StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a skid plate for the 2012 DL650 for a basic bike not equipped with any type of crash bars? Everthing I seem to find bolts to the added bars...:headbang:

I just really want to protect my oil filter and hose from debris from the road.
I will probably never do any serious off road, perhaps a gravel or dirt road occasionally but nothing that I could see me needing a huge skid plate.

I have seen the Suzuki lower cowl but they are more proud of those things than they should be. $$$ is kind of high to me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
SW Motech doesn't connect to the crash bars on the 2012 DL 650...........TD

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification TD, I had looked at the twisted throttle website but saw the image of the 04-11.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dougalicious, that is kind of weird to say, that is more what I was looking for and at a much better price.

·
Registered
128 Posts
just put on SW Motech today also. like the look a lot, much better protection than oem i had on there!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ JayS,
What are you going to do with the factory cowling? Is it for sale?

Thanks,
Paul D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is there a skid plate for the 2012 DL650 for a basic bike not equipped with any type of crash bars? Everthing I seem to find bolts to the added bars...:headbang:

I just really want to protect my oil filter and hose from debris from the road.
I will probably never do any serious off road, perhaps a gravel or dirt road occasionally but nothing that I could see me needing a huge skid plate.

I have seen the Suzuki lower cowl but they are more proud of those things than they should be. $$$ is kind of high to me.

Thanks.
My thinking about a skid plate was similar to yours and I bought the SW Motech. Then I found the 2012 to be more off-pavement capable than I had expected and rode some tougher terrain, bashing the skid plate a few times. It held up fine, nothing more than a surface gouge or two.

One added benefit of the SW Motech - oil and filter changes can be done with it fully in place, no need to remove it, swing it to the side, etc.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another vote for Touratech

Installed the touratech a few weeks ago. Well made quality piece. I also wanted a skid plate that was separate from the crash bars. I think the form and function of this plate is perfect for my use of this bike. The touratech skid and hepco becker bars together look perfect to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts