StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just over at the Suzuki site and noticed the 2012 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (as well as two new 2012 V-Strom 1K's).

Looks like a standard 2012 with pannier's and an engine crash guard (but no skidplate). If that's all then I'd probably go with standard 2012 so that I can select my own adventure accessories. I'm surprised it doesn't have hand guards, heated grips, better electrical capacity, or other things that a true adventure ride will require.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Another additional thing the Adventure version has is some kind of laminar lip thing on the windshield.

Not sure on prices of any of these things, and I do agree there should be more additional things, but Suzi says the (already included) additional items would cost about 800$ more if bought separately.

My take is... I'd be buying all those things anyway, and on the plus side, the panniers are aluminum top loaders, and look to be more narrow then the plastic side loaders, which is the other Suzi offering (all depends on what your needs are of course. The plastic looks as though it could fit a full face, not so the aluminum).

Prefer the black plastic to the Rust color (or whatever it is). But my plans (if it's just plastic and not too expensive) would be to order the white from Canada. Just prefer that white and black contrast for safety reasons.

All in All, pretty excited about it. Looking forward to having a bike that you can kind of "knock around in" and not worry if something got a scratch on it!! heaven forbid!! as it is with some full fairing-ed bikes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay... just watched another Suzi Video on this new model from another thread. But wanted to report here re previous comments...

1) looks like the aluminum bags are just as wide as the plastic bags.

2) "Unfortunately, then new Bosch ABS system cannot be turned off"

That last one may be a deal killer for me... just letting others know, in case it is for you too.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Unless the panniers are really good heavy alunimun they won't hold up to adventurous duty. I know the stock plastic factory bags don't hold up well in a get off and I've see pictures of other brand factory alunimun all bashed to bits.
The factory set up may be attractive but not really suitable for real world use.
More adventurous would have been a larger gas tank!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'd suspect the bypass switch wiring would be similar to previous model years. The BMW's have the ability to disable ABS from the facotry, but it cannot be done "on-the-fly". They require stopping, shutting the bike down and restarting.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Unless the panniers are really good heavy alunimun they won't hold up to adventurous duty. I know the stock plastic factory bags don't hold up well in a get off and I've see pictures of other brand factory alunimun all bashed to bits.
The factory set up may be attractive but not really suitable for real world use.
More adventurous would have been a larger gas tank!
The Wee already has a 250 mile + range, one of the longest in the industry, adventure bike or not. And as far as the stock panniers being suitable for real world use, they are exactly that-set up for how most V-Strom owners use the bike. On the street.

Okay... just watched another Suzi Video on this new model from another thread. But wanted to report here re previous comments...

1) looks like the aluminum bags are just as wide as the plastic bags.

That last one may be a deal killer for me... just letting others know, in case it is for you too.
The ABS Wee has never had the ability to be turned off. And if that's a deal breaker for you, you may be looking at the wrong bike for your needs. Not trying to be a jerk but this bike was engineered to a street bike with some off-road capability, not the other way around.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Not having a switch doesn't mean ABS can't be turned off. Pulling a fuse will do that and a switch can be added,

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I'm confident that Eastern Beaver [the guys who make all the cool electrical bits] will have a ABS bypass for the new Strom as soon as it hits the market.

·
38,104 Posts
Chances are excellent the present bypass kit will still work.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well if the new system on the Wee is like the one on my FJR...

yes of course you can pull the fuse and shut it off (doh!), but once you've done that, now you have to take it to the dealer to have the ecu "re set" before it will go back on again...

It's entirely possible, again more conjecture as we simply don't know for sure at this point, but the "reviewer" that stated it "couldn't be turned off" was comparing it to a BMW type bike that has a "turn off switch"?

does anyone know for sure?

The odd thing about the way they put it though doesn't sound encouraging "Unfortunately, with the new Bosch system... " Sounds to me like he was comparing it to the old system (that could be shut off)?

And Yes eye.s, it has had the ability with an after market EB harness. you might note that EB doesn't make a similar harness for every bike... probably for the reasons mentioned above re fjr abs. And I'm aware what type of riding the bike was engineered for, don't want the abs off so I can off road, wrong assumption.

Well... only time will tell what the situation is. Right now we have lots and lots of conjecture... no facts.

·
38,104 Posts
Check with the Aussies. The 2012 is out over there. Eastern Beaver is basically Jim Davis. He makes stuff for bikes he has access to. It's not a multinational conglomerate with every model of bike in a huge test lab.

The new ABS system is lighter than the old but there is no mention of any other changes, specifically having linked brakes in which there is some front application when the rear brake pedal is depressed. I'll bet it's only linked systems that involve any special reset technique. Yes, it is conjecture but it isn't wild conjecture.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check with the Aussies. The 2012 is out over there. Eastern Beaver is basically Jim Davis. He makes stuff for bikes he has access to. It's not a multinational conglomerate with every model of bike in a huge test lab.

The new ABS system is lighter than the old but there is no mention of any other changes, specifically having linked brakes in which there is some front application when the rear brake pedal is depressed. I'll bet it's only linked systems that involve any special reset technique. Yes, it is conjecture but it isn't wild conjecture.
Just send Jim an email Wolf, good suggestion.

To add more conjecture to the already huge pile we have ;)

Pretty sure (no expert here) the ABS is not related in any way to linked or integrated brakes. My St13 and VFR's had linked brakes but no ABS. Pain in the neck to bleed that type of braking system, in case anyone isn't aware...

My fjr has both, and I swear the ABS is kicking in sooner then it should. Maybe there's something wrong with it. But recent research indicates it's a common complaint some motorcyclists have on their ABS bikes, so it may be acting as designed.

Also research indicates that some bikes ABS systems "cannot be shut off". It may very well be Jim only has the products he has for the reasons you mention. Doesn't change the fact some can't be shut off though.

Basically, I'm making a 10,000 dollar buying decision here. This ABS off aspect is important to me. Not leaving it up to chance.

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance but why are so many people worried about disabling the ABS? :confused: I've owned several bikes but never one with ABS. Seems like it would be a good thing at least for street riding. Are the concerns only about how the ABS would perform off-road? Or is there some reason someone would want to disable ABS for on-road riding? I can't think of a time when I've ever wanted to lock up my front or rear wheel/tire while riding on the street. For that matter I can't really think of a time when I've wanted to lock up either front or rear when riding off-road. Not trying to start an argument. Just trying to understand. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
ABS. Seems like it would be a good thing at least for street riding

You've never tried the ABS on an F800ST? Enough to make you question the value!
Good ABS is a thing of beauty, iffy...I'd rather turn it off!

·
38,104 Posts
Going own a steep hill with a loose surface like dirt or gravel can turn ABS brakes into no brakes. You want to be able to lock the rear and pile up dirt in front of the tire to slow it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
ABS. Seems like it would be a good thing at least for street riding

You've never tried the ABS on an F800ST? Enough to make you question the value!
Good ABS is a thing of beauty, iffy...I'd rather turn it off!
So has Suzuki's ABS on the V-Strom traditionally been "iffy?"

·
Registered
435 Posts
Going own a steep hill with a loose surface like dirt or gravel can turn ABS brakes into no brakes. You want to be able to lock the rear and pile up dirt in front of the tire to slow it.
That seems like a corner case to me. I guess that's when you'd switch it off, though, huh? OK, fair enough. I go offroading a decent amount on a smaller bike (Yamaha XT 225) on some power-line trails with some pretty steep hills. I obviously don't have ABS but I have never intentionally locked up either front or rear in order to slow down on a hill (or on a flat surface, actually). Any time I've ever locked up a wheel it has pretty much immediately resulted in making the bike much harder to manage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts