StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, My mom has been looking for a new bike for a few weeks, she wanted something orange and black, as she just came off a KTM and she loves the colors. We found a V-Strom Adventure and decided the Strom was the bike for her. After finding out there was an orange model she was even more certain.

Problem is, all the dealers in the area have only the black adventure model and not the standard orange model. She wants to order one, but one dealer said that Suzuki is out of the orange one.

Do you think this is true? Did they make a batch of 2012 and send em' out and now there gone, or do they continually make new ones?

Thanks for the help guys

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There was a second manufacturing run scheduled. It may be a little while before more show up though and dealers will have to request more.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They seem less scarce here in the UK. The dealer where I bought mine had 3 others, one orange and two white. All ex-demos from Suzuki with very few miles and massive discounts.
Yes, I am one very happy bunny.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I expect that Suzuki got surprised by the number of new Wee's that have been sold already this year. That is not surprising as I was told by my local dealer that he had trouble selling then and several times got stuck with one and had to discount it to sell it in previous years. He didn't even order one for 2012 and then tells me that he has had 3 or 4 people in looking to buy one. If you read the magazines, it seems that the middle-weight dual sport motorcycles like the Wee have suddenly become popular. I have also noticed that I am getting a lot of comments from the public about my bike, a lot more than I am used to getting. I am personally glad I have held on to my 2007 and didn't try for a new one.

I don't remember what the last year of the "old" Wee's came out in orange but I am sure one of the members here can fill you in. You might want to consider picking up a nice used one of those.

·
Registered
275 Posts
it just depends where you live. I think my dealer has one around here and I was up in Wilkes Barre PA a few weeks ago and they had an orange one there as well. They don't sell well around here. The crowd here is mostly on Harleys.... some metric cruisers... or sport bikes and everything in-between sits..... like this CB1000 sitting at my local Honda dealer forever. I'm waiting till they need to unload it and I shall swoop in if the price is right

·
Registered
618 Posts
my dealer cant hold on to them either. i bought mine in april of 12 and it was the last 12 they had in stock and it was still in the crate! i havent seen a Metallic Fox Orange adv model, only black. Anyone know of the white ones even came to the US?

·
Registered
171 Posts
No More Orange Glees?

If Susi dealers have only all-black glees languishing in their inventories maybe the OP should consider purchasing one, if they can, at a discount. :fineprint:
Then, with the money saved, send out the colored parts to a body shop for an orange paint job - sorta like greywolf did with his (although his new color choice was yellow, which I really like!). :thumbup:
I wouldn't put too much faith in a second production batch. It's a very long supply/delivery chain from Japan to the USA. As I stated in a previous post, by the time these new glees show up they might as well call them 2013 models. :headbang:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Anyone know of the white ones even came to the US?
No, Suzuki USA only imported orange for the base edition, and black for the adventure. Strangely enough Canada, which is a market 1/10 the size, gets three editions (base, adventure, expedition), each available in black, white, or orange.

Marketing underestimated demand for comfy middleweight road-oriented adventure bikes and really blew this one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
No, Suzuki USA only imported orange for the base edition, and black for the adventure. Strangely enough Canada, which is a market 1/10 the size, gets three editions (base, adventure, expedition), each available in black, white, or orange.

Marketing underestimated demand for comfy middleweight road-oriented adventure bikes and really blew this one.
thanks for the info. i was lookin for a white one when i bought mine but couldnt seem to find one. guess this would explain why :(

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Most of the dealers in Louisville didn't even order any 2012 model Stroms, same with E-town. Some still have 2011's and want full price for them. The dealers order the bikes from the Suzuki rep. and based on the orders, that's what they make-so they don't have a bunch of leftover models. When they get caught with something "hot" and sells better than projected, they have to play catch-up! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Here in the U.S. Wee's only come in Orange (Standard Model) getting very hard to find, and Black (Adventure model) which seem to be plentiful around here. Part of the reason is the $1500 premium, you have to really like those ugly (IMO) cases

·
Registered
618 Posts
Here in the U.S. Wee's only come in Orange (Standard Model) getting very hard to find, and Black (Adventure model) which seem to be plentiful around here. Part of the reason is the $1500 premium, you have to really like those ugly (IMO) cases
agreed. plus those cases have really limited space! set of 20mm ammo cans are much cheaper and just as much if not more space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What cracked me up was that my dealer had both the 2011 & 2012 base model and they had no desire to move the 2011 it was a $200 difference between the 2 and were far more willing to work on the price of the 2012.

Orange 2012's are plentiful in california I've seen them at 4 dealers I've been too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dealer in Florida had one Orange Wee and no adventure models. I have not seen one other soul on a wee like mine (which I'm very happy about) around. Probably just the market, I'm right in between Tampa and Orlando FL which is big-time crouch rocket territory.. I love me some crouch rockets but I'm too big for em'.

agreed. plus those cases have really limited space! set of 20mm ammo cans are much cheaper and just as much if not more space.
Agreed x2.. Speaking of ammo cans, I had to hold back my monthly ammo allowance for riding gear for the strom!

·
Registered
438 Posts
There was a second manufacturing run scheduled. It may be a little while before more show up though and dealers will have to request more.
I wouldn't put too much faith in a second production batch. It's a very long supply/delivery chain from Japan to the USA. As I stated in a previous post, by the time these new glees show up they might as well call them 2013 models.
Geywolf, can you tell us source for your information? Did you get any time estimates?

A dealer that I trust more than most, put me on hold while he claimed to call his Suzuki rep. He came back and told me that the rep said that more 2012's are currently on US shores and waiting to clear customs. He further stated that they have 5 more on order and that when they order preseason like that, Suzuki is committed by contract to deliver the bikes.

I can't see how it would be to his advantage to fabricate this type of information, but OTH, he is a dealer, so who knows. I've been waiting for him to get some in since mid March and am 2nd on his list, but fear I may have to start looking elsewhere.

Anyways, if anybody has info that is more than speculation, I'd like to hear it and appreciate it if they described its source.

thx

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There was a dealer here who reported a second run. The last report was the bikes are on ships in transit. The dealer who was supposed to get my bike originally is guessing July for arrival at dealers in the USA. Who knows how accurate the info is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Whether the lack of product in dealerships was planned or unplanned by Suzuki, with the release of the new year model Suzuki is now sitting pretty knowing their WEE is being gobbled up by consumers here in the US and elsewhere in the world. 2 out of the 3 dealers I have spoken with don't know when they will see another Wee...they just can't put a time line on it, or so they say.

Hehehe....for now, I kinda like owning a bike that is a little hard to find at dealerships for now, rather than own a bike that everyone is riding.

Given the economic times we are in the US and world wide...Suzuki maybe just holding their fiscal cards close and not flooding the market with lots of a product that upon initial release may or may not sell. With the WEE, Suzuki got lucky!

More product demand than they predicted and it appears than they can supply right now....what a great position to be in IMHO.

For what its worth......

·
Registered
438 Posts
Whether the lack of product in dealerships was planned or unplanned by Suzuki, with the release of the new year model Suzuki is now sitting pretty knowing their WEE is being gobbled up by consumers here in the US and elsewhere in the world. 2 out of the 3 dealers ... don't know when they will see another Wee...
No, Suzuki is not sitting pretty. Having customers trying to buy your product and not being able to supply said product is not good for business. Most buyers are not like stromtroopers. If they can't get/look at a strom, they'll buy something else. Your premise seems to show a fundamental lack of understanding in regards to how large businesses try to forecast sales and supply product. Underestimation of demand is as harmful as over estimation.

Hehehe....for now, I kinda like owning a bike that is a little hard to find at dealerships for now, rather than own a bike that everyone is riding.
I find this opinion to be quite odd. If I am a big fan of a certain model, I would be happy that others are able to buy it, because it would promote the model and brand. Limited editions or customizing are perhaps the best choices for those that enjoy exclusivity.

Given the economic times we are in the US and world wide...Suzuki maybe just holding their fiscal cards close and not flooding the market with lots of a product that upon initial release may or may not sell. With the WEE, Suzuki got lucky!

More product demand than they predicted and it appears than they can supply right now....what a great position to be in IMHO.

For what its worth......
I don't understand what is so great for Suzuki by having customers clamoring for your product and not being able to supply said product. Vstroms are not like precious gems, or for that matter like limited edition models. Everyday now, in the prime moto sales season, people are going out and buying other bikes because they can't buy or even see a 2012 Strom. I'd imagine at Suzuki sales forecasting dept. some heads are rolling.

Enjoy your 2012, it appears that Suzuki may not catch up with demand for quite some time.

:confused::confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts