StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, I read a thread where a mod recommendation was made for the Eastern Beaver H4 Headlight Relay.

The poster opined that the large amounts of current from the headlights through the switches would (eventually) melt the switch contacts, and this mod was recommended so to prevent this from happening (by using switched relays).

I dont generally believe this will / may happen, but I'm wondering if anyone is encountering ignition switch (or other switch) failure from the large current flow (there are two 55W headlights "on" full time, after all)?

Arc'ed contacts / burned contacts / switch "just dont work no more", etc.

Anyone?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Newer bikes are less likely to have such problems. There really aren't any changes to design and materials which would indicate the newer bikes will eventually have the same rate of problems in that area the older ones have had.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Newer bikes are less likely to have such problems. There really aren't any changes to design and materials which would indicate the newer bikes will eventually have the same rate of problems in that area the older ones have had.
Agreed. Newer bikes are less likely to have such problems due to their having been used less. Fewer arcing episodes (from new) generally means less failures to report. However, this does not speak to the system after some aging has occured.

I'm sorta on-board with the second statement. No design or material changes could also mean that the failures could be latent, future occurances.

...along the lines of: The previous product experienced these failures. They did not change the design or materials, so therefore we *should* expect these failures to re-occur in the new product.

I'm not too familiar with the "older" product. Does it use one, or two, headlights?

Said a different viewpoint, is the "newer" system burning more headlights (and increasing the circuit load on the switch terminal contacts)?

...or yet a different view: did they make no design or materials changes, yet they increased the current load?

In any case, I'm grateful for the speedy reply. Thanks very much.

Bob

·
38,103 Posts
Old and new use two H4 55/60W bulbs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There really aren't any changes to design and materials which would indicate the newer bikes will eventually have the same rate of problems in that area the older ones have had.
Yep. One of the first things I did on mine was put int he headlight relay kit.

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
A few days ago, I read a thread where a mod recommendation was made for the Eastern Beaver H4 Headlight Relay.

The poster opined that the large amounts of current from the headlights through the switches would (eventually) melt the switch contacts, and this mod was recommended so to prevent this from happening (by using switched relays).

I dont generally believe this will / may happen, but I'm wondering if anyone is encountering ignition switch (or other switch) failure from the large current flow (there are two 55W headlights "on" full time, after all)?

Arc'ed contacts / burned contacts / switch "just dont work no more", etc.

Anyone?
I had the contacts get dirty on my 2006 at around 100,000 miles (I think it was.) I fixed it by cleaning the contacts.

Someone (Greywolf?) please correct me if I am wrong but would this be more of an issue caused by the amount of times the switch is used as opposed to just the current running through it? (i.e. a bit of sparking over the gap or some such?)

..Tom

·
38,103 Posts
I would imagine the number of cycles would be the major factor in switch contacts while hours of use would be more applicable to connections. If you really want to take it easy on the starter switch headlight contacts, push the starter button and hold it in while you turn on the ignition. Then pull the clutch lever to start the bike. The contacts will only have a single make under power in the process as the start button is released rather than a break and make. Those contacts are, by far, the weakest link in the chain.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has anyone installed hid lights? I did this on my 640 adv and really liked the result.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
If you really want to take it easy on the starter switch headlight contacts, push the starter button and hold it in while you turn on the ignition. Then pull the clutch lever to start the bike. The contacts will only have a single make under power in the process as the start button is released rather than a break and make. Those contacts are, by far, the weakest link in the chain.
that's one of best advice i got from GW - when i installed my HID projector - i was thinking about getting a time delay device to ensure the HID bulb doesnt go on and off and on every time i start the bike. This method is simple, logical and free - i kick myself for thinking something complicated while such a simple solution exists.

·
38,103 Posts
I had HID lights on my last two Stroms. I like them for heated gear as the light output is constant as the controllers cycle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts