StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found this Exhaust on Ebay for around $525 delivered. There is not cutting and it is a direct bolt on. Even has a place for the oxygen sensor or whatever that is. This is the link to the Ebay. They have a You Tube link but it doesn't work. I did find it on You Tube and here is the link. Let me know if anyone is using this and what you think. This particular one has a removable baffle and an inner tip. :thumbup:

Suzuki V-Strom 650 scarico GPR - GPR Exhaust system - V-Strom 650 Echappement - YouTube

Ebay links are against forum rules.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I found this Exhaust on Ebay for around $525 delivered. There is not cutting and it is a direct bolt on. Even has a place for the oxygen sensor or whatever that is. This is the link to the Ebay. They have a You Tube link but it doesn't work. I did find it on You Tube and here is the link. Let me know if anyone is using this and what you think. This particular one has a removable baffle and an inner tip. :thumbup:

Suzuki V-Strom 650 scarico GPR - GPR Exhaust system - V-Strom 650 Echappement - YouTube

Ebay links are against forum rules.
looks like a much cleaner install than the akra...

·
Registered
107 Posts
GPRs for the Tiger 1050, Super Tenere and others need repacks. You might do well to ask the seller if it's required for their Strom exhaust. The red flag is the low price.
I am not sure if repacking is a disadvantage or not. How often do "repackable" exhausts need to be repacked anyway? Every 1K miles? 5K? 10K? If you can go 10 - 20K miles without having to repack an exhaust I think that it becomes a non-issue. In fact, the ability to repack or "freshen up" an aging exhaust might actually be a benefit.

I thought that the clip demonstrated that this exhaust sounds as good or better than anything else out there. That is what it is really about isn't it? I haven't seen any chart that shows much more than a 5% increase in power for any of the exhausts. I think that the main benefit is in the head of the rider. The real red flag is that the Akra exhaust is $800+. What they are saying is that for 10% of the purchase price of a new 2012 V-Strom you can have 3 - 5 more HP. That is a lot of dough for minimal power benefit.

Weight saving is really another benefit of aftermarket exhausts. If you can save 10 lbs with a new exhaust it kind of makes up for the 10 lb crash bars, 11 lb. skid plate and all the other farkles we tend to put on our bikes. Weight is the HP killer and by the time we put the 40 lbs. of farkle on our bikes it kind of makes sense to look at a lighter exhaust.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am not sure if repacking is a disadvantage or not. How often do "repackable" exhausts need to be repacked anyway? Every 1K miles? 5K? 10K? If you can go 10 - 20K miles without having to repack an exhaust I think that it becomes a non-issue. In fact, the ability to repack or "freshen up" an aging exhaust might actually be a benefit.
I've seen riders get anywhere from 3-10K before a repack, but then the variables (can brand, bike's HP, temps, blah, blah, blah) are so many that it's almost not worth a discussion.

I thought that the clip demonstrated that this exhaust sounds as good or better than anything else out there. That is what it is really about isn't it?
Screw the sound. I'm with you about the weight savings.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
price = quality?
Aftermarket companies love us older guys, more money = more part, better quality? You can buy a lot of metal for $500, and if it was $5000 it would be better? Repacking the can would be my only issue (if it applies) but regardless of price, all you get is weight savings and more noise. Like someone else pointed out, weight savings is offset by farkles like crash bars,skid plates, ect. Don't get me wrong, I'd have another exhaust if it wasn't for also having to spend more money to properly tune the EFI and possibly loose gas milage. Cheers--BB

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
price = quality?
If this is a BMW forum, I can understand the automatic assumption.

You are staring a bike that proves that theory wrong... Lower price does not equate to bad quality. Discuss the merits of each product please!

525 is not cheap.. Only cheaper than other over-priced parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts