StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie Here!!! This is my 1st attempt at removing the gas tank.

Background: I need to remove the gas tank to gain access to the speedometer coupling. My intention is to install the SpeedoDRD speed correction device as well as replace the air filter.

I have a service manual that indicates the plastics need to be removed. Excerpt shown below.

I've also searched for tips/tricks on tank removal on this site. I found a reference to the official tank removal thread on the international site. However, I couldn't access the info.

I also searched YouTube for any helpful videos. I found a video showing the removal of the tank WITHOUT removing the plastic as shown in the service manual.

My Question to The Collective
- Will this work for my 2012 Vee???
- Does anyone have any advice?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks in Advance
Big Boy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Take the side cowlings off. Im not sure about the VEE but my WEE had at least one bolt going into the tank. No biggy, just do it. In future it will then be just 5 minutes. Just remember which bolts go where and keep them in a little jar or plastic pot to be sure non get lost.

Then undo the rear bolt, lift up the rear of the tank and disconnect the fuel pump connector and the fuel line and the vent and overflow hoses. Then support the rear with the little bracket set on end. Remove the front bolt (mine was 10mm socket). Done, lift it off.

Best if the tank is kind of empty since its not so heavy with less fuel in it. Make sure you have a safe and sturdy place where to rest it (how do I know??).

Whilst you have good access check all the electrical connectors to make sure they are clean. not oxidized and protected from the elements as fas as possible. It's recommended to reassemble with contact protection sprays or dielectric grease.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
The 12-16 650's must have the tank plastics taken off and tank lifted, it isn't the same design as what you linked. It's easy once you do it a few times, I can lift my tank quicker on my 15 than I could on my past 1000's. You can take the plastics off and still be able to have the tank on for access below, the piece that bolts down the tank near the seat is also a lift/wedge. :wink2:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Amazingly, the 'easy' tank removal procedure from Post#1 worked great!!! I was able to install the the speedo correction device and change out the NASTY air filter. Looks like the PO had not performed that maint. in a very long time!!!

Damn that tank is HUGE!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
I know what the manual says is the interval for the air filter replacement, but what does the collective recommend?
I have a K&N in mine and clean it about once a year and it usually needs it.

But really, it depends on what kind of riding you're doing. Dusty dirt rides shorten the interval dramatically.

But, if you put on a lot of miles in the rain, the weather does your filtering for you.

If it's just leaves and bugs, you can often just tap the filter clean and reinstall as an interim measure.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know what the manual says is the interval for the air filter replacement, but what does the collective recommend?
I do the filter once a year prior to winter storage. In general I replace it every 2 years but blow it out every odd year. I could probably go to a 3 year cycle. Mileage varies between 22,000 to 29,000 km /year.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
He has a 2012 VEE
Well damn, reading comprehension got best of me again, sometimes I also forget there is a 2012 1000 as few here seem to have them. :headbang:

Glad the OP got it figured out and resolved.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts