StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting everyone,

Newbie here, just trying to get a bit of info. I know on the previous years models one comment was it was top heavy for a beginner. Has anyone spent enough time with one to comment on if the 2012 is improved in that aspect?

Thanks all,
Val

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have only test-ridden the new bike (waiting on an Adventure model to buy), but my experience is that yes it feels noticeably less top-heavy. I would recommend the new variant over the old to a beginner, and also think that the new model will appeal to a wider audience. The new model feels like a different motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I don't consider the Strom to be top heavy. But, for a beginner, it's imposing size and stature could naturally be a bit intimidating at first - the Strom is not a dainty bike. That said, I can putter around in any parking lot, doing Shriner-style, steer from the hips, figure-eights at stall speed all day long on my Strom without even thinking it's topheavy - it ain't a big fat cruiser bruiser by any stretch. However, it is a big bike and can get away from you - especially if you are daydreaming in a driveway [don't ask!]. The new model is pretty much the same bike under the fancy new plastic and updates - only about 10-15 lbs lighter.

But, after sitting on a new 2012, I perceived it to be somehow "smaller" than my original flavor model. But, that doesn't mean it will somehow magically transform itself into a tiny 250cc trailbike!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I haven't ridden the 2012, but sat on one at the dealer. My feet are more firmly planted on the ground with the new version and it felt lighter, but this opinion should take into consideration that my earlier bike is lowered by 1/2 inch and always has a full set of luggage on it as well as a Russell seat.

The new bike I sat on is mine once Suzuki and the dealer release it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The new bike I sat on is mine once Suzuki and the dealer release it.
Looking forward to your impression.

On the seat and elswhere.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Looking forward to your impression.

On the seat and elswhere.
If I was in more of a hurry to get the bike, I could have taken delivery a couple of days before the dealer got the Stop Sales and Delivery Order.

I'm wading through boxes that came off the brown truck this week.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can't compare with pre 2012 models, but coming from a 250cc super Sherpa it felt very tall, heavy and top heavy at first. But I got used to it in no time. Now like jokermtb I'm confident throwing it around tight turns at walking pace. I've even been known to do the 'wanker wobble' pushbike style in reeeealy slow traffic without putting a foot down just to show off :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your input.

I'd like to hear what any of the ladies think of 2012 if any have had time with one. I'm lucky (so folks tell me) in that I'm not short, about 5'8", and far from being a twig... gotta love Scandinavian bloodlines.

Sat on a 2011 last summer, and it felt okay, I could get the balls of my feet on the ground. But having not ridden in forever, it felt foreign to me. I can always lower it, for my first few months to a year, until I'm feeling solid on handling a bike again.

I did ride dirt many years ago, on a little 125cc when I was young and bullet proof (or so I thought at the time). Fast forward 30 years, and I'm hoping to get into riding again. Going to take my rider course for beginners, and the intermediate once I choose a bike. I live in the boonies, so I have lots of non Freeway/Interstate roads to toddle around on. Not to mention a church down the way with a nice open parking lot to safely practice on. Have a friend that just bought a 2011, and he's offered to let me ride it, but at this time I'm not willing to risk his shiny new bike to my lack of recent riding time.

Once I feel good about it, I hope to do some longer distance exploring/camping of back roads, forest service roads, and maybe even a bit of 2 track. I like to fly fish and do a bit of photography, not to mention just seeing things and areas that not everyone can get to, or bothers with.

Thanks again everyone, I'll be keeping an eye on this and looking forward to tmcgee's thoughts on the 2012.

Val

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
>> Thanks again everyone, I'll be keeping an eye on this and looking forward to tmcgee's thoughts on the 2012.

I'm six feet tall, but have long torso and short legs. The earlier bike was a stretch to flatfoot, but better after I lowered the rear by a half inch. I lowered it after dropping it for the third time when pulling up to a stop sign on uneven ground, and discovering that one leg suddenly got too short to even touch the ground on that side.

The new 2012 has a different seat that is narrower in the front and I have no problem getting both feet flat on the ground. I've also learned to pay attention to uneven ground!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm 5'7", 140lbs, with a 30" inseam, and moved up to the 2012 after one year on a CBR125 that I could hold up with one toe on a slippery off-camber road.

I tested the older wee and it felt pretty intimidating - the combination of bulky tank, wider seat around the thighs, and distribution of weight away from the bike's center did not mesh well with my size and experience.

The current model feels like a different bike. I don't see how 15 or so pounds could make a noticeable difference, but coupled with changes in weight distribution, the new narrower saddle, and a slimmer front end, the redesign changes the game a bit for smaller riders.

Right from the dealership, I felt comfortable doing tight parking lot turns, riding in stop-and-go-traffic, stopping on hills, etc - the usual worries for smaller riders. Great as a "first big bike" or for returning riders, even the size-challenged. Bonus points for those with dirt experience, and used to stretching one leg down to reach the ground.

·
Administrator
17,215 Posts
The Stroms are top heavy......the 1000 much more than the 650 however.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input.

I'd like to hear what any of the ladies think of 2012 if any have had time with one. I'm lucky (so folks tell me) in that I'm not short, about 5'8", and far from being a twig... gotta love Scandinavian bloodlines.

Val
I owned a K6 and now have a 2012.

It's less "droppy" than the old bike, damned if I can point to a single feature that makes it that way though. Seat is narrower, which helps, weight has moved lower, it's less bulky up front - but it shouldn't make that much difference - it just does.

It's also a LOT better off road than the older DL - again, I can't point to any one single reason why.

Still wouldn't call it a beginners bike, but if you are careful you should survive the experience.

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the additional comments everyone.

For a gal I'm on the taller side, but still only about a 30" inseam. And having not ridden for 25+ years, I may pick up a smaller, used bike to re-learn on. Something I can drop and few times and not freak out over. And light enough I can get out from under it and up on the wheels again. :thumbup:

Pete - I like that you have had both, so I respect your thoughs. Again, sounds like it woudln't be a bad idea to get a "re-learning" bike first.

Snowkarver - Thanks for the input, sounds like having some experiance on a smaller bike was a good idea, and a wise path I should follow.

Sounds like it is more newbie friendly, but may not be the best for me to jump right onto for a starter. Keep the comments comming, appreciate all the help. Really helping me keep the Wee on the short list.

Val

·
Registered
566 Posts
Valkiera: Good on you for getting back in to riding. Just a suggestion, you might look at getting a Yamaha TW200 for a couple months. It's a surprisingly good road and dirt bike to learn on. You can pretty much buy and sell a used one for the same price so it's a cheap way to get back into a feel for riding. I bought one for just this reason and ended up putting 10,000 miles on the bike in the 5 years I owned it. Before that I hadn't ridden in 30 years.

Now looking for a Wee to be able to do longer rides.

Tim

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm a 30" inseam

after owning it about a year and riding it 50% of that time it feels more manageable now than it did a year ago

my bike is lowered 3/4" rear and 5/8" front; and I wound the preload all the way to "low" (so the rear squats) and I adjusted the kickstand stop so the bike leans a useful amount on the kickstand

the bike looks big and that is intimidating - but its a sweetheart to ride

I learnt to ride on my EX250, whic wil be sold this spring

BTW - the P.O. had removed the rubber pads nder the seat body - to lower it - - I put them back for less vibration

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi VAL
I'm 5"7 and 32 inseem and female.
I've been riding 4yrs and started on a GS500 great bike.
I still consider myself to be a learner rider though.
But I was starting to feel cramped and got sore wrists, shoulders and back.

I looked at the older dl650 but it seemed huge to me and I could only tippy toe but I test rode the new one and I can get the balls of my feet down.

I now own a new 2012 vstrom

It feels less bulky and not top heavy at all when your on it.
It is so easy to ride and very comfy the seat is good for a couple of hundred K's and I have no buffeting problems.
I feel it's actually improving my riding technique especially cornering I feel more relaxed in myself and that helps with the confidence issue.

Manuvering is interesting though on uneven ground and when stopping I do continue to pick my spot but I did on the gs as well.
I haven't got the hang of manually pushing it around yet and getting it on the centre stand is almost comical its a bit hit and miss to how many attempts it takes, if I used as much force on the gs it would have been thrown across the garage.

I would say its definately less intimidating but it depends on how you feel on a bike as every one is different.

Hope this helps

Good luck with whatever you decide

Cheers Gotawee

·
Registered
3,992 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, thanks everyone for the continued input.

I'm currently riding a KLX 250 S to re-learn on, and having a good time. The Glee is still on the short list with the BMW F and G 650. I know one is a single, but all three bikes are of similar size/style/use. Hoping later in the summer to get a test ride on each.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Val, you are doing the right thing on your 250. Keep riding that until you feel the need for more bike.

Keep in mind that the strom can be lowered a bit. the front and rear suspension can be lowered, and the seat can be cut down (Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston is tops).

Take the riding course for the street riding, braking, cornering skills.

Post your location, and there will likely be a strom rider that'll take a ride with you. I'm in Port Townsend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts