the GStrom's engine as a result.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I agree. I consider my wee a light-ish sport tourer without the shitty ergos. Slap bags and a GPS on it and you're good to go.

You can even find good road oriented rubber for the 19" front these days.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went from a 09 KLR setup with a 19" Excel in front and Distanzia's. It was excellent in the street and decent in the dirt except for the weight. I then went to a DRZ for more off-road riding but now have decided to spend more time on the pavement and so will pickup a DL650 this Friday.

The KLR would do you well for what you are trying to accomplish and 09's can be picked up for around 4K with low miles. If you want to enjoy your pavement rides, go with the DL650. I like the BMW's but our off-road rides with our friend that rides a 650GS is always loosing parts or we are trying to help him get it started.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always thought BMW bikes were supposed to be super reliable. what happened??
are they out sourcing??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Beemer Down

I always thought BMW bikes were supposed to be super reliable. what happened??
are they out sourcing??
As I sell my r1150r, I remember the reliability promised. Has the reality been hell? No, it has not. Just more than the SV. The fuel economy on the BMW is okay, not great. I have a Vstrom waiting. I had always thought if the SV were just a little bigger for highway riding. I spent more in one year of BMW ownership than 4 years of SV ownership.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DL650

I have owned or ridden all of the bikes you mentioned. Based on what you indicated that you want, the DL650 is the best all around performer.

I still have a DR650 and a DL1000, but the DL650A gets the most miles from me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
bmw,s were reliable but that stopped with the last of the 1150cc range ..the new ones are made of chocolate ...go buy a wee ..

·
Registered
94 Posts
As I sell my r1150r, I remember the reliability promised. Has the reality been hell? No, it has not. Just more than the SV. The fuel economy on the BMW is okay, not great. I have a Vstrom waiting. I had always thought if the SV were just a little bigger for highway riding. I spent more in one year of BMW ownership than 4 years of SV ownership.

Just my experience.
I have been riding BMW since 2000 & I'm my own wrench. Not counting farkles- filters,tires & one rear seal(~$35)all I bought to date. Fuel economy on a 1150 bike-get real & buy a pizza bike. I get the same 45mpg or so as others on the R bike.I'm still thinking the 2012 Wee may be my 1st new bike since 1963.

·
Registered
371 Posts
To get back to the original question...

Hey all,

I am looking at upgrading my wheels. I have a little TU250x. I am trying to keep my price reasonable, but a new 2012 Wee sure is tempting (0%, fair price). How would you compare this bike to few of these other bikes in the price range:

DR650 (newer)
KLR650 (2009+)
BMW F650GS or G650GS

These are basically my other options I am considering. My primary use will be highways up to 70mph sustained, touring (maybe, once I get my nerve up), and short 2-3 hour country trips. I might do some light offroading too. My dream is to drive the bike cross country or to Alaska someday.

Thanks,
BC
For your needs and kind of riding, the V-Strom beats any thumper hands down.

Personally I think the 2012 V-Strom is the best overall package for ~90/10 solo riding - regardless of size and price.
In the process of comming to that conclusion, I've ridden a lot of different bikes: Tiger 800/800XC, BMW R1200GS, KTM 990 Adventure and the S10 - just to name some of them.
No one was more surpriced than me, when it turned out that the 2012 V-Strom came out on top in that company :confused:

If I should suggest other bikes that might fit your needs, it would be Honda Transalp, Kawasaki Versys and Triumph Tiger 800.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts