StromTrooper banner

2012 U.S. Price

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Kelly2012 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the import tariff is for Canada from Japan? Other Suzukis are about 6.5 % cheaper in the U.S. than Canada. Two thoughts: 1.) Suzuki may reduce the U.S. price when the time gets closer to release of the 1000, and, I think, 2.) more likely, Suzuki plans to offer very good incentives to purchase. Another thought is that if the cost to dealer is the same as to Canada, U.S. dealers will likely have to adjust final cost downward. Just some random thoughts...

I will have to be decidedly influenced to part with my DL650 - which, by my estimation, is one of the best all-round motorcycles ever made...:yes nod:

--John

#4 ·
Sort of related information, is that to import a 900cc+ motorcycle from Canada to the US, is 2.4% tariff. Going with that the CA Loonie is currently $.94 USD, that puts the CA 1000 V Stroms at $11,280US + $271 tariff = $11,551 US retail. Seems like we're getting bent here. Not sure about meeting US EPA certifications though and the warranty is probably not valid in the US. Not to mention, that your local Suzuki dealer will be really annoyed.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, the U.S. vs. Canada pricing is still a mystery. I have checked various bikes' price differential - including several Suzukis - the pricing seems to have no consistency - for example, the 109-R "Boss" is way cheaper in the U.S. than Canada, and, as most know, the 2014 DL-650 is 7+ % cheaper in the U.S. - $9099.00 Cdn., vs $8499.00 U.S.

I guess the bottom line is, Suzuki is setting MSRP's based on what they think they can get...(not based on dealer cost.) It still does not make sense that Yanks must pay $1200.00 more than Canucks - $11499.00 Cdn. vs $12699.00 U.S. for the base model 1000 - a 9.4% differential - NOOOOOO!!!! The rate of exchange today is $1.00 U.S. to $.94 Cdn. - but that is only 6% - and, the import duty MUST be cheaper in the U.S. than Canada...

My advice to anyone in U.S. considering a new 1000 Strom - is: absolutely do not pay more than MSRP in Canada - $11499.00.

Thanks for the rant...:yesnod:

--John

#9 ·
In the U.S., we are particularly crazy about "discounts" to the point where regular MSRPs are inflated and we end up paying the same as we did before all the 35%-50% discounting. When JC Penny stopped all the nonsense, I shopped there as much as I could. Could it be that the MSRP of the new Vee is being priced at a premium in the U.S. so that Suzuki can offer super-awesome discounts from MSRP at the dealer and 0% financing?

The Dirty Secret of 'Discounts'—Black Friday and Beyond - WSJ.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.