StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'll give you my rundown before proceeding with a few questions I could not find here. Started riding 28yrs ago on a KDX200 then went to a very underpowered 85 KLR600 (awful timing problems) then moved to a 1986 Magna 700 which I loved great power, handling etc. I live in the North East and rode 3 1/2 seasons with big old bear claws. Wonder if they even make them any longer. As I live close to NYC the traffic started getting to me. So I quit riding except for some bikes I worked on and gave the old 300 mile test ride to, Harleys mostly. Now to my questions. And thanks for reading this far.
Me 5'11 -230# 32"inseam
Her 5'6 - 150# I guess because I know better than to ask!
I will be splitting the riding between a NYC commute (mostly off hours as I leave for work at 5am and get home around 9pm) and 2up State parks/National Parks. I bring a decent amount of camera gear/hiking/camping whenever I can. Up to 75# worth of stuff. Tho I can trim back the stuff a bit.
Maneuverability and power to get out of the way of citiots. I am going towards this stle bike because some roads I will be on are not close to perfect and I am used to the stand up and do 5mph crawls when necessary.
I know I am asking a lot but maybe you can through some answers this way.

Thanks in advance
Bob

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think before the new 650 came out, you could make a good case for either bike. In my opinion with the new 650, it's harder to make the case for the 1000. What was outsold maybe 8 to 1 will probably now be outsold 10+ to 1.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I think before the new 650 came out, you could make a good case for either bike. In my opinion with the new 650, it's harder to make the case for the 1000. What was outsold maybe 8 to 1 will probably now be outsold 10+ to 1.
Avoid the crowds, be unique. Choose the Vee.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The new look for the V-Strom is only for the Wee model????:jawdrop:
correct, with the VEE, you get bold new graphics.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
I'd get the Wee, primarily because it comes standard with Anti-Lock braking. ABS is really the one thing I'd like to "upgrade" to when the time comes for a new Strom. I really love my non ABS 2006, and the additional power of the Vee would be fun, but ABS is definitely a trump card. For the street, I believe ABS is definitely a benefit, even for experienced riders (and you can disable the ABS with a little aftermarket switch wiring kit)

That said, the Vee is a tried and true contender - it's always a great bike. But, the Wee (or Glee 2012) has definitely benefited from a freshening, and a new mill.

I don't envy your choice!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Since your west of NYC, the WEE would be a better bike for all that stop and go traffic on the Garden State Parkway.

I do love my VEE, but not in traffic. It's made for the open road!! :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts