StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The more I look at the 2012 model compared to the current model, the more I like the new design. The mechanical upgrades may be evolutionary instead of revolutionary but to my eye the bike looks much better, less bulky, and more streamlined, from the lower placement of the turn signals to the tilt of the tailpike. Biggest visual improvement in my opinion is the gas tank. The look should stand up well against other similar bikes on the market. :thumbup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
really like it

I think the new one is really good looking bike, too bad its not a 800cc, but its still nice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Me too

I like it too, I don't even mind that it's still a six fiddy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the ride reports from the jounalists. Heaven knows our existing bikes didn't sell on their looks--though I'm not saying the old style look is actually bad...

These bikes have sold on their performance, rideability, value and durability.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the ride reports from the jounalists. Heaven knows our existing bikes didn't sell on their looks--though I'm not saying the old style look is actually bad...

These bikes have sold on their performance, rideability, value and durability.
I'd suggest that some journo's will have a pre-existing, let down, go through the motion, mindset about this bike, so don't get too hopeful about things being too balanced initially.

Best way is hire / ride one for yourself I would say, or wait for people who actually bought one to report back and take an average.

Cheers
Graham

·
Registered
417 Posts
Where is the oil cooler? Cant to find out more about it. The whole bike that is. Not just the oil cooler.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'd suggest that some journo's will have a pre-existing, let down, go through the motion, mindset about this bike, so don't get too hopeful about things being too balanced initially.

Best way is hire / ride one for yourself I would say, or wait for people who actually bought one to report back and take an average.

Cheers
Graham
The Wee has generally gotten great reviews from the press. It doesn't get much print these days because it hasn't changed in so long but no doubt it will get ink.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Where is the oil cooler? Cant to find out more about it. The whole bike that is. Not just the oil cooler.
I believe the oil cooler has been integrated with the radiator??..?? I read something somewhere to that effect, but am too lazy to find it right now. :beatnik:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like the new one, definitely an improvement....but then again I like the old one as well, I never thought it was "ugly"

Win win :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
You can see two coolant hoses going to the heat exchanger behind the oil filter. One goes to the water pump and another to the radiator.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ya I can see the lines in the larger photo and thought that they relocated it. A heat exchanger is an interesting change.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
old vs new

to my old eyes - new style is more street-like, old style is more rugged (wanna-be off-road)

·
Registered
705 Posts
to my old eyes - new style is more street-like, old style is more rugged (wanna-be off-road)

I have just finished reading an "Adventure Bike SHOOTOUT" in a popular magazine. The 3 bikes shooting it out are Triumph Tiger 1050 (not the 800??), KTM Supermoto (not the Adenture???) and Ducati Multistrada ($$$). There was no mention of other adventure bikes (by the way I'm starting to not like that label) so it looks like it's becoming more about rugged image (with rugged coffee in hand) than having fun on a bunch of levels.

I applaud Suzuki for walking a fine line between what I have just said and buildng a slicker looking bike that I can still put some decent road/dirt tires on.

I know there's a thread for this but the ultimate farkle for me will continue to be an 800cc kit.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I think the old one is going to be deemed the Jeep CJ of the Strom continuum...the new one with it's swoopy up-pipe and skinny trout pout will no doubt be the seggzier of the two....

I'll not loose any sleep over either condition! The new bike is a worthy successor to the old bike, oh yeah - the one we all really dig. Yeah, that one.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
An oil-cooler (i.e. heat exchanger) incorporated inside the water-cooling system?

I am out of touch - but didn't the truck manufacturers try that, decades ago?
And give it up because any leakages / cracks / failures that led to "intermingling", ended up to be very expensive (including a lot of downtime) ?

Or is this the current good engineering practice?

(Or maybe I'm thinking of watercooled intercoolers for turbochargers.)

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
An oil-cooler (i.e. heat exchanger) incorporated inside the water-cooling system?

I am out of touch - but didn't the truck manufacturers try that, decades ago?
And give it up because any leakages / cracks / failures that led to "intermingling", ended up to be very expensive (including a lot of downtime) ?

Or is this the current good engineering practice?

(Or maybe I'm thinking of watercooled intercoolers for turbochargers.)
Probably watercooled intercoolers or something else. There were problems years ago with coolant/oil heat exchangers but it has been pretty common stuff for over 25years now in some cars.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 32 Posts